If You Were a College MBB Coach, Would You Cheat?

Would You?

• Yes

• Yes, but Only If I Had Plausible Deniability

• No, Because it's Wrong

• No, Because of the Risk of Getting Caught

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
With this being in the news, I'm curious to hear what people personally would do. Assume that cheating is widespread, so your program likely would not be singled out like SMU football in the 80s.

I'm personally debating between options 1 and 4.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
No... not necessarily on moral principles since I need to win to keep my job, and if I don't and all of the competition is, it's natural to think that way. Many workplaces are like that now.

However, I have a feeling that none of these coaches, handlers, bagmen, etc. realized they were actually breaking the law and not just "rules".

Knowing what I know now... no way in hell i'd cheat. It's the FBI. I wonder how nervous some coaches are that haven't been implicated yet about past phone conversations. Not knowing if the phone was tapped or not.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
No... not necessarily on moral principles since I need to win to keep my job, and if I don't and all of the competition is, it's natural to think that way. Many workplaces are like that now.

However, I have a feeling that none of these coaches, handlers, bagmen, etc. realized they were actually breaking the law and not just "rules".

Knowing what I know now... no way in hell i'd cheat. It's the FBI. I wonder how nervous some coaches are that haven't been implicated yet about past phone conversations. Not knowing if the phone was tapped or not.

You dont think they knew they were breaking the law? Who are you? Pitino?

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
With this being in the news, I'm curious to hear what people personally would do. Assume that cheating is widespread, so your program likely would not be singled out like SMU football in the 80s.

I'm personally debating between options 1 and 4.

What it boils down to is looking yourself in the mirror each and every morning. I'm a win with character kind of guy.

Reactions: Cy83ag and Doc

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
For MBB coaches earning 7 figures a year, hell yes. Bring on the wins, bring in the cash, and retire comfortably after you get caught and (maybe) fired.

The entire incentive program in college sports encourages cheating.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
What it boils down to is looking yourself in the mirror each and every morning. I'm a win with character kind of guy.

That’s very respectable, but I wouldn’t view it as a major character flaw for a few reasons. CF is crapping out on me or aI’d elaborate.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Depends on where I'm coaching. If I'm at a place like ISU, not a chance in hell - I know I'm going to get nailed. If I were at a blueblood, well, the temptation would be a hell of a lot stronger, especially when I know the NCAA is giving me a slap on the wrist and a wink and a nod if I get caught.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
That’s very respectable, but I wouldn’t view it as a major character flaw for a few reasons. CF is crapping out on me or aI’d elaborate.

The fact someone can rationalize cheating means its a major character flaw to me. I'm wired completely different than most but it works for me.