I wish ALL games would be home games...

coolmooinlou

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 14, 2015
Louisville, Kentucky
My concern is in Stillwater. Not the Cowpokes - I have ultimate confidence in our squad - but the travel there, conditions once there, and travel back.
It would be a travesty, after a nearly unprecedented start in Big 12 play and a "sky's the limit attitude" for this amazing group of players to lose any piece of the season to COVID.
Or should I just prepare and expect the inevitable ISU kick in the...?
Oklahoma is currently experiencing red zone COVID risk level (for what that's worth)

If Nick Saban, the ultimate detail guy, contracted the virus and doesn't know how...

from SI
"Saban suggested during an interview with reporters that he could have contracted it while traveling to the Crimson Tide’s road trip, noting that he left the “bubble” that the program has created in Tuscaloosa."
"Florida athletic director Scott Stricklin deduced that it too came from traveling last weekend. The Gators played at Texas A&M."
"The Baylor athletic director and his staff are examining how the Bears ended up with an outbreak of 28 players and 14 staff members, with another 17 in quarantine through contact tracing. They believe the outbreak is rooted in a road trip to Morgantown for a game against West Virginia on Oct. 2."

Praying to all the football gods and any deity that will listen - keep our boys, staff, and coaches safe, please.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
So in other words, they have to be careful and take precautions when they go on the road, not just follow the rules at home. Got it.

• Agree
Reactions: madguy30

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Of course. Always. But there's far less control of your environment on the road - no controlled Bubble available like home.
I'm a Mom, hence a worrier.
Not the same bubble, but you can certainly create one, with proper effort and planning.

The problem is compliance and enforcement when on the road.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Not the same bubble, but you can certainly create one, with proper effort and planning.

The problem is compliance and enforcement when on the road.
Agreed! Dealing with on the road woes...airports, stops for food/gas if road tripping, hotel procedures and staff, opponent's level of compliance within their own bubble...
When teams come here, the only part out of our control is the actual physical contact between the teams on the field.

Reactions: coolmooinlou

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
If Nick Saban, the ultimate detail guy, contracted the virus and doesn't know how...

from SI
"Saban suggested during an interview with reporters that he could have contracted it while traveling to pick up the Crimson Tide's booster player payments.

Praying to all the football gods and any deity that will listen - keep our boys, staff, and coaches safe, please.
C'mon, we know how Saban got it . . . . .

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
The current positive test rate in Oklahoma is about 8% so it seems like you’d be a lot more likely to get infected by a random person in Iowa right now.

• Winner
Reactions: clonedude

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Seems like the teams with outbreaks are just looking for someone to blame.

For those that would know, correct me if I'm wrong on how the travel would look. I don't see a lot of extra interaction with the public that makes this much different than being home.

Wouldn't they bus straight from Ames to the tarmac in Des Moines? Then they get on a charter flight.
They'd bus to the hotel and I'm sure go straight to their rooms. Walk to conference rooms to eat, meet with coaches, etc.
Bus to and from the game, then get back on a charter flight.

Obviously there's bus drivers, hotel staff, some public staying in the hotel.
Unless guys are sneaking out at night, where is the big risk while on the road?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
The current positive test rate in Oklahoma is about 8% so it seems like you’d be a lot more likely to get infected by a random person in Iowa right now.

Bingo! I'd be more worried about teams refusing to come play us in the state of Iowa pretty soon. We're a total s**t show.

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
My concern is in Stillwater. Not the Cowpokes - I have ultimate confidence in our squad - but the travel there, conditions once there, and travel back.
It would be a travesty, after a nearly unprecedented start in Big 12 play and a "sky's the limit attitude" for this amazing group of players to lose any piece of the season to COVID.
Or should I just prepare and expect the inevitable ISU kick in the...?
Oklahoma is currently experiencing red zone COVID risk level (for what that's worth)

from SI
"Saban suggested during an interview with reporters that he could have contracted it while traveling to the Crimson Tide’s road trip, noting that he left the “bubble” that the program has created in Tuscaloosa."
"Florida athletic director Scott Stricklin deduced that it too came from traveling last weekend. The Gators played at Texas A&M."
"The Baylor athletic director and his staff are examining how the Bears ended up with an outbreak of 28 players and 14 staff members, with another 17 in quarantine through contact tracing. They believe the outbreak is rooted in a road trip to Morgantown for a game against West Virginia on Oct. 2."

I thought the Baylor AD said one of their players had a false negative test and travelled with the team. Then tried to blame the small size of WV's visiting teams locker room for the spread.

83cy

May 14, 2006
If you only have home games you won't have any games! One team has to travel!

jimlad.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
If travel was a huge risk, wouldn’t the visiting team pick up the virus traveling, then in turn give it to the home team during the game?

I guess what I’m trying to say is the biggest risk is the opposing team, not the travel.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I'm sure the team has special a plan in place for travel. This team has proven to be good at following the plan when they are in Ames, so I would expect no issues on the road either. More temptations for the players in Ames than on the road in my opinion.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I'm sure the team has special a plan in place for travel. This team has proven to be good at following the plan when they are in Ames, so I would expect no issues on the road either. More temptations for the players in Ames than on the road in my opinion.
We've already been on the road.. We went to TCU.

Reactions: t-noah