I will be looking to purchase a different vehicle

ruflosn

Dec 21, 2008
in the next few months. What do you think the current happenings will do to the automobile industry? The big 3 are shutting down for a few weeks. I am usually not for buying new; however, if there are great deals to be had in a few months, I would consider it.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
in the past few years late model used cars and new cars have been very similar in price - to the point where i bought my first brand new car ever - because it came with the full 3 years warranty.

depending on your budget this might be an option for you. i would assume there will be good deals to be had right now because fewer people are looking.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
It really depends on what kind of vehicle you're looking for. I bought a new Tacoma about 4 years ago. I wasn't really interested in a new one but I did want leather seats so when my kids spilled crap in them it would be a lot easier to clean. Normally I buy something used with 30k-40k miles on them but with Tacomas you have two choices, buy one with low miles for basically the same price as new or one with over 150k miles on it for half the price of a new one. I didn't want one with that many miles on it and when you factor in the higher interest rate on a used car loan vs a new car loan my payment was cheaper for a new one vs a used one for the same length of time.

JimmyChitwood

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 3, 2015
Southern Iowa
I buy a new car every 3 to 4 years. When I do, it's in December. I get the current year's model. The dealership's seem to "slash" prices trying to get rid of that year's model so they can start moving the new model's.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I buy a new car every 3 to 4 years. When I do, it's in December. I get the current year's model. The dealership's seem to "slash" prices trying to get rid of that year's model so they can start moving the new model's.
They want to get them off the books by the end of the year

• Agree
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

ruflosn

Dec 21, 2008
Anyone taking advantage of the interest rates and other incentives they are throwing out? I am going to wait until fall to start looking around.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Anyone in sales is probably hurting right now because they are commission based so there are probably deals to be found right now. I feel for those people as one of my friends is in sales for a rec/power sports business and he is 1 of 3 sales persons on staff. They are by appointment only right now and only 1 of them can be in on a given day so he says they have to be creative right now in order to make a sale.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
So I shouldn't have financed my car for 120 months?
Ramsey zealots... ASSEMBLE!

FixedSereneHornedtoad-size_restricted.gif

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Ramsey zealots... ASSEMBLE!

FixedSereneHornedtoad-size_restricted.gif

Dave can suck a fat one. I went from a Range to a Tacoma and my wife went from a Porsche to a Volvo. WHAT ELSE DO YOU WANT FROM ME.

disclaimer: these moves were voluntary. I wanted a truck and my wife just likes the XC90 better than her old car. I’m not really a car person I grew up with Jeeps and would prefer to have an unlimited or gladiator if they weren’t pieces of **** cars.

• Optimistic
Reactions: 0u812 and WhoISthis

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Car prices are going to get way lower. The OEM plant I worked at was working overtime since January and they have cars everywhere, including dealer lots. Those cars just aren't selling.

If you want a new or low mileage used car and you can wait, you should. I am waiting to buy a new Acura. Right now, I could get the model and trim level I want with 6000 miles for about $12,000 under MSRP and I am not even close to buying. Before Christmas the same car was about $3,000-4,000 under MSRP.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ng-car-price-collapse-grips-the-auto-industry

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Looking for a new vehicle. Looking for a SUV type. Test drove a 2013 Ford Edge and a 2012 Chevy Traverse today. Felt more comfortable in the Traverse. Anyone had a Traverse? Would you recommend?

ruflosn

Dec 21, 2008
Looking for a new vehicle. Looking for a SUV type. Test drove a 2013 Ford Edge and a 2012 Chevy Traverse today. Felt more comfortable in the Traverse. Anyone had a Traverse? Would you recommend?
Our 2011 Traverse is roomy and hasn't had any major issues. Knock on wood. The mpg is anywhere from 18 to 20 so nothing special.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA

The Traverse Redline is a pretty sweet looking vehicle, if you ask me. I wanted to get one for my wife, but she wanted an Explorer Sport instead.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Just want to throw this out there for you. There have been major advances in safety and safety tech in the time between those vehicles cane out and todays vehicles. With interest rates so low buying used vs buying new might not be a major thing in terms of monthly payments.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron