INSIDER: A few nuggets from the 8-11 scrimmage

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
I'm going to write more extensively about some background conversations I've been having but here are a few nuggets for you guys to chew on until then:

--- Tyrique Milton continues to impress. He's made big play after big play during scrimmage situations this fall camp. He's pushing DeShaunte Jones to start. My guess is Jones is still the guy but Milton is going to play - a lot. This is not just a spring hype story carrying over to camp. He's the real deal.

--- In addition to McDonald, another standout freshman defensive player that's been great during camp is Mike Rose, the linebacker out of Ohio.

--- Enyi Uwazurike is doing a lot of good thing. Progressing just like they had hoped.

--- From what I heard, the offense played well on Saturday. Had sounded like before that, the defensive line (which should be really good) had been giving them the business.

--- Colin Newell will likely win the center job, allowing JGJ to play left tackle. I'm thinking Mueller has the lead at LG right now. Oge is looking good enough to get reps but probably not good enough to start. Stay tuned.

I'll write more tonight after my kid goes to bed. Got a lot of notes for you guys.

Last edited:

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
In the spring you said a source told you that Milton would eventually be a “superstar” so soon rather than later is always good.

Reactions: The_Architect

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Couple questions for anyone in the know:

~ Carson Lensing wasn't in the "Chain Gang" group pic. Was he absent from media days? Is he injured again?

~ How did Sean Foster slide down the depth chart? Coach's doghouse? Grades? Effort?

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I'm going to write more extensively about some background conversations I've been having but here are a few nuggets for you guys to chew on until then:

--- Tyrique Milton continues to impress. He's made big play after big play during scrimmage situations this fall camp. He's pushing DeShaunte Jones to start. My guess is Jones is still the guy but Milton is going to play - a lot. This is not just a spring hype story carrying over to camp. He's the real deal.

--- In addition to McDonald, another standout freshman defensive player that's been great during camp is Mike Rose, the linebacker out of Ohio.

--- Enyi Uwazurike is doing a lot of good thing. Progressing just like they had hoped.

--- From what I heard, the offense played well on Saturday. Had sounded like before that, the defensive line (which should be really good) had been giving them the business.

--- Colin Newell will likely win the center job, allowing JGJ to play left tackle. I'm thinking Mueller has the lead at LG right now. Oge is looking good enough to get reps but probably not good enough to start. Stay tuned.

I'll write more tonight after my kid goes to bed. Got a lot of notes for you guys.

I Rose an inside or outside linebacker?

I was hoping that Oge would be a starter this year after sitting out last year due to injury. Is he just a little behind or have others improved enough to keep him out of the starting lineup? Seems like he was penciled in as a starter last year before his injury.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA

~ Carson Lensing wasn't in the "Chain Gang" group pic. Was he absent from media days? Is he injured again?

~ How did Sean Foster slide down the depth chart? Coach's doghouse? Grades? Effort?
was he not out the first game for DUI or underage in a bar?

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
I Rose an inside or outside linebacker?

I was hoping that Oge would be a starter this year after sitting out last year due to injury. Is he just a little behind or have others improved enough to keep him out of the starting lineup? Seems like he was penciled in as a starter last year before his injury.

I don't ever remember Oge being "penciled in" last year. He can be a good depth guy IMO.

• Informative
Reactions: CyCloned

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com

Not sure on Lensing.

Foster didn't grade out very well last year. A lot of development to do, which is normal. Remember he's still young. Don't think it is doghouse, grades or effort. He's currently behind two guys in Good-Jones and Meeker who have played a lot more than him.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Not sure on Lensing.

Foster didn't grade out very well last year. A lot of development to do, which is normal. Remember he's still young. Don't think it is doghouse, grades or effort. He's currently behind two guys in Good-Jones and Meeker who have played a lot more than him.

IIRC Jay Jordan (or someone else on a CF podcast) said Foster has pretty poor technique.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

Benadryl...now!

kccyclone3

May 16, 2015
Any word on who has the upper hand in the MLB battle between O'rien Vance and Northup?

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines
Man these guys know how to recruit and evaluate talent. Milton was the second lowest ranked recruit and below a 0.8 composite. Now looking to be a RFr breakout in a loaded WR corps. Niiice.

I've learned to mostly ignore rating services and pay attention to offers instead. He had a solid list (Michigan St, Rutgers, Louisville, Pitt, UCF, Kentucky) indicative of a guy who didn't receive much exposure for whatever reason.

Beats the hell out of Rhoads recruiting where we were beating out MAC schools most of the time.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I've learned to mostly ignore rating services and pay attention to offers instead. He had a solid list (Michigan St, Rutgers, Louisville, Pitt, UCF, Kentucky) indicative of a guy who didn't receive much exposure for whatever reason.

Beats the hell out of Rhoads recruiting where we were beating out MAC schools most of the time.

That's probably true. But it raises one question, what the heck are the recruiting ratings using if P5 offers and quality are not a part of the rating?

• Agree
Reactions: MeanDean

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
That's probably true. But it raises one question, what the heck are the recruiting ratings using if P5 offers and quality are not a part of the rating?

It depends how many camps the kids go to. If a recruit is injured and can't attend a bunch of camps, the recruiting services struggle with their evaluation/ranking.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Do they have special access to the camps or get the numbers that way? They don't sponsor the camps so I guess I don't see why the camps are given so much importance.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Sounds like players scrambling to get on the field and legit depth to me. Jones is a good player so the more the merrier.

Not sure the last time I just felt plain confident in what ISU had approaching football season.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron