IGHSAU State Wrestling

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
$15 seems about on par and what I would expect. As far as cashless goes I see no issue
****. I pay $20 for my daughter’s gymnastics meets and they are all cashless.

1. Don’t tell my daughter this, but a gymnastics meet is NOT worth as much as a multi-session state wrestling tournament. It is, however, likely much more expensive to put on

2. Cashless is the way to go

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and wxman1

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
Whatever IGHSAU does next year, I'm sure they will make good improvements. They really have done a good job, from my perspective, this year. A $15 entry fee is nothing for what you get, cashless is fine, and the youtube channel and announcers have been good. Leaving it in Coralville would be fine too if they break it up a little bit more so everyone can get in (or you say its just right and raise prices slightly and keep it a little exclusive).

It's a good problem for IGHSAU and wrestling in the state to have!

Reactions: enisthemenace

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Whatever IGHSAU does next year, I'm sure they will make good improvements. They really have done a good job, from my perspective, this year. A $15 entry fee is nothing for what you get, cashless is fine, and the youtube channel and announcers have been good. Leaving it in Coralville would be fine too if they break it up a little bit more so everyone can get in (or you say its just right and raise prices slightly and keep it a little exclusive).

It is a good problem but you absolutely must figure out how to get everyone in. It is inexcusable for people to travel hours one way and not be able to get in.

GoCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
It is a good problem but you absolutely must figure out how to get everyone in. It is inexcusable for people to travel hours one way and not be able to get in.
+1. They offered online tickets beforehand this year, but they need to make sure there are enough tickets for everyone who want to attend. Every parent should be able to see their kid compete in person. The venue was very nice, just way too small. The lines for concessions were crazy long.

I think $15 is cheap for an event like this. Like a previous poster, my daughter competes in both gymnastics and wrestling. Gymnastics meets are $20 for a 2.5 hour session. I thought the $15 price for this meet was very reasonable.

GoCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Congrats to your daughter. As a long time girls head coach at the high school level, I have come to the realization that qualifying for state in any sport needs to be celebrated! I hope she enjoyed the experience!
Thanks. I told her to make sure and enjoy the experience. No many get to take part.

She has been wrestling for 2 years, and it has been fun watching the sport explode during that time. I have noticed the average talent level has significantly improved over the last year as more girls get involved, and as the returning ones get more time under their belt.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Thanks. I told her to make sure and enjoy the experience. No many get to take part.

She has been wrestling for 2 years, and it has been fun watching the sport explode during that time. I have noticed the average talent level has significantly improved over the last year as more girls get involved, and as the returning ones get more time under their belt.
I have been trying to talk my daughter into it for a few years. She has been doing gymnastics since she was 3, and thought that would be a good combo. She is small, limber and strong (body weight exercises for so long with gymnastics). I think where I lost her was when I suggested she take some judo classes to start before she got into wrestling. She would always say “I’m not doing karate, Dad”, to which I had to try to explain was a completely different discipline :D

I think she’s starting to come around to it. She’s a freshman and now she sees and knows girls who wrestle.

Reactions: NWICY

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I have not seen anyone complaining from my school, but for those that have attended, what are your thoughts on $15 admission and cashless arena?
I believe that is what the boys are. Went to a HS basketball game in Clarion this season and they were $8 for JV.

• Wow

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Obviously I am biased but CR offers a lot more IMO that being said as was stated with volleyball Coralville pretty much rolls out the red carpet and bends over backwards. CR got beat as they don't have that connected warm up space (I don't see why the large ball rooms can't be used for this as it is just a hallway away from the arena) as well as just basically going with the status quo.
Those are what USA used for weighing.

Reactions: wxman1

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I believe that is what the boys are. Went to a HS basketball game in Clarion this season and they were $8 for JV.

I haven't been to wrestling state tournament in 20 years. I was just comparing it to what I've paid for baseball and basketball state tournaments. Wrestling people clearly know what they're doing. $8 is crazy for jv basketball.

As far as cashless arena, I was more thinking of students that don't have debit cards yet. I'm sure they figured it out.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I haven't been to wrestling state tournament in 20 years. I was just comparing it to what I've paid for baseball and basketball state tournaments. Wrestling people clearly know what they're doing. $8 is crazy for jv basketball.

As far as cashless arena, I was more thinking of students that don't have debit cards yet. I'm sure they figured it out.
Most kids have debit cards. I got them for my kids around 3rd grade. I opened an account and threw 50 bucks on it. Now they tell me when they get gas and I transfer as needed. Added benefit is, I know where they have been since the charges show.

• Informative
Reactions: Cy4Lifer and NWICY

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008

Not to mention, and I’ll say this every chance I get, the IGHSAU absolutely laps the boys association when it comes to competence. So they’ll get this figured out

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Most kids have debit cards. I got them for my kids around 3rd grade. I opened an account and threw 50 bucks on it. Now they tell me when they get gas and I transfer as needed. Added benefit is, I know where they have been since the charges show.

I'm sure most kids do. I know three kids that took the pep bus up that did not.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

I hate the idea of raising prices too high on high school events even the championships. I like that the competitors families and friends can go with out much financial inconvenience For some of these families money might be tight. Especially if you bring the whole family to cheer them on.

Last edited:

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
Finals under way. Worthen from Union @ 105 lbs is relentless. Phillips from Mason City did a hell of a job just staying off her back and only getting beat 10-1. Awesome being able to watch this on YT but would love to be there. Hopefully my 3rd and 1st grade girls stick with wrestling and I get to watch them wrestle there some day!

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Someone should nudge the PBP and tell him "pin and fall" is not a thing.