I would love to sit down with Mangino....

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
So is my prediction of 4 wins this year being too negative, or is it simply being "realistic"?

Because I know for a fact that Chris Williams in the spring predicted us to win 3 games this year, but has since upgraded that to 4 I believe? Maybe he has since even upped that number again, I'm not positive? My point is, would you consider Chris Williams to be "negative" too then, or not?

I believe that Chris has us possibly winning 5 games this year. And considers us to have an outside shot at a bowl. IMO, 4 wins is a realistic prediction but somewhat on the negative side. Chris went through his predictions of winnable games so check it out.

As far as the reasons for our step backward last year. Mostly injuries. Some coaching issues. And also some recruiting misses and attrition. We have taken much bigger steps backward........2003 season for example. Winless conference record. You can harp all you want about the UNI loss. But being winless in the conference is much worse IMO. And exactly WHEN do you quit commenting about the UNI loss? Does that talk stop when we beat NDSU?

And most of us are really looking forward to the 2015 season when we should have a very veteran team with even more talent and experience. And also a newly expanded stadium.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Maybe clonedude will realize realism extends past just predicting potential wins.

What?

I'm just saying that I'm predicting about the same number of wins this year as everyone else, including Chris Williams. And by the way, when Chris says "winnable" games, that is not his prediction for games we will win.

I think every game besides maybe OU and Baylor are "winnable", but that doesn't mean I think we're going 10-2.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
What?

I'm just saying that I'm predicting about the same number of wins this year as everyone else, including Chris Williams. And by the way, when Chris says "winnable" games, that is not his prediction for games we will win.

I think every game besides maybe OU and Baylor are "winnable", but that doesn't mean I think we're going 10-2.

I could be wrong but I thought in a Podcast or a Video that Chris had bumped his prediction to 5 wins. He had us beating NDSU and Toledo.......and then winning 3 of our last 4 games. As I said, 4 is not way off, but a bit on the pessimistic side. Which games do you see us winning of the 4 games you predict we will win?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I could be wrong but I thought in a Podcast or a Video that Chris had bumped his prediction to 5 wins. He had us beating NDSU and Toledo.......and then winning 3 of our last 4 games. As I said, 4 is not way off, but a bit on the pessimistic side. Which games do you see us winning of the 4 games you predict we will win?

NDSU, Toledo, KU, and WV.

I think we have a decent shot at beating TCU, TT, and KSU too, but I probably wouldn't predict it at this point.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Basically, what I've learned from this thread is that the three trends which dominate football season have started:
1. Do not criticize the staff, even after an embarrassing loss.
2. "If you haven't played and coached, you can't talk football."
3. Jumping all over clonedude posts, no what they actually say or don't say.

Should be a nice ride now that people have their rhythm already.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Basically, what I've learned from this thread is that the three trends which dominate football season have started:

criticize CPR all you want. I would still rather have CPR than all of the coaches that we have had since Earle Brucd.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky

Or nah.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
I think people will be in for a rude awakening if they think this offense will be as good as they think. If you look at teams that get new OC's who run a different system, the first season isnt as good as some thought it would be, but the second season is usually where the lightbulbs come on.

-Signed, Gus Malzahn

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

I'm also getting ready to yell at the refs in a couple of weeks. I'm good to go.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

Best post of the year! You nailed it. Good job.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Best post of the year! You nailed it. Good job.

You have every right to criticize the current staff and CPR. But you have to concede that CPR is the best coach we have had since Earle Bruce. Hopefully a lot of the issues from last year are resolved. And at some point you just have to move on from the UNI loss. It is over and done with. Why dwell on it?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
You have every right to criticize the current staff and CPR. But you have to concede that CPR is the best coach we have had since Earle Bruce. Hopefully a lot of the issues from last year are resolved. And at some point you just have to move on from the UNI loss. It is over and done with. Why dwell on it?

Except that he wasn't dwelling on it. You and CyDude were doing your obsession thing of jumping all over his comments and calling the guy negative, and he mentioned that he's not going to be all rosy after a loss to UNI.

That was the sum total of his UNI posting in this thread. You're really pushing to create drama there.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest

Or else the ISU police come to your house and beat you.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Except that he wasn't dwelling on it. You and CyDude were doing your obsession thing of jumping all over his comments and calling the guy negative, and he mentioned that he's not going to be all rosy after a loss to UNI.

That was the sum total of his UNI posting in this thread. You're really pushing to create drama there.

Good grief. Most posts he complains incessantly about our loss to UNI last year and keeps saying how it is inexcusable. Thread after thread after thread. The DMAC lovers are still butt hurt over his "resignation" and can't accept his departure. Time to move on. Times are better now and our facilities are improving. The Negative Nancy's are not helping our program. Time for them to either be All In or All Out.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

I don't have to concede that. It could be true though. DMac was pretty good too for several years there. He beat Iowa 5 years in a row I believe and got us to several bowl games as well when it wasn't as easy to get into a bowl game too I might add.

But the verdict is still out on Rhoads. If his 3 win season leads to several more 3 and 4 win seasons, then I'm not so sure he was better than DMac or not?

I do think Rhoads has gotten better talent to come to Ames than DMac did though. We shall see if that leads to wins or not?

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I don't have to concede that. It could be true though. DMac was pretty good too for several years there. He beat Iowa 5 years in a row I believe and got us to several bowl games as well when it wasn't as easy to get into a bowl game too I might add.

But the verdict is still out on Rhoads. If his 3 win season leads to several more 3 and 4 win seasons, then I'm not so sure he was better than DMac or not?

I do think Rhoads has gotten better talent to come to Ames than DMac did though. We shall see if that leads to wins or not?

Not sure if serious. The 2003 season was the worst in recent memory. that season was terrible. Winless in conference and totally inept. and it was in DMAC's 9th season. And three years later only win 4 games. How can you give him a pass? How can you honestly say that you are not sure that CPR is not better than DMac after the epic wins we have had over Okie State, Nebraska, Texas, etc. It is not even freaking close.

Last edited:
Reactions: swarthmoreCY

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Not sure if serious. The 2003 season was the worst in recent memory. that season was terrible. Winless in conference and totally inept. and it was in DMAC's 9th season. And three years later only win 4 games. How can you give him a pass? How can you honestly say that you are not sure that CPR is not better than DMac after the epic wins we have had over Okie State, Nebraska, Texas, etc. It is not even freaking close.

Dmac took ISU to 5 bowl games. He won 2 of them.

I never said that he was great, or even better than CPR, but he did some good things and gave us some success like we hadn't seen.

As I said, the verdict is still out on CPR. What if CPR has a couple more 3 win seasons?