Imbalance in College Sports

Discussion in 'General College Sports' started by Mr Janny, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Mr Janny

Mr Janny Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
    Staff Member Bookie SuperFanatic

Mar 27, 2006
    Ratings:
    +11,723 / 341 / -1
    Dennis Dodd of CBS, has a good article about what the Mel Tucker to MSU hire tells us about college football.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/fallout-from-mel-tuckers-move-extends-past-michigan-state-colorado-to-recruiting-the-pac-12-and-beyond/

He makes several good points, but the best in my opinion is about how there is so much gnashing of teeth when suggestions are made to allow college athletes more freedom to change schools or make money, because of the "imbalance" that it would supposedly create between teams, and how ludicrous that argument is considering the massive degree of imbalance that already exists.
    It seems like a no brainier to me, and yet so many will ignore/excuse that the imbalance exists while making their argument against the players.

Tucker's own quote from the article, with it's blatant hypocrisy, is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.
    "There is no transfer portal in the real world"
    What? How do you figure? I would guess a majority of us on this board enjoy "unfettered free agency" in our careers. I could walk out of my job right now and go join another company. Some of us might have non-compete agreements, but to say that a transfer portal doesn't exist in the real world is ridiculous. It's called LinkedIn or Glassdoor or Indeed.

It's either ignorant or deliberately false for him to say something like that, and becomes massively hypocritical given what has transpired.

Can whatever imbalance people are afraid of happening really be all that different than what we have now?

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    Ratings:
    +28,002 / 985 / -17
    Dudes that argue with the words "in the real world" have never been there. That's always a sign to me to take what they say as ignorant.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. CyOps

CyOps Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Cat Burglar
    Lincoln
    Ratings:
    +1,570 / 173 / -107
    Non-compete's are pretty worthless.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Al_4_State

Al_4_State Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Driftless Region
    Ratings:
    +7,756 / 304 / -1
    Kind of an unrelated aside, but Mel Tucker seems like a jerk off.

5. CyBobby

CyBobby Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Central Iowa
    Ratings:
    +1,213 / 220 / -5
    The Imbalance in College Athletics have been with us forever and will always be there, because most of it is Geographical.....ever see the elites of college football in last place...NO and you never will, because schools that reside in Texas or Pennsylvania or California have a huge population advantage over small less populace states, and that is not going to ever change.....and football esp is a numbers game, basketball is not quite as bad because you only need seven good players to compete at the highest level...

6. coolerifyoudid

coolerifyoudid Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Male
    KC
    Ratings:
    +16,410 / 195 / -0
    That quote is the real problem. Coaches and everyone else change jobs whenever they want. It's a job. If anyone leaves their job on short notice, they have to deal with the possible fallout that accompanies it. Fans can rip on the commitment aspect of what Tucker did, but, in that regard, he didn't do anything 99% of the population wouldn't have done when faced with that financial opportunity.

I'm all for hammering him about that holier-than-thou quote, though. Being a good coach anymore has as much to do with handling the public as it does with coaching the kids. Our society has encouraged coach-speak instead of the truth because the truth will get you fired or sued. But then coach-speak (i.e. I'm committed to blah blah blah) will get brought back up when you leave for more money.

7. CTTB78

CTTB78 Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2006
    Ratings:
    +4,277 / 229 / -1
    Maybe, but how do you explain the fall of USC football and UCLA basketball? Huge populations to recruit from can't hurt, but the coach and the 'system' they bring to the school makes the difference.

8. Sigmapolis

Sigmapolis Well-Known Member
    SuperFanatic SuperFanatic T2

Aug 10, 2011
    Male
    Washington, DC
    Ratings:
    +19,537 / 1,146 / -4
    "It's already imbalanced, so who cares if there is further imbalance?"

Not sure that is the greatest argument.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Mr Janny

Mr Janny Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
    Staff Member Bookie SuperFanatic

Mar 27, 2006
    Ratings:
    +11,723 / 341 / -1
    Sure it is. We're okay with the existing elephant at one end of the teeter totter, but will scream to high heaven about handing him a dumbbell? Pointing out that blatant hypocrisy is a fine argument to make.

We're okay with tons of imbalance but the minute it benefits an athlete? "Oh, that's too far!" It's absolute crap