I wonder what Fred said to the ref to get that reaction?

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
On a serious note, I think everyone knew that the game was going to be very physical. When WV didn't get called for a couple of obvious fouls right in front of our bench near the beginning of the game, Hoiberg went off blazing as vehemently before Huggins even got a chance to start working the refs himself. Hoiberg gets lots of credit for keeping his call, but he hit about FRAN-CON 5. In other words, he out-Huggins-ed Huggins.

Yup, even more effective than Huggins because he so rarely loses his cool. If he is reacting like that, the refs must have screwed up royally.

J-Diggy

Nov 30, 2007
On the replay he clear said "That's bulls**t. That's the same call as down there." Considering he was 5-10 feet out on the court, and this crew proved to be T happy, kinda surprising he didn't get rung up.

The strong reaction probably caught the ref by surprise since it is out of character for Coach Fred to be so demonstrative.

Spam

May 21, 2008
I don't know if a fiery Fred has much influence on the refs but a fiery Fred does seem to get our players fired up

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Hightower would never let things get this bad.

Hightower would have given The Mayor the most over the top technical call in the history of the game. There has never been another and never will be another ref that wants to make himself a part of the game like Ed Hightower. He was a showman...

WhatMeWorry

Feb 4, 2010
Urbandale
Wasn't that when Kane got called for a charge on that 360 move with the dribble? I thought it was a good call, even thought WV guy was moving backward, he still is entitled to the space and he didn't move sideways.

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
I think that was early in the game when Dibo was backing Niang down and using his forearm to push off on Niang's chest...and then Niang got called for the foul...and right in front of Fred.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
On a serious note, I think everyone knew that the game was going to be very physical. When WV didn't get called for a couple of obvious fouls right in front of our bench near the beginning of the game, Hoiberg went off blazing as vehemently before Huggins even got a chance to start working the refs himself. Hoiberg gets lots of credit for keeping his call, but he hit about FRAN-CON 5. In other words, he out-Huggins-ed Huggins.

That was about as ticked off as I've seen Fred get. I was pleasantly surprised.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
I think that was early in the game when Dibo was backing Niang down and using his forearm to push off on Niang's chest...and then Niang got called for the foul...and right in front of Fred.

Yup - as animated as I've seen Hoiberg. The discussion continued into the timeout, as well, and must have paid some dividends, because Niang definitely got away with more contact after that.

Both ways, officiating in that game was inconsistent and awful.

InAWord

Nov 16, 2010

This is exactly when it happened.