If we go winless in the conference, does Prohm get fired?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Haven't read through the entire thread but we should just "Jim Harbaugh" him at this point. I don't know Prohm's contract situation for certain, but think I read he's signed through 2025. From here on out, no extensions and no non-contractual raises (unless, by some kind of miracle, he ends up building a competitive team). I realize all these coaches say they need to be under contract for 4-5 years at all times for recruiting purposes, it just isn't worth it right now to keep extending him to make that happen and in turn keep his buyout high.

This is apparently what they've done to Harbaugh at Michigan. They saw his program deteriorating and haven't extended him; think he only has one year left on his contract now.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
Hoiberg gets tons of credit for his coaching. But those teams had the mental aspect of the game down. Ejim, Kane, Naz, Georges, Monte...all heady players for whom the game never seemed to be going too fast, even as youngsters. You can develop that in players but it has to be there.

Those guys had fun on the court. Most were always smiling or laughing.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I do just want to say one thing, there’s going to be pain in football around here sooner rather than later. Hate to break it to everyone but we’re going to rebuild at some point there to and miss a bowl game or “underachieve” (media sets those expectations so it’s ******** but nonetheless) Hope everyone remembers that.

That'll be the yr that there will be thread after thread about looking for the coach that can "take us to the next level"

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
I know I've said this before but he got this job based on a low major job where he was left 2 NBA guards, an absolute unicorn at that level.

The difference between the OVC level and the A10, Valley, Mountain West level and the P6 is massive (see McDermott, Greg) and the gap between the OVC/low major level and the A10, Valley, Mountain West level is huge as well. Prohm hit the jackpot and cashed in and there was no way he was ready or anywhere near capable of sustaining success at the P6 level. Would have been much better off with a P6 assistant who had at least coached and recruited at that level.

correct, he was never qualified to be a high major coach

• Winner
Reactions: isufanz1

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Something is off with Prohm, and it's not just x's and o's stuff, offense/defense/rebounding flaws etc. It is between the ears of the players. We have seen it for years now. They don't play with intensity or urgency. They aren't hustling after 50/50 balls or skying for rebounds. King McClure said it best last night, a Scott Drew player so it makes sense, something along the lines of K-State was winning/won because they wanted it more. Prohm teams never seem to "want it" more than the other guys. Sometimes they can win just off of sheer talent, see the 18-19 team, but more often than not, this team comes off as lazy or disinterested. That is something you never see from Drew, Huggy, or Bruce Weber teams. Those teams might not always be the most talented, but you are always seeing 110% effort and will-to-win from them. Maybe effort can't be coached, but it's on Prohm to bring in players that want to put in a little. We have too many guys who like to wine and complain and just seem to be overall head cases when things aren't going their way.

I agree with No Urgency and Not enough Intensity or will to do whatever it takes to WIN....

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
It's $5 a month. Even though the basketball team is bad this year, it's still my team and I want to watch the games.
Nothing wrong with that. Life is short though, watching what we saw against KSU the other night 21 more times this year gets old fast.

Reactions: CyBobby

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
We do so many things that really bad teams do, and we do them consistently. We also have no complete players, everyone has a weakness that gets exposed. I'm just sad that something my family and I enjoy is going to be excruciating for the next 21 games, as @awd4cy pointed out.

• Informative
Reactions: CyBobby

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
We do so many things that really bad teams do, and we do them consistently. We also have no complete players, everyone has a weakness that gets exposed. I'm just sad that something my family and I enjoy is going to be excruciating for the next 21 games, as @awd4cy pointed out.
Next 21 games seems optimistic. I agree with everything else you said

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I know its a different sport and school (obviously) but Auburn ate almost 7x Prohm's buyout amount to move on from Gus Malzahn...

Give me our equivalent sugar mommy's address (or heck, sugar daddy, I don't care) and I'll make it happen.

I think the issue is not having the rolodex or the cashflow that Auburn has.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I realize a contract is a contract but if this team goes 0-18 would Prohm be a man and just leave without his 2.7 million? Talk about fleecing the university if demands his 2.7 million with the results hes achieved.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
Something is off with Prohm, and it's not just x's and o's stuff, offense/defense/rebounding flaws etc. It is between the ears of the players. We have seen it for years now. They don't play with intensity or urgency. They aren't hustling after 50/50 balls or skying for rebounds. King McClure said it best last night, a Scott Drew player so it makes sense, something along the lines of K-State was winning/won because they wanted it more. Prohm teams never seem to "want it" more than the other guys. Sometimes they can win just off of sheer talent, see the 18-19 team, but more often than not, this team comes off as lazy or disinterested. That is something you never see from Drew, Huggy, or Bruce Weber teams. Those teams might not always be the most talented, but you are always seeing 110% effort and will-to-win from them. Maybe effort can't be coached, but it's on Prohm to bring in players that want to put in a little. We have too many guys who like to wine and complain and just seem to be overall head cases when things aren't going their way.

It seems like things were building until Neill Berry left for Texas - it does not seem that Coach Kane has helped bring in near the level of talent or helped to grow them like his predecessors. That has been the only change on the coaching staff.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Haven't read through the entire thread but we should just "Jim Harbaugh" him at this point. I don't know Prohm's contract situation for certain, but think I read he's signed through 2025. From here on out, no extensions and no non-contractual raises (unless, by some kind of miracle, he ends up building a competitive team). I realize all these coaches say they need to be under contract for 4-5 years at all times for recruiting purposes, it just isn't worth it right now to keep extending him to make that happen and in turn keep his buyout high.

This is apparently what they've done to Harbaugh at Michigan. They saw his program deteriorating and haven't extended him; think he only has one year left on his contract now.

That's the key point here.

4 more seasons like this...

If revenues get better and next year is more of the same it's time to really look into 'CPR'ing the situation.

Irish1

Feb 5, 2016
I think there are guys trying hard but when you are putting forth effort in the wrong ways it doesn't matter. Example, if you are going for steals you can't get or overhelping off of shooters, you may be trying hard but it is hurting the team. You also have to know what the hell you are doing out there. I think a lot of times Prohm has guys playing hard but they have no direction/look lost.
That is a coaching/teaching issue