INSIDER: The Mike Rose talk is legit

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
HS football in Ohio and TX in particular is amazing in terms of what kids know coming out of the program. I spent some time with a JC program in Iowa, and the kids from Iowa in general were WAY behind in terms of concepts and technique. Never had kids from Dowling, so I'd guess they may be more on par with other states, but even other good 4A programs' kids had a lot of catching up to do. I'm not surprised Rose is ready to step in from the mental aspect. It's impressive that he's ready physically as a true Fr.

While Lanning had his struggles, particularly at the beginning of the year, he did make a lot of plays and was really solid late in the year. My guess is Rose will step in and maybe not be the playmaker that JL was, but will be more sound in terms of assignments. Let's remember, he's got a lot more LB experience under his belt than JL had coming into the season.

I'll like any LB corps that has Spears. I love watching him play. Great example of a guy that's great with assignments, doesn't make mistakes and makes big-time plays.

Nuts4Cy

Mar 21, 2006
My guess this kid plays on special teams all season and mob up duty playing LB. Much like Hummel a year ago.

• Disagree
Reactions: clonedude

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Man, incredible that an unheralded true freshman is coming in and getting serious looks like this

It's not even like our LB corp is hurting for talent, either. Some of it relatively unproven (Vance, Hummel, then also McMillen and Sutton to an extent). But to see a true freshman come in and compete with those guys really shows how great this staff recruits.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
As a veteran of the Walden years, this worries me. Jiving Jimmy was always rolling out some freshman who was going to be great, way better than whatever stiff at that position they had the year before. But they always turned out to be just a younger stiff.

I'd be more confident if Orien Vance as a redshirt would have just outright won the spot because he was so good. We've heard good things about him too.

Hope I am just being a nervous nellie, and both are total dudes. If that is the case, then the D is going to be damn good.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I'll be honest, I don't follow recruiting too much and am really only intrigued by the number of stars and other teams that offered. Apparently this kid fits the "Diamond in the Rough" profile! I had to look him up to remember him. Here is his recruiting profile from 247.

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Michael-Rose-108799/RecruitInterests/

He was a good 3 star recruit, but I think he's hit the ground running for sure. He's someone I believe that they went after late and pulled away from a likely MAC commitment. I think he's got a pretty good head on his shoulders which is great for a young Mike LB.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
As a veteran of the Walden years, this worries me. Jiving Jimmy was always rolling out some freshman who was going to be great, way better than whatever stiff at that position they had the year before. But they always turned out to be just a younger stiff.

I'd be more confident if Orien Vance as a redshirt would have just outright won the spot because he was so good. We've heard good things about him too.

Hope I am just being a nervous nellie, and both are total dudes. If that is the case, then the D is going to be damn good.

I have a feeling you can trust Matt Campbell more than you did Jimmy.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Two things:

1. Those things don't have anything to do with each other

2. Lima isn't getting one-on-one matchups anyway.

I read an analysis of of our 3 man front last year, and it said a huge part of it’s success was having a MLB that did a great job of making reads and could cover two gaps. So if that’s true, than a different MLB could necessitate going more away from that.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.

Make no mistake about it, O'Rien Vance will be the starting MLB.

Doesn't mean guys like Northrup, Hummel, McMillen, Rose won't play quite a bit though.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
He was a good 3 star recruit, but I think he's hit the ground running for sure. He's someone I believe that they went after late and pulled away from a likely MAC commitment. I think he's got a pretty good head on his shoulders which is great for a young Mike LB.

I think with MLB this is critical, and why they put Lanning in that position last year. At least from my understanding, the MLB is responsible for getting that second level in position, and we have all seen what happens when guys get out of position.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA

This is my thought on MLB and the O Line. It's easy as fans to see it as the new guy just being awesome but the flip side is that guys that have been here for longer haven't locked the position down. I think it's great news for 2019, 2020, because clearly the young guys are talented but I'd hesitate calling it great news for this year.

• Agree
Reactions: burn587

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
MC wants to be multiple. Possible we'll see the 3-4? We have the DL to do it.

I don't see how we don't play with at least 5 DBs a majority of the time again. So it's a matter of whether it's a 4-2 or a 3-3 (like much of last year). Having depth at MLB allows them to play a 3-3 (i.e. having another LB other than Harvey and Spears on the field).

Unless the coaches feel they get enough from the 3 LBs in coverage and they don't need to have the 'Star' on the field and can go with a 4-3.

• Informative
Reactions: bosco