INSIDER: The Mike Rose talk is legit

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
If we have three middle/inside linebackers that the coaches are comfortable with, I’d guess that makes it more likely that they play two of them at the same time (without shifting one of the outside guys inside) than if they only had one,
Umm...how can you guys possibly “disagree” that having three playable middle linebackers might offer more flexibility than just having one? o_O

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
Luke Kuechly 2.0. I hate it when you guys always try to downplay these guys. 3 star recruit from Ohio, will make over 150 tackles as a true freshman.

Reactions: Doc

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
He was actually called a "rover" which meant he played wherever he wanted to, but it was primarily as linebacker. I don't remember him ever being a defensive end. I know he played linebacker up in Minnesota in the NFL.

I think I recall a newspaper article where Johnny Majors said Matt played the Monster position. When asked "Where does the Monster play?" Johnny said, "Anywhere he wants to."

Edit: I see that Stormin' had already posted the Monster position in post #55. At least I had it right.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Aclone and Stormin

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Only here do we take a stand out true freshman as ominous news. We are loading up for years to come, regardless of Campbell's situation in the future we have a great stable being built.

• Agree
Reactions: Stormin

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
Who took it as being ominous news?

As a veteran of the Walden years, this worries me. Jiving Jimmy was always rolling out some freshman who was going to be great, way better than whatever stiff at that position they had the year before. But they always turned out to be just a younger stiff.

I'd be more confident if Orien Vance as a redshirt would have just outright won the spot because he was so good. We've heard good things about him too.

Hope I am just being a nervous nellie, and both are total dudes. If that is the case, then the D is going to be damn good.

This is my thought on MLB and the O Line. It's easy as fans to see it as the new guy just being awesome but the flip side is that guys that have been here for longer haven't locked the position down. I think it's great news for 2019, 2020, because clearly the young guys are talented but I'd hesitate calling it great news for this year.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Ah, thanks! So, two posts out of four pages? No wonder I didn’t pay much attention. Personally, I knew how much the coaches liked Vance, and thought that the fact that Rose was competing with him was impressive.

And yes, I was around for the Duncan, Criner and Walden years. Marcel Spears was one example that this staff is different.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I think I recall a newspaper article where Johnny Majors said Matt played the Monster position. When asked "Where does the Monster play?" Johnny said, "Anywhere he wants to."

Edit: I see that Stormin' had already posted the Monster position in post #55. At least I had it right.
Back in the day a Monster position was kind of like a cross between a SS and OLB. I'm sure people used the position differently, say like a spy, but often the position was kind of like an extra OLB that flipped to the offense's strong side, or used some other key to determine which side to line up.