If we can get to 6-6...

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I think we get into a bowl game this year. I know I'm getting the cart way ahead of the horse but I believe there are 8 Big 12 bowl tie ins and I'm guessing the Big 12 will get 2 into the BCS. That means 9 bowl games for Big 12 teams.

Based on how things have played out so far this year in the Big 12 I would be on the following teams getting into bowl games:

Missouri
KU
Nebraska
Colorado
OU
Texas
Tech
OSU

Basically everyone but K-State, Baylor, and A&M. That leaves one bowl game for one more Big 12 team. With all of the cupcake schedules these days, I think the days of 6-6 teams making an at-large bowl game are over (see Iowa last year).

I think this weekend's UNLV game could decide if we become bowl eligible this year. I don't see us winning 4 conference games but I could make a case for us winning 3.

Again, I know there are a bunch of ifs but fun to think about.

Benny34

Nov 29, 2007
Plus 4 more teams get to go to bowls this year compared to last year...

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
One things for sure:

If you're talking about a possible bowl berth, this weekend is a must win.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Even if we get 6 we'll likely end up in some crummy bowl which for exposure is not a bad thing but unless it was a great destination I doubt I'd travel to it.

Right now I'd say let's worry about winning from game to game...

Gordyo5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 3, 2007
Glenwood, Ia
If we got 6-6, I would rather not be in a bowl game. I guess I am not a big fan of rewarding teams that are .500, even if it comes in one of the two hardest conferences. It leaves us with a chance to have a losing record. 6 wins would be a huge improvement from last year, but to make a bowl game out of it to me is just not right.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
If we got 6-6, I would rather not be in a bowl game. I guess I am not a big fan of rewarding teams that are .500, even if it comes in one of the two hardest conferences. It leaves us with a chance to have a losing record. 6 wins would be a huge improvement from last year, but to make a bowl game out of it to me is just not right.

We should go, just to get the Freshmen the extra practices, but I probably wouldn't go...

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA

Our program is in no place to be turning down bowl bids. The extra month of practice would be huge for our young players going forward in the future.

Right or wrong, take the money and run.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Our program is in no place to be turning down bowl bids. The extra month of practice would be huge for our young players going forward in the future.

Right or wrong, take the money and run.

Agreed. It's not our fault there are too many bowl games. There is a 0.00% chance we turn down a bowl bid.

cycloneryan

May 21, 2006
Des Moines
I really wanted to go to Vegas this weekend and relax, but as has been stated a few times on this post, this game is HUGE for us. I agree with the thought that this week is a must win for us. GO STATE!!!

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I know we're just killing time here til sat nite....but lets from now on just take "one game at a time"!!!

Men I know its fun to look ahead but its way too early to opine about a bowl game.

One of you computer guru's (is my brother-in-law listening)...should see how many times we have lost to Iowa and went to a bowl game. I sure dont have the answer except we went in 1977 to the Peach Bowl in Fulton Co Stadium in Atlanta Ga and I was there watching said bowl game! Other than that I dont have the answer to that question!!

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Bowl Season - UI game result
1971 - DNP
1972 - DNP
1977 - L
1978 - W
2000 - W
2001 - W
2002 - W
2004 - L
2005 - W

ISUonthemove

Jan 31, 2007
Altoona
Even if we do win this weekend, we will have a tough time getting to 6 wins. We can do it, but it won't be easy.

We have a chance to win 5 out of 5 against Baylor, A&M, Nebraska, Colorado or K-State.

And we have a chance to lose 5 out of 5 against the same teams.

I see us winning two of those game, MAYBE three. 5 wins is a big improvement in my mind.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
We can't opine? "One game at a time" is for participants. Should we stop talking about recruiting until every player is signed?

Sorry, one game at a time is a huge pet peeve of as far as I'm concerned.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
I am a bit surprised that some people are saying we should be turning down a bowl invite.

More practice + more exposure + more revenue (debatable for minor bowls) = good.

This team needs experience, and they'll get more of it even if they have to play in Detroit, Boise, or even freakin' Canada. And I, as a Cyclone fan, will cheer them on every step of the way.

nj829

Mar 18, 2006
Northwest Arkansas
I think as long at the team can break even on a bowl trip, the practice time is too much to pass up, as well as exposure, how minimal it may be.