If you could add one sport

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA
My own opinion is that any new sport should conform to the following:

1. It must be a sport that a significant number of Iowa high school athletes participate in.
2. It must be a sport in which other Big 12 conference schools field a team

As of today, I would support adding any of the following: baseball, men’s swimming, and men’s tennis.

I would not favor adding a men’s ice hockey team, or a men’s soccer team. There is no conference backing of these sports. However, because of the popularity of these sports with Iowa youth, I would whole-heartedly support efforts of our athletics department to lobby other member schools of the Big 12 conference to begin ice hockey and men’s soccer programs. I think the conference is missing out on a couple of great sports here.

I would not be in favor of adding men’s gymnastics, women’s field hockey, men’s volleyball, or men’s lacrosse. These do not offer an opportunity to a large enough pool of Iowa high school youth.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
The team I would like to see added is hockey, the team that would make the most sense adding is men's swimming. We have the facilities, the tradition, and it would nicely complement our women's team.

The other problem that we would have ot think about is title 9. I realize I said add one sport, but we may be forced to add two sports.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
Swimming isn't difficult to recruit simply because it is based largely on time. You dont' have coaches running all over to see swimmers, and in most cases, recruits aren't flown in for visits.
That said Men's swimming isn't coming back considering ISU is building a new rec facility that didnt' include a competition pool. This is sad considering what Tornadoman said is very true about schools having both Women's and Men's programs.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I would love to see hockey, it was one of my favorite things to watch when I was at ISU. I'm not sure that would give me the same feeling though, that it did at the old Ice rink out by towers.

I did some reading on ice sheets though, in big arenas. I didn't get any exact numbers, but they all keep the ice up, year around. Unless a big gig comes in like the circus or something that takes over for weeks at a time. I can't imagine the cost in keeping the floor frozen in Hiltong? I can't imagine that it would be a cheap venture.

My next choice would be baseball. Which again, leads to a lot of cost just to give them a playable surface and decent facilities. At least with swimming and diving we already have something for them. I'm sure it could use an upgrade, but it seems like an easy fit since their facilities are the same as the womens' team we already have.

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
Men's swimming, it's silly to not have both men's and women's program, it hurts swimming recruiting

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
Swimming isn't difficult to recruit simply because it is based largely on time. You dont' have coaches running all over to see swimmers, and in most cases, recruits aren't flown in for visits.
That said Men's swimming isn't coming back considering ISU is building a new rec facility that didnt' include a competition pool. This is sad considering what Tornadoman said is very true about schools having both Women's and Men's programs.

We have a competitive pool and the reason for building the pool onto state is so that our competitive pool is freed up for competition and practice.

Clonegrad07

Jul 22, 2008
North Carolina
baseball.... iowa, illinois, nebraska, michigan st, etc. can all be competitive in baseball, there is NO reason we can't be. There are some VERY good baseball players in the state of Iowa to recruit.

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
I don't mean to offend anyone with this, it's just an observation: I find it interesting that so many people would like to see baseball brought back. How many people did we typically get at our baseball games? I know I never went to a game, but I'm not a baseball fan in general. It just seems like so many people want to see baseball brought back now...where was that support in the years leading up to it being dropped?

I understand where you are coming from...unfortunately I lived too far away to attend any baseball games, but living in DM I would definitely go to my fair share of them now. I think college baseball is becoming more popular as well, could you imagine if we made the CWS, there would be a TON of fans in Omaha

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
We have a competitive pool and the reason for building the pool onto state is so that our competitive pool is freed up for competition and practice.

We have a competition pool, but we don't have a "competitive pool". Although I love Beyer, Men's swimming won't be brought back if they are to swim at the current facility which is the worst in the conference and would be the worst in the Big 10. Yes, JP mentioned a long time ago that he wanted to bring Men's Swimming back eventually, but that was prior to the decision on the new facility.
The new facility doesn't free up Beyer for practice and competition, but rather it frees up more time for all other students, which is OK.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
We have a competition pool, but we don't have a "competitive pool". Although I love Beyer, Men's swimming won't be brought back if they are to swim at the current facility which is the worst in the conference and would be the worst in the Big 10. Yes, JP mentioned a long time ago that he wanted to bring Men's Swimming back eventually, but that was prior to the decision on the new facility.
The new facility doesn't free up Beyer for practice and competition, but rather it frees up more time for all other students, which is OK.

Agree the Beyer pool is the worst in the conference.
The "original" plans for the new rec facility included a new competition pool (like U of I is building) but our athletic department couldn't afford the price tag, and it was taken out.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
According to the NCAA, there are over 100 teams competing in NCAA Division I swimming.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
I think the only reason baseball is being brought up as much as it is, is because it is the only sport in competition right now, unless we want to bring NASCAR to ISU as a sport.

galactawitz

Nov 27, 2007
Ames
I think the only reason baseball is being brought up as much as it is, is because it is the only sport in competition right now, unless we want to bring NASCAR to ISU as a sport.

I disagree with that reasoning. Granted I am biased because I have been a baseball coach for awhile and it is my favorite high school sport. My reasoning is that it had been a part of ISU for 100 years, and every other Big 12 school had it when we dropped it. The big 12 still has 10 teams with baseball. We have a facility, admittedly not great but we have one. Being the only state that plays summer baseball I feel gives us an advantage on recruiting players late that might not have been discovered yet. Also, since UNI just dropped their program, it would be the perfect time to come back because there is now less D1 competition for recruits. I think we could really compete with Iowa for recruits because we would play a lot of games in Texas, where as most of Iowas games in the South are early in the year when baseball can't be played here. I think it makes a lot of sense to bring baseball back soon.