If Kansas leaves the Big 12 for the PAC, who do you take back?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I was curious on the difference in numbers between Apple+ and Amazon, in subs. Huge.

According to this site:

Amazon: 175 million Subs
Apple+: 19 million Subs
ESPN+: 14.9 million Subs
Anyone that has an Amazon Prime account, gets free streaming through their network. That is the difference between it and the others.

I have never seen how many people actually use their streaming or even know they have it.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Anyone that has an Amazon Prime account, gets free streaming through their network. That is the difference between it and the others.

I have never seen how many people actually use their streaming or even know they have it.
Right, I dont use mine a lot for streaming. But, if there is a show that I want I will. Now if it picked up College football, that would change.

I think the fact that if they pick up a major conference and host a number of games, that there is so many that have subbed already and it is readily available to so many is a good thing.

Amazon is probably a better deal as far as viewership availability, although they are in their infancy when it comes to hosting live programing and live athletics, same with Apple+. Although Apple+ could be more interested in upping the bids for such content as they may see it as a way to boost subs.

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008

According to the article Amazon Prime has 200 million members and Amazon claims 175 million of them have streamed at least one show in the last year. Higher than I would have guessed.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
You forgot one other huge thing. The increased sales from the people using amazon to buy stuff. They don’t sell those products for the other companies out of the goodness of their heart. They are getting a cut on every sale.
That is exactly why live sports has value that could escalate media rights fees. Watching TV could turn from a passive experience (for those that don't scream at the screen), to an active experience:
  1. Take picture of QR on screen to order a pizza..
  2. Place a bet on the game.
  3. Order tickets or buy team apparel.
The next 6 months will definitely be interesting. First what happens with the Big10 media deal and if Pac12 initial negotiations indicate they can strike a proportionate TV deal (aka at least 60% of Big10 $ per school).

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
The next 6 months will definitely be interesting. First what happens with the Big10 media deal and if Pac12 initial negotiations indicate they can strike a proportionate TV deal (aka at least 60% of Big10 $ per school).
If the initial offer to them is 60% or less, they will be actively exploring expansion alternatives with B12 schools.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Don’t have the time or inclination to read through the entire thread, but why TF would KU leave to join the PAC?

• Winner
Reactions: Gorm

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Agree. Or the Pac12 big boys first look at options in Big10, SEC or as independents.
They may want to go there but neither of those two conferences will expand with P12 schools two time zones away. And going Indy destroys their other sports.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Don’t have the time or inclination to read through the entire thread, but why TF would KU leave to join the PAC?
Because Some clown Purple kitten "insider", named Kurtz read it on some Jayhawk fan board that a few of their fans think/want that. And he pushed it on his wildly popular Youtube show with tens of viewers, claiming that it was from his inside sources at Kansas. :rolleyes:

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
They may want to go there but neither of those two conferences will expand with P12 schools two time zones away. And going Indy destroys their other sports.
Pretty sure if KU joined the PAC the state of Kansas would join the mountain time zone.

• Creative
Reactions: 2speedy1

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
The time zone deal is a non issue. The SEC conference has 11 teams in the Central Zone.

With linear TV it was important to go with a set schedule like: 11/2:30/7pm. But with streaming there is greater flexibility to start. Look at the Cyclones schedule this fall, the games against SEMO & Ohio on ESPN+ have 1pm CT starts.

So a USC at LSU game could kick at 3pm CT/1pm PT or even a FL at OR game kicks off at 8p ET/5pm PT.

At most a team is going to jump a couple time zones maybe once a month. I don't recall it being an issue all these years when ND plays USC or Stanford annually. Or even one offs like Ohio State vs Oregon.

• Agree

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
The time zone deal is a non issue. The SEC conference has 11 teams in the Central Zone.

With linear TV it was important to go with a set schedule like: 11/2:30/7pm. But with streaming there is greater flexibility to start. Look at the Cyclones schedule this fall, the games against SEMO & Ohio on ESPN+ have 1pm CT starts.

So a USC at LSU game could kick at 3pm CT/1pm PT or even a FL at OR game kicks off at 8p ET/5pm PT.

At most a team is going to jump a couple time zones maybe once a month. I don't recall it being an issue all these years when ND plays USC or Stanford annually. Or even one offs like Ohio State vs Oregon.
Right I have actually seen some media people talk about it being a benefit for these conferences to pick up teams in new Time Zones. By expanding their time zones allows for more interest in more time slots. While it may seam like an issue for scheduling it really is not, they just have to work with timing the teams games for the proper time zone.

I dont understand the people that say it is such a huge deal jumping time zones.

Hell we have UCF and BYU now, teams multiple time zones apart. And BYU and ND have been playing teams all over the Country for years.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006

At most a team is going to jump a couple time zones maybe once a month.
I don't recall it being an issue all these years when ND plays USC or Stanford annually. Or even one offs like Ohio State vs Oregon.
There are no plans by either the SEC/SECN/ESPN or B10/BTN/Fox in the next round of TV deals to move the vast majority of their content from a linear model.

Once a month for BB and VB? You had better re-think that one over. Expansion just doesn't impact football.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021

I’ve got to ask why do you think there is more flexibility with streaming then linear tv?

Independence won’t work for the pac teams for a number of issues but mainly the sports outside of football. Also travel for all those sports from Oregon/LA is going to be a huge problem.

Last thing to think about is affiliation, Washington and USC don’t want to be affiliated with the SEC. (Not sure about Oregon)

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
I’ve got to ask why do you think there is more flexibility with streaming then linear tv?

Independence won’t work for the pac teams for a number of issues but mainly the sports outside of football. Also travel for all those sports from Oregon/LA is going to be a huge problem.

Last thing to think about is affiliation, Washington and USC don’t want to be affiliated with the SEC. (Not sure about Oregon)

Linear TV offers you one game per channel at a time. You have three windows that each can carry one game.

Streaming offers you unlimited games whenever you want. There is no rate limit. If you think a game has little appeal to people other than the two fanbases involved, you can double-book it with another similar game. If you think Iowa State and WVU fans watch games the most when they're at 1:00 PM, you can put ISU-Ohio and WVU-Western Kentucky both at 1:00 PM.

You can also stagger games March Madness style if you think that would keep the most eyeballs on your service. A streaming service could do kickoffs at 11:00, 1:00, 3:00, 5:00, and 7:00 for five games for example. A linear TV channel could not do that without using two separate channels.

Lots more creativity available for streaming services to maximize eyeballs in new ways.

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
To answer the OP's hypothetical:
I would want CU, We already are going to have a team in Utah, add a team in Colorado. One, for diversification of markets; two, they were a Big 8/12 member at one point.

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
the ironic part about the Pac is that they aren't nearly as secure as they think they are.....everyone laughs at the Big 12 because we're losing the two biggest brands, but if USC and Oregon decided they were leaving tomorrow, the Pac 12 would be in the same exact situation

• Agree

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
To answer the OP's hypothetical:
I would want CU, We already are going to have a team in Utah, add a team in Colorado. One, for diversification of markets; two, they were a Big 8/12 member at one point.

I would agree with this. If the Pac-12 falls apart I think Colorado and Utah would be high priority targets for the Big12. Although, If the Pac-12 falls I have a feeling the Big 10 will get first pick of any teams leaving.

• Agree

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Right I have actually seen some media people talk about it being a benefit for these conferences to pick up teams in new Time Zones. By expanding their time zones allows for more interest in more time slots. While it may seam like an issue for scheduling it really is not, they just have to work with timing the teams games for the proper time zone.

I dont understand the people that say it is such a huge deal jumping time zones.

Hell we have UCF and BYU now, teams multiple time zones apart. And BYU and ND have been playing teams all over the Country for years.
You are looking at this through a football only prism. BYU and ND both had their other sports affiliated with the WCC and ACC respectively.

And the fact that UCF and BYU are both part of the projected B12 makes the suckdom quotient of the conference that much higher.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan