I would consider this season a success if....

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I agree that it is already a success, but Ill be disappointed at this point if ISU does not at least make the trip to New York.

Anything above a Sweet 16 will be icing on the cake for me.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
This season is allready a success. Everything from here on out is cake for me. i do think we can make a deep run.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Wont be a failure of a season if we lose to NC-Central, but it would be a massive disappointment. Many great things have already been done this season.

TheAntiHawk

Mar 29, 2013
I just want their last game to end with them playing well. I don't want the season to end with them coming out flat. As much as the loss to MSU in 2000 hurt, they went down in a battle playing the way they were capable of playing.

Also - given the way the last 3 years have gone, I'm thinking Fred will have them prepared..

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
The season has already been a success. So many really great things...undefeated non-conference season, ranked nearly the entire season, beat a ton of ranked teams, won the tournament, etc.

I don't want the season to end because I am not ready to stop watching this team. But no matter what goes down, it will be a really great season. But lets keep it going!

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Wont be a failure of a season if we lose to NC-Central, but it would be a massive disappointment. Many great things have already been done this season.

Basically that's how I feel. However I would be shocked if Kane and Ejim went out to nc central.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I want it all

Yep. This season has been a success already but they have the ceiling of a national championship. Less than that isn't complete success but that doesn't mean, to me, it's a disappointment. I hope that makes sense.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
If we lose to NC Central I would be hard pressed to really call this a success.

If we win that one but drop the next to UNC/Providence, I would definitely be bummed but I think I would be able to look back at what we did and especially the Big 12 tournament title and say that it was a success in that light.

If we win two and make the second weekend (Sweet 16) then the year is undeniably a success.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I think with the high seeding, and the current bracket sweet 16/elite 8 is a realistic expectation.

They have to play well all game though, no more first half shooting/layup breakdowns.

NC Central should be a win. They don't pose any significant matchup problems for us, and Fred has shown he doesn't lose to teams where he has the matchup advantage. Expect Niang, Ejim, and Kane to feast inside. This isn't a lengthy athletic B12 defense we're playing against...

Providence/UNC: Don't know much about providence, other than they beat Creighton. Again I can't imagine they have great personnel matchups to beat us. UNC is a different story, need to keep McAdoo/Johnson off the glass and need Morris to shut down Paige. UNC goes as he goes, and if he can get shutdown I don't think UNC has the offense to keep up with us.

At that point we're likely playing UConn/St. Joes/Nova. I think we can own UConn, their offense is also run through basically one guy, and they go as Napier goes. I admitedly don't know much about the style/personnel of St. Joes/Nova so I can't make accurate assumptions about a possible matchup against them.

After that no matter what we're playing a quality team, so it's likely going to come down to the wire and who makes clutch plays.

Just my quick analysis.
Here are the odds:

Florida tabbed by Vegas as the national title favorite - CBSSports.com

Here is the top 21:

• Florida - 4:1
  • Michigan State - 9:2
  • Arizona - 6:1
  • Kansas - 8:1
  • Wichita State - 15:1
  • Virginia - 15:1
  • Duke - 15:1
  • Syracuse - 15:1
  • Louisville - 15:1
  • Wisconsin - 20:1
  • Michigan - 25:1
  • Villanova - 25:1
  • Creighton - 25:1
  • Iowa State - 35:1
  • UCLA - 35:1
  • Kentucky - 40:1
  • North Carolina - 50:1
  • Ohio State - 60:1
  • Oklahoma State - 60:1
  • San Diego State - 75:1
  • VCU - 75:1

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
This. If they lose on Friday, this past weekend will almost be meaningless.

Was 2001 meaningless? No. It was disappointing how it ended but not meaningless. I guess, to me, there's little difference in tournament success between the round of 64 and final 4. I don't care about sweet sixteens or elite 8s. Final four, championship or bust.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
One Shining Moment would be incredible, but this season is already a success.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
I saw a friend of a friend on facebook (who obvs had to be a hawk fan/clone hater) say that ISU isn't THAT good and "lives and dies by the 3 and those teams don't make long tourney runs." He said we would make it to the Sweet Sixteen at best (as if making the final 16 isn't a great achievement especially for ANY program in our state.) Plus it would be right on par with our #16 ranking we've held for awhile.

I think the season is still a success even if we fell flat and lost in our first game against NC Cent. Winning a trophy in KC is big for the program and gives us something to build on. Hoiberg and Pollard are not going to be satisfied without more hardware. It's a great time to be a Cyclone fan and be apart of such a great fanbase and program. We're not "up and coming" anymore, but we still haven't completely arrived to where we want to be. ISU wants to contend for Final Fours appearances year in, year out. Stay Hungry, my friends.

sadam

Jan 8, 2014
I was a young hok fan growing up in se Iowa the last time ISU won big 12 so this season was a first for me. Regardless what happens in tournament I am very proud of this team and it has been a privilege to cheer them on and be their fan. Winning that damned big 12 tournament meant a lot to me. We beat three really good teams in three days (two games were essentially neutral court), hoiberg has these guys dialed in and focused.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
What are your expectations?

For me, a sweet 16 appearance would tie a nice ribbon on this season (even though a championship would be cool) and I would be comfortable with that. Not saying we shouldn't strive for the whole enchilada, but....

Sweet 16. That was my expectation coming into the season. I will be really bummed however, if we don't make the Final Four. I think we are that good.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Anything more than a win on Friday is a success for me. Would really love to see them playing in NY though.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron