If you could add a couple of players from the McCarney years to this year's roster

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
Reading this thread I realize a McCarney All-Star team would be pretty impressive. I stand by my Hobbs and Berryman answer, but DJax, Ace, the OL named, Blythe, Flynn...hard to pick 2.

(shameless plug for DJax's restaurant Winners bbq in Plano)

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
Honestly, 1st name that popped out at me was Dustin Avey at Strong Safety.

So my list is Ben Bruns, Seneca Wallace, Dustin Avey, and Lane Danielson.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I am taking this more literal - this years team and it's needs, and "a couple" so I will limit it to just two players:
James Reed & Reggie Hayward.

Now how much better does that defense look?

Next two in are Dobbins and probably Alvin Bowen, thinking Bowen was the best LB in that era.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Honestly, 1st name that popped out at me was Dustin Avey at Strong Safety.

So my list is Ben Bruns, Seneca Wallace, Dustin Avey, and Lane Danielson.

I had couple of classes with Avey in Fall 2000 and remember one day in Mid September our professor was discussing about team success and he suddenly asked "Dustin, frankly our football team cannot be considered successful. What doyou think the problems are?" to start the discussion among students.

I couldn't stop smiling when recalling the situation... of course they ended up making history.

Other than have been listed by the others, Kevin deRonde would be a good addition too.

Reactions: Antihawk240

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
I'll pick 2 from each side of the ball

DEFENSE: Reed and Hayward. Easy choice as the line would be set and make everyone else look better. Honorable mention for Ace Bowen, Rubin, Dobbins, and Hobbs.

Bowen seems like he'd be a perfect LB in this league. Rubin you could put in for Reed if you want. While Hobbs was great, we are ok at DB.

OFFENSE: Pick the 2 best offensive lineman.

I was tempted to say Seneca but if you put the 2 best OL he had w/ this team, I think they do just fine under Park.

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
I had couple of classes with Avey in Fall 2000 and remember one day in Mid September our professor was discussing about team success and he suddenly asked "Dustin, frankly our football team cannot be considered successful. What doyou think the problems are?" to start the discussion among students.

I couldn't stop smiling when recalling the situation... of course they ended up making history.

Other than have been listed by the others, Kevin deRonde would be a good addition too.

If I remember correctly, Avey tore his ACL on one of the last plays of the game at the bowl game his Senior year. I want to believe, if healthy, he could have been drafted in the late rounds or make his way onto a roster, but back in 2000 an ACL that close to the draft pretty much ensured his playing days were over. I do think he was very intelligent so I hope his degree took care of him income wise.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
2 from each side of the ball.....

Offense- Seneca, best OL (Brant maybe?)

Defense- Rubin, Dobbins (nobody would go anywhere up the middle on us, so everything would get strung outside.

*anyone who doesn't pick Seneca for this answer has no idea what they are talking about. Sure, Park looks like he could be a decent QB for us, but it's still a bit of an unknown. IMO, ISU has never had a playmaker like Seneca Wallace. He won many games nearly all by himself. It's easy to say Troy Davis, but I think as long as you have a decent OL, the RB position will be fine.

What's kinda pathetic about this exercise is that it's extremely difficult to come up with any OL names to include, and that's probably the position we might need the most. I wish KO played for McCarney, I would pick him before Seneca in a heartbeat.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
If I remember correctly, Avey tore his ACL on one of the last plays of the game at the bowl game his Senior year. I want to believe, if healthy, he could have been drafted in the late rounds or make his way onto a roster, but back in 2000 an ACL that close to the draft pretty much ensured his playing days were over. I do think he was very intelligent so I hope his degree took care of him income wise.

I remember talking to him in mid season and hebsaid that eith the injuries he's had, he had no desire to go to the NFL and probably wouldn't make it. He got a job offer in the Fall and he already graduated in May. You're correct, he tore an ACL in thr bowl game.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Berryman, Hayward, Reed

Bruns and Oliver Ross are two of the O linemen names some of you were looking for. We could really use those two guys.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron