If you're into it: My new podcast

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
I don't want to shove this down your guys' throats as it for the most part won't have much to do with Iowa State but I launched a new podcast last week with a trailer, and posted the first episode today on mental health with Lyndsey Fennelly.

This will be all over the board and very real, fun and sometimes heavy. Interview based.

I wouldn't be in a position to tackle projects like this if it weren't for my loyal CF audience so thank you guys for that and I hope you follow along with this new journey.

Apple Link: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...sodeGuid=f1bc74ac-58be-11ea-a731-37ebf81ed7a0

Stitcher:

erinmd32

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2015
It was great, it hit home with you talked about your backpack and waiting for the bus. I have spent years learning about how to manage my anxiety. Just recently my 11 year old daughter was diagnosed with OCD and therefore I am entering a new role in the mental health spectrum.

As a kindergarten teacher I am starting to see the effects of kids on screens in so many ways.....mostly kid's don't know how to be bored anymore which is incredibly important for many developmental reasons.

Thank you both for sharing vulnerable information.

Reactions: Blackhawk6515

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
So what's Lyndsey's reasoning that Prohm is going to turn the mbb program around?
The rest is really interesting also. CW you do good work and thanks to Lyndsey for stepping up and discussing a topic so close to her.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
So are you going to use this thread to link them as you finish these podcasts?

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Do you want us to listen before providing feedback, or just do our normal thing?

Feedback and LOUD noises always come first. So to that end I will solve your problem before listening.

Stop poisoning yourself first and then feed your body the nutrients of which it is starved. Ignore your doctors, I don't hate them but I hate the system that trained them now.

If you are anxious for no seemingly obvious reason then I highly recommend trying a Magnesium supplement. Any magnesium EXCEPT the oxide as that makes it worse. Magnesium Citrate or Malate are two well absorbed options. This helped me significantly. Also note that things like Alcohol and Coffee strip magnesium from the body which I believe is why many young people seem to have mental health problems. Avoid Calcium as these two need to be in balance and if you take Ca when you need Mg then the imbalance gets worse.

Other symptoms that point to Mg deficiency, and the one that pointed me in this direction. Grinding your teeth at night.
Often having muscle cramps, high blood pressure, and then the worst the I experienced a couple times - irregular heart beats. This can become a nasty reinforcing cycle with the anxiety for obvious reasons.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Feedback and LOUD noises always come first. So to that end I will solve your problem before listening.

Stop poisoning yourself first and then feed your body the nutrients of which it is starved. Ignore your doctors, I don't hate them but I hate the system that trained them now.

I had a friend last year who told me how she had been experiencing some anxiety, and to my own amazement her doctor told her to simply go out into her yard, barefoot, and just stand in some grass for several minutes, and it helped. Basically just real connection with quasi-natural surfaces instead of popping some pill.

Was refreshing to hear that as a recommendation.

Reactions: pulse

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
There are a ton of proposed plans for the city of Ames, campus to Main Street and beyond. Would love to hear a conversation with a council member with some insight on the process, what’s new, what we are missing.

Jack trice, Hilton and the new district
Main Street redevelopment
Skunk river kayak park
Bike trails
Research park
The list goes on...

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
For my part, I've taken to encouraging students (as an anonymous group) to take advantage of counseling services if anything should happen.
I just share briefly what they did for me when our first daughter died, and how they taught me to catch anxious signals, work through them, and process the whole thing in general.

So, if anyone's got some kind of overwhelming scenario they're fighting through, help is good.