If I had control of the Big XII( 16 Team League)

Boomer

Jun 7, 2010
Equal Revenue Sharing

247 Conference Network

Expansion to 16 team

Permanent Cross Conference Rivals

Big 16 West

OU
Texas
Texas Tech
Kansas State
SDSU
Fresno State
AirForce
Colorado State

Big 16 East

Texas A&M
Oklahoma State
Mizzou
Iowa State
Baylor
Kansas
Louisville
Memphis

Balance of Power is split up fairly well between East & West.

Adds HUGE markets, all schools still have games in Texas for recruiting & California is open up, travel is decent for the eastern schools ( Iowa State would only have to travel out to California once every four years)

We could make the other sports on POD system to limit travel

Flame Away

D UP Clones

Oct 25, 2006
Current league needs to lose the 9th game

I think it is a mistake to play 9 league games. The big ten benefited from avoiding certain teams and it made it look like teams like Iowa were better than they were. It doesn't give a true champion of course and that's why the big ten had a tie more often than anything else.

I still like a 12 team league and think the conference is making a mistake if they don't attempt to get back to 12 teams and divisional play. The Big 12 needs a conference championship game.

I don't think adding teams like memphis benefits the Big 12. Plus, teams like Fresno would never meet the academic requirements. Right now, they live off partial qualifiers. That wouldn't happen in the big twelve.

BYU is the obvious team to me. I think you also might be able to convince an Arizona or ASU to move to the big 12. Then you keep the north/south split and add two states to the roster. That scenario benefits OU and Texas too because even if they lose the rivalry game, they won't lose again in the championship game.

Gives them a shot at a BCS game with one loss.

Reactions: Creed

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I like it. I also like the inclusion of CSU. I love Fort Collins and would take a trip up there to see an ISU/CSU game, and it would **** off the Buffaloes. This is a great scheme, but this kind of stuff will have to wait until first tier is renegotiated.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I want to see how this nine game schedule works out before adding any more teams unless your talking of adding lets say....

Notre Dame and BYU

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
add BYU and Colorado State. That is almost the same has having NU and CU back in the league. We get the state of Colorado back, we add one state in Utah and we get a team with a national following (BYU).

CydeKick

Jul 13, 2011
I like CSU. I just don't see why BYU would want to join a conference. It seems they're pretty content being independent.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Equal Revenue Sharing

247 Conference Network

Expansion to 16 team

Permanent Cross Conference Rivals

Big 16 West

OU
Texas
Texas Tech
Kansas State
SDSU
Fresno State
AirForce
Colorado State

Big 16 East

Texas A&M
Oklahoma State
Mizzou
Iowa State
Baylor
Kansas
Louisville
Memphis

Balance of Power is split up fairly well between East & West.

Adds HUGE markets, all schools still have games in Texas for recruiting & California is open up, travel is decent for the eastern schools ( Iowa State would only have to travel out to California once every four years)

We could make the other sports on POD system to limit travel

Flame Away

You must not be a math major because there is absolutely no way adding schools like the AFA, CSU and Fresno would bring sufficient value to programs like OU, Texas and A&M.

Boomer

Jun 7, 2010
You must not be a math major because there is absolutely no way adding schools like the AFA, CSU and Fresno would bring sufficient value to programs like OU, Texas and A&M.

You most not be aware of market sizes

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
You most not be aware of market sizes

I am fully aware that Larry Scott did not want any part of Fresno, AFA and Colorado State and just because a school might be in a populous area doesn't mean their are a lot of interested eyeballs who would watch them (e.g. Houston and TCU).

Boomer

Jun 7, 2010
I am fully aware that Larry Scott did not want any part of Fresno, AFA and Colorado State and just because a school might be in a populous area doesn't mean their are a lot of interested eyeballs who would watch them (e.g. Houston and TCU).

Larry Scott didn't want Fresno & SDSU because he already has California schools. It would be like us picking up Houston. makes no sense. Same for Colorado

Reactions: nickcyv

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Do not like...

1) 16 teams is too many. I just don't understand why people are so fascinated with 16-team conferences.

2) Don't like the two-hour time difference. This will be hell on the athletes and is one of the reasons given as to why the Pac-16 idea was opposed by some Big 12 teams.

3) Are you really adding California market share by adding Fresno State and SDSU? Does anybody in CA really care about those teams?

4) As someone else mentioned, there would have to be a significant relaxation of academic standards for some of those teams to be admitted to the Big 12.

Get Louisville and ND, and call it good... :jimlad:

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Larry Scott didn't want Fresno & SDSU because he already has California schools. It would be like us picking up Houston. makes no sense. Same for Colorado

Any new team would have to add $20M each to the table. There is no flippin way that Fresno, AFA and Colorado State each command that much money from the networks. If they did, then the WAC and MWC would be getting a helluva lot more for their deals and there is a reason they don't. Again, work on your math skills.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
My list of teams to add, from most desired to least desired:

Notre Dame
Arkansas
BYU
Louisville
Cincinnati
UNLV