If ISU Has to cut sports, which sports are on the block?

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
Basically the title, but if football season isn’t played a lot of schools are going to have to cut down on their athletic programs. With Iowa State only being two above the minimum for D1, which sports are first on the chopping block?

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I'm not sure that would even be an option. I suppose you could get rid of 1 men's and 1 women's sport but you are left with no margin for error. Not sure if they could balance the scholarships.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
Everything could be on the chopping block except men’s/women’s basketball and football.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I'm guessing they would look at expenses vs income generated vs #schollys. All I know is, I would not want to be Jamie right now. Whatever he does, SOMEONE will be pissed.

Reactions: Pizzapitter

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I would be surprised if volleyball or wrestling was cut as they both generate some revenue

I get our history, but does the fact that wrestling is dying everywhere outside the Big10 matter? Are we going to lose conference members again because of these cuts?

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
I get our history, but does the fact that wrestling is dying everywhere outside the Big10 matter? Are we going to lose conference members again because of these cuts?

If ISU has to cut sports, we know it won't be the only school in the country doing so. Wrestling will be considered for the chopping block at all schools not in the Big 10.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
most to least likely

1. womens tennis
  2. womens swimming and diving
  3. womens golf
  4. womens gymnastics
  5. womens soccer
  6. mens golf
  7. womens softball
  8. womens track
  9. womens cross country
  10. mens track
  11. mens cross country
  12. volleyball
  13. wrestling
  14. womens basketball
  15. mens basketball
  16. football

Reactions: Scott34

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
Someone can correct me if this isn't accurare, but I believe you have to field at least 6 men's sports and 7 or 8 women's to stay a Division I program (there are some other minimum requirements as well, including if you have a men's and women's program like cross country it only counts in the men's total). We currently only have 6 men's sports programs so I'm not even sure we could cut any programs.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
track and field should

ISU mens XC is one of only 3 mens sports at ISU to have won a national championship and Mens Gymnastics is no longer at ISU.

Just last year ISU mens XC was 4th at Nationals.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
ISU mens XC is one of only 3 mens sports at ISU to have won a national championship and Mens Gymnastics is no longer at ISU.

Just last year ISU mens XC was 4th at Nationals.
does it make money? if not then it should be a sport to cut pending Title IX

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
does it make money? if not then it should be a sport to cut pending Title IX

by that logic ISU will only have like 3 sports then (FB, MBB, WBB)

also, right or wrong, i have a hard time believing jamie is going to cut a sport he was an All American in and his son is a member of the ISU program.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Probably depends on what the NCAA decides to do with the requirement for providing a minimum number of men's and women's sports. I think ISU is pretty close to the limit right now...
https://www.usnews.com/news/sports/...nies-request-to-drop-division-i-sport-minimum
They cancelled the MBB & WBB tournaments (rightly so) and killed a HUGE amount of revenue to the conferences & schools. Football is possibly a wash. IMO, the NCAA is going to have to accept the financial realities facing the schools and grant a temporary reprieve on # of sports, or face a mutiny.