Ignoring other posters and emojis

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
@ChrisMWilliams, @JStanz51 , @Conner_Ferguson,
I think that a good way to improve the site, would be to eliminate any record / or ability of an "ignored" person, to give an emoji comment (dumb, dislike, etc.) on a person's post who is "ignoring" them.
Perhaps, if you can't eliminate or change that, you could cap the number of 'dumbs' a person can do / make in a day or a weak. Or something similar. Maybe I am not the only person who feels this way.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Dumb this post if you have me on ignore
I don't have you on ignore, and no reason to.

It doesn't bother me that much. I guess enough to make this thread. Just thought it might be a way to improve the site. If the higher ups don't agree or can't change it, it won't bother me at all. I'll get over it.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
I agree about eliminating the "dumb" folder, or re-naming it,, but what I would like to see especially is the moderators policing the vicious stuff on real-life people who participate here (cf the ugly comment about wishing someone who had nothing to do with anything in the thread would get breast cancer. It was horrible, and totally unnecessary).

If they can remove political/religious comments for being in the wrong forum, they can take down the nasty sh*t, too.

That's not censorship. That's decency.

• Agree
Reactions: ClonesInDallas

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Dumb this post if you have me on ignore

I don't "dumb" any post because there is a huge difference between stupidity (a natural state - we are all "dumb" about something) and willful ignorance.

I would use a "willful ignorance" emoji in a heartbeat. In the meantime, there's Walter.

you've been Waltered.jpg

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I tend to put people that dumb a lot of posts on ignore, whether they are dumbing me or someone else. You can disagree without being disrespectful. All the discussions on sensitive topics could be more tolerable if people respected the opinions that differed from theirs, but that is not the world in which we live.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
I tend to put people that dumb a lot of posts on ignore, whether they are dumbing me or someone else. You can disagree without being disrespectful. All the discussions on sensitive topics could be more tolerable if people respected the opinions that differed from theirs, but that is not the world in which we live.

You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din.
I simply cannot respect homophobic, xenophobic, racist, or misogynistic opinions.
On the other hand, answering with facts rather than personal attacks on the folks who participate here is always a good strategy, so I am with you on that.

Reactions: t-noah

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
If someone one your ignore list dumbs you (so you don’t get the notification), do you really notice it? I do end up seeing the “dumbs” if someone else responds to my message but I don’t really notice. If they make a way where it doesn’t show up at all, great, but I think the current website does a good job of helping you tune out the people on ignore.

In terms of the dumb button in general, I do use it quite a bit, but would be fine with it going away. At the same time, is it that much more negative than saying you dislike someone’s post, that they’re naive, or that they’re a tool (dislike, optimistic, and useful respectively)?

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
See ISR forums. Have a bunch of trolls on ignore or dumb their posts. Yeahbuddy, IowaLoud and his 20 other usernames, 7got6, Thinker, Nate Stanley to name a few.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
If someone one your ignore list dumbs you (so you don’t get the notification), do you really notice it? I do end up seeing the “dumbs” if someone else responds to my message but I don’t really notice. If they make a way where it doesn’t show up at all, great, but I think the current website does a good job of helping you tune out the people on ignore.

In terms of the dumb button in general, I do use it quite a bit, but would be fine with it going away. At the same time, is it that much more negative than saying you dislike someone’s post, that they’re naive, or that they’re a tool (dislike, optimistic, and useful respectively)?
It seems a lot more negative to call someone dumb than to simply click that you disagree.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
It seems a lot more negative to call someone dumb than to simply click that you disagree.
I would agree with that. But I also save disagree for posts where I think the take is fine, I just happen to disagree with it.

But I don’t think “dumb” is that much more disrespectful than saying that you dislike a post or that a poster is naive or a tool

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I would agree with that. But I also save disagree for posts where I think the take is fine, I just happen to disagree with it.

But I don’t think “dumb” is that much more disrespectful than saying that you dislike a post or that a poster is naive or a tool
I hope you use disagree rather than dumb in your legal arguments. Just seek sanctions for something that is within the dumb realm.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
I hope you use disagree rather than dumb in your legal arguments. Just seek sanctions for something that is within the dumb realm.
I do, but that’s not relevant to this website. And I do “seek sanctions” on this website when possible (e.g. reporting bigoted posts.) But there’s a limit on what you can report things for

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I do, but that’s not relevant to this website. And I do “seek sanctions” on this website when possible (e.g. reporting bigoted posts.) But there’s a limit on what you can report things for
Reporting doesn’t help. They kept up a completely vile statement about people of a certain religion even though I reported it several times. So ignore is the best I can do.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
This thread needs the CF Top 10 posters for "dumb" emoji's used; that'll kick off the weekend with some excitement.
It’s probably like Facebook, the people post a picture of themselves in a “Be Kind” shirt and then espouse their hatred for some celebrity or politician. Like maybe the mods are at the top of the list for telling people they are dumb?:p