I wish that Pollard...

GBC

Apr 10, 2006
would not have held a press conference with both GMAC and him together. Pollard has pigeon holed himself, he should have held a press conference or just released a statement by himself. Standing by GMAC put him a tough position because I don't think he can fire him now.

If i were the AD and you would have told me that either Chris Colvin or Justin Hamilton would transfer after this season, I would have fired GMAC. I would worry about getting the money right after I fired him. These are the only to real good pieces to the puzzle that we currently have.

That being said if i were Hamilton or Colvin i would transfer since they both have a redshirt available. I predict that Hamilton will end up in a situation like W. Johnson. I think he will play for either UCLA, California, Arizona St., Arizona, or Gonzaga. That is my prediction. Colvin should transfer to a school where he will get a coach that will help him thrive and succeed. Plenty of schools will want him on there roster.

Lastly, I am pleading for GMAC to take a buyout and save face. If he coaches one more season at ISU it could ruin his coaching career. Don't get me wrong, his reputation has taken a hit, but does he want to hit rock bottom. Does he want to be known as the one of the worst coaches in ISU mens basketball history? I would hope not!!!

I never dreamed that this would go this badly for him.

Spam

May 21, 2008
GM will make a real man out of every boy in an empty locker room. And that's why he is our coach.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
I think JP already has enough ammo to reverse his decision. 4 players are gone now since that announcement. If Colvin and Dendy leave, I think he will have no choice but to jettison Greg.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
That being said if i were Hamilton or Colvin i would transfer since they both have a redshirt available. I predict that Hamilton will end up in a situation like W. Johnson. I think he will play for either UCLA, California, Arizona St., Arizona, or Gonzaga. That is my prediction. Colvin should transfer to a school where he will get a coach that will help him thrive and succeed.

What is alarming about Hamilton leaving is that he did all that Gmac asked of him, in a humble, team-first way. Ham had a great attitude, stayed here all summer and worked out (how many others did that on our team?). Players like Gilstrap, Colvin, and Dendy often had pained expressions on the court or ignored Gmac at timeouts - you never saw Hamilton show up his coach like that.
Something clearly stinks at the men's bb offices.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
would not have held a press conference with both GMAC and him together. Pollard has pigeon holed himself, he should have held a press conference or just released a statement by himself. Standing by GMAC put him a tough position because I don't think he can fire him now.

If i were the AD and you would have told me that either Chris Colvin or Justin Hamilton would transfer after this season, I would have fired GMAC. I would worry about getting the money right after I fired him. These are the only to real good pieces to the puzzle that we currently have.

That being said if i were Hamilton or Colvin i would transfer since they both have a redshirt available. I predict that Hamilton will end up in a situation like W. Johnson. I think he will play for either UCLA, California, Arizona St., Arizona, or Gonzaga. That is my prediction. Colvin should transfer to a school where he will get a coach that will help him thrive and succeed. Plenty of schools will want him on there roster.

Lastly, I am pleading for GMAC to take a buyout and save face. If he coaches one more season at ISU it could ruin his coaching career. Don't get me wrong, his reputation has taken a hit, but does he want to hit rock bottom. Does he want to be known as the one of the worst coaches in ISU mens basketball history? I would hope not!!!

I never dreamed that this would go this badly for him.

Makes zero differnce, AD's do it all the time and eventually the guy gets fired. If Jamie could afford to fire him I think he would have. If he can afford to do it at the end of next year he will. I don't think there is much at work here other than Pollard doesn't have the cash to do it right now, but clearly he can't say that.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Makes zero differnce, AD's do it all the time and eventually the guy gets fired. If Jamie could afford to fire him I think he would have. If he can afford to do it at the end of next year he will. I don't think there is much at work here other than Pollard doesn't have the cash to do it right now, but clearly he can't say that.

Though I think it's safe to say the feelings about the program's future has changed dramatically from right after the K-State game to now.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
If Colvin and/or Dendy leave and JP DOESN'T fire Gmac, JP should lose his job, IMO.

There are two primary objectives that make up an AD job:

1- Financial. Raise money, improve facilities, etc
2- Winning (particularly FB and MBB). Coaching decisions are probably the most important factor in this objective. Also, this is the most important objective, because it will lead to good things financially.

So far, JP has shown that he is a one-dimensional AD. Had the Chizik thing not fell into his lap, both programs would be in shambles.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
If Colvin and/or Dendy leave and JP DOESN'T fire Gmac, JP should lose his job, IMO.

There are two primary objectives that make up an AD job:

1- Financial. Raise money, improve facilities, etc
2- Winning (particularly FB and MBB). Coaching decisions are probably the most important factor in this objective. Also, this is the most important objective, because it will lead to good things financially.

So far, JP has shown that he is a one-dimensional AD. Had the Chizik thing not fell into his lap, both programs would be in shambles.

Right, because we are losing in almost every sport. I know what you are saying bu one hire is not going to get Jamie fired. He has a lot of credit to waste. Yes, he is losing a lot of it, but hr has a lot left IMO.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Right, because we are losing in almost every sport. I know what you are saying bu one hire is not going to get Jamie fired. He has a lot of credit to waste. Yes, he is losing a lot of it, but hr has a lot left IMO.

We are doing fine at many other sports, but the fact remains that there are 2 primary sports that pay the bills. Those are the same two sports that people care about.

Luckily, for all of our sakes, we were able to swap PR for GC. I just wish that JP wouldn't have taken our BBall program to the basement.

We were one year removed from the tourney. Five years later, we're probably an additional 3 years away from the tourney and that would assume a great new coaching hire and some quick recruiting.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
What is alarming about Hamilton leaving is that he did all that Gmac asked of him, in a humble, team-first way. Ham had a great attitude, stayed here all summer and worked out (how many others did that on our team?). Players like Gilstrap, Colvin, and Dendy often had pained expressions on the court or ignored Gmac at timeouts - you never saw Hamilton show up his coach like that.
Something clearly stinks at the men's bb offices.

Maybe Ham wasn't getting enough love from the ladies at ISU. :jimlad:

URBCLONE

Mar 26, 2006
Urbandale
I was in favor of WM being let go. I was not in favor of GM being hired. Can't help but wonder what would have happened had JP shown the one more year attitude with WM that he has with GM, then GM likely would be at KSU. KSU would have never gotten off the mat and ISU would have retained players like Taggert, Stinnet, Westbrook, etc. Perhaps '06-'07 goes better and ISU makes either the NIT or the NCAA tournament and brings in another decent recruiting class.

Bottom line, the program probably doesn't bottom out in '06 and there is a decent chance to at least maintain it at a level where a good coach can restore it to NCAA tournament status quickly.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
As I have been saying for a while. I think these guys like GMAC a lot. No self-respecting BB player wants to play for a coach that does not have the ability to make them great players. And nobody wants to play for a coach that clearly does not give them the best possible chance to win every game. Pretty simple:yes:

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
I think JP already has enough ammo to reverse his decision. 4 players are gone now since that announcement. If Colvin and Dendy leave, I think he will have no choice but to jettison Greg.

Not that I'm happy with what's going on...

But I love how it's now "4 players are gone now" even though 2 of them are going pro.

There is so much crap going down right now but to pin Brackins going pro and Gilstrap getting screwed by the NCAA as something "bad" on Mac is a stretch.

We lost a solid Big 12 starter from our team. That in itself is enough to hold his feet to the fire.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
There is so much crap going down right now but to pin Brackins going pro and Gilstrap getting screwed by the NCAA as something "bad" on Mac is a stretch.QUOTE]

Gilstrap wasn't "screwed" by the NCAA. That's why he received limited interest from big-school coaches - they all knew he had just one year. The day MG stepped on campus, Gmac and everyone were planning on just one year. You can't turn around and assume they were expecting any more. They weren't.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
There is so much crap going down right now but to pin Brackins going pro and Gilstrap getting screwed by the NCAA as something "bad" on Mac is a stretch.QUOTE]

Gilstrap wasn't "screwed" by the NCAA. That's why he received limited interest from big-school coaches - they all knew he had just one year. The day MG stepped on campus, Gmac and everyone were planning on just one year. You can't turn around and assume they were expecting any more. They weren't.

Fine...but to lump him in when you rip on Mac is not acceptable. His situation and Ham are black and white.

I'm all for calling out the bad things but let's at least be rational with it.