Improvement from last year

StratCY

Apr 22, 2011
Austin, TX
So it's obvious we are a better team than we were last year. I have heard time and time again what the process must be (to be a winning program) for a team like ISU over the course of a few years: lose big, lose small, win small, win big. After 6 games its easy to see the team progressing through this process. Look at our games compared to last year.

UNI: Last year: lost small 25-20 (-5)
This year: won medium by 42-24 (+16)
Great turnaround, controlled the game throughout. Point swing +21

Iowa: Last year: lost big 42-3 (-39)
This year: Lost small 44-41 in OT (-3)
Different Iowa team, but closed the gap sop to speak. We had chances to win throughout the game, but wernt able to get a stop when we needed it. Point swing +36

San Jose State: Last year: won big 44-10 (+34)
@Akron: This year: won big 41-14 (+27)
Different teams but still big wins (point wise). Point swing -7

Texas: Last year: lost big 27-6 (-21)
This year: lost small 17-7 (-10)
Defense improved tremendously , closer loss, but still a loss. Again, closed the gap so to speak. Point swing +11

@Oklahoma: Last year: lost small 34-24 (-10)
This year: Won small 38-31 (+7)
Biggest win of the season/history. Complete turnaround from last years close loss, players made plays when they had to, defense got stops when they needed them. Point swing +17

Kansas: Last year: Won small 31-24 (+7)
This year: Won big 45-0 (+45) lol
Kansas is terrible yes, but lots of signs we have a legit team this year. We looked sharp on D and special teams, completely dismantled that team. Last year we actually trailed 14-0 in the first half before coming back to win the game. Point swing +38

I dont think we will be winning by more than 56 in Lubbock this week, but I do think we have a great shot at winning.

So from last year to this year, the point swing among common/similar opponents is a staggering +116. That is unheard of. That means over 6 games, we are averaging a nearly 20 point swing (19.3) from games we played last year. Safe to say Campbell has already shown he can turn around a program. Im not saying this trend will continue through the next 6 games, but I am confident we will still see a positive trend the rest of the way.

Football is fun again!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron