If the NCAA tournament doesn’t happen...

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
If the tournament is not played ...the NCAA will be bankrupt since the MBB tournament pays for basically all the NCAA operations for the year. I doubt CBS TNT have to play them if the games are not played.

I think the payment is over $1 billion per year!

Yeah it is a huge huge loss to college basketball and the NCAA. Lots of small schools who depend on that revenue will really be hit hard. I would bet there is some kind of disaster insurance though but I doubt it covers everything.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
If the tournament is not played ...the NCAA will be bankrupt since the MBB tournament pays for basically all the NCAA operations for the year. I doubt CBS TNT have to play them if the games are not played.

I think the payment is over $1 billion per year!

I don't know how things work at that level, but you'd think the NCAA would have a pretty hefty insurance policy to protect them in case of catastrophe or epidemic or act of God or whatever might cause the tournament to be canceled.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I had Cowherd on the radio in the car this afternoon while driving between buildings and he suggested that the NCAA still should hold selection Sunday so these teams and players still get the satisfaction and recognition they deserve for their seasons. A team like Rutgers is set to make their first appearance in a long time so don't short change those kinds of programs and student athletes that worked hard this season to get in a position for the postseason and at least seed a bracket out regardless. At the very least then announce you are delaying the tournament and see if you can come up with a logical plan to play it in a shorter time period across fewer locations so if there is a chance you can play it in early April if it's still possible.

The thing that sucks about this is it has to be completed before finals so the window to reschedule it is pretty small. At least the professional leagues can just shorten up their seasons or extend their seasons a little bit later on in MLB case just start later like they need to anyways because it's usually too damn cold for the start of baseball season up north anyways.

Reactions: Halincandenza

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Yeah it is a huge huge loss to college basketball and the NCAA. Lots of small schools who depend on that revenue will really be hit hard. I would bet there is some kind of disaster insurance though but I doubt it covers everything.
I can guarantee you the NCAA has a Lloyd's of London policy for the tournament. The financial losers will be the hosting cities, not the NCAA.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I don't know how things work at that level, but you'd think the NCAA would have a pretty hefty insurance policy to protect them in case of catastrophe or epidemic or act of God or whatever might cause the tournament to be canceled.

There was a sports management (he organizes the SEC baseball tourny for example) guy on ESPN radio yesterday and said there are insurance policies but all the ones he has ever had had a clause for pandemics. Meaning they wouldn't pay out for a cancellation due to a pandemic.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: CTTB78 and Jer

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I had Cowherd on the radio in the car this afternoon while driving between buildings and he suggested that the NCAA still should hold selection Sunday so these teams and players still get the satisfaction and recognition they deserve for their seasons. A team like Rutgers is set to make their first appearance in a long time so don't short change those kinds of programs and student athletes that worked hard this season to get in a position for the postseason and at least seed a bracket out regardless. At the very least then announce you are delaying the tournament and see if you can come up with a logical plan to play it in a shorter time period across fewer locations so if there is a chance you can play it in early April if it's still possible.

The thing that sucks about this is it has to be completed before finals so the window to reschedule it is pretty small. At least the professional leagues can just shorten up their seasons or extend their seasons a little bit later on in MLB case just start later like they need to anyways because it's usually too damn cold for the start of baseball season up north anyways.

Not sure how they can though, the auto bids shake things up a lot.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
There was a sports management (he organizes the SEC baseball tourny for example) guy on ESPN radio yesterday and said there are insurance policies but all the ones he has ever had had a clause for pandemics. Meaning they wouldn't pay out for a cancellation due to a pandemic.

That makes sense. Also, it isn't like they would willingly pay out the whole thing. They would try and fight it and say NCAA could have played games without fans or some other argument etc.

• Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
With Duke and Kansas pulling out, there is no chance it doesn't get cancelled. Considering the Duke leader that made the decision is on the board for the NCAA, he likely knows the decision already.
Are all of the vasectomies cancelled?

While I know these aren't related I couldn't help but giggle.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
What are the coaches more worried about, the athletes or the performance bonuses they won't receive if the games aren't paid?