Ingredients/Allergies

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
So let me preface by saying I’m not much of a beer drinker because it has always made me feel like **** after having even one or two. Stuffed up, swollen throat, instant headache, etc. Some beers are way worse than others but I don’t know enough to know why.

I had a Stella recently and realized I’m perfectly fine drinking them. A couple of the worst for me are Busch Light and Bud Light. What is in something like Busch that wouldn’t be (or at least a lot less of) in a Stella?

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
rice?
Bud is toxic to a lot of people. It is an interesting poison that I play roulette with too...

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
rice?
Bud is toxic to a lot of people. It is an interesting poison that I play roulette with too...

I know the cheap ones can be rice beers but I’m fine eating normal rice dishes, so I’d think that wouldn’t be the issue.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Just going off of my memory here. There are some toxins that are present in beers. Could be that the cheap and/or low alcohol beers would be more susceptible to these and that you seem to be especially sensitive. I think that I used to be somewhat sensitive to a few beers and Blue Moon seemed to be the worst.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Just going off of my memory here. There are some toxins that are present in beers. Could be that the cheap and/or low alcohol beers would be more susceptible to these and that you seem to be especially sensitive. I think that I used to be somewhat sensitive to a few beers and Blue Moon seemed to be the worst.

**cough**ALCOHOL**cough**

• Agree
Reactions: Clonefan94

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
Imports stick closer to the German Beer Purity Law, aka. Reinheitsgebot, for the most part. Especially lagers. This just limits the ingredients used in beer. Water, barley, hops, yeast. Domestic beers include a a different varieties of grains like corn and rice. The limited ingredients of imports probably helps. It is hard to say which protein is causing the reactions unless you know what you are allergic to.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Some beers, particularly wheat beers, make my tongue will swell up. Makes me talk like an idiot while drinking it (alcohol), and for two days after (allergy). Hasn't stopped me yet.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
As I have gotten older, I have developed some allergy issues with beer too. Funny thing is, Bud light is one of the beers that doesn't bother me. Two of the worst for me are Coors Light and Modelo. If I drink beer, I tend to drink Bud Light or Yuengling light. I also try to take an allergy pill earlier in the day. It seems to help prevent the itchy throat, stuffy nose, and breathing issues. A beer allergy definitely sucks though. Adds worry to what should just be a fun time.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Used to be that Budweiser, would give me the worst headache, just one of them and an hour later terrible headache. No problem with Bud light or other beers, but Bud was my Kryptonite, just gave up trying it, probably haven't had one in 30+ yrs.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Bump. Does anyone know the actual difference in ingredients in these beers? I’d love to take a break from the bourbon every once in awhile.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
It could be the hops used. Hops are actually toxic to dogs, so it wouldn't surprise me to find out you can be allergic to them. And with so many varieties, it would be possible to have some bother you more than others.

Also yeast can be an issue for some, although Bud Light filters this out. A lot of craft, especially wheat beers will still have residual yeast in them.

Could also be certain proteins that are formed during the brewing process. Mashing with rice with form different proteins than corn, especially when combined with certain barleys. So a cereal mashed rice is not the same as eating rice cooked on a stove.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Agree on the hops being a possible problem. Work with a guy who likes IPAs but when he drinks them he gets mild allergic reaction- puffy eyes, stuffy nose, swollen tongue.

He drinks Bud Light mostly and no problems. It could be the hops.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
IIRC, Busch Light uses corn as an adjunct and Budweiser uses rice. Not sure on Bud Light, but it may be rice also? So it seems weird to be something like that in both Bud Light and Busch.

And if it were hops, I'd think Stella would be WAYYY hoppier than Bud Light.

You hear of sulfites and other impurities in cheap alcohol bothering people. Which is why you'll get a worse hangover from Hawkeye Vodka vs Grey Goose. But not usually throat/tongue swelling.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Ceilac disease get tested especially if wheat beer makes things worse. It's how I found out I had it. Not gluten sensitive, not gluten intolerant, full blown celiac. It's not a choice unfortunately.