I really hope coach PR will make some changes.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Everyone in the league plays each other. ISU is now dead last in the conference in offense, dead last! ISU only scores 4 more points/game than Kansas. We are 9 points per game away from #8 in the conference. Teams look to improve their defensive #'s when they play ISU. Baylor improved by playing ISU! Everyone else seems to be moving the ball in conference outside of ISU and Kansas. This should tell you something.

Please, oh wise one, tell us more. Our loins yearn for your knowledge.

Seriously, I don't know what your getting at here. Our offense sucks? I think we got that figured out in the first 178 posts.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Please, oh wise one, tell us more. Our loins yearn for your knowledge.

Seriously, I don't know what your getting at here. Our offense sucks? I think we got that figured out in the first 178 posts.

What I am getting at sarcastic sitting in my mom's basement boy is that there are folks in this thread just dismiss the dismal offensive performance to the competition we have been playing lately. Guess what, when everyone else played the same teams they did much better! Some on here do not get that ISU is WAY behind the curve when it comes to offense. The defense is not much better. I do not want to hear the time of possession excuse either. Texas had over 300 yards in the first half against ISU with a nearly identical time of possession. Both total offense and total defense rank in the 90's. ISU is the only school that can claim that and has 5 wins somehow.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
What I am getting at sarcastic sitting in my mom's basement boy is that there are folks in this thread just dismiss the dismal offensive performance to the competition we have been playing lately. Guess what, when everyone else played the same teams they did much better! Some on here do not get that ISU is WAY behind the curve when it comes to offense. The defense is not much better. I do not want to hear the time of possession excuse either. Texas had over 300 yards in the first half against ISU with a nearly identical time of possession. Both total offense and total defense rank in the 90's. ISU is the only school that can claim that and has 5 wins somehow.

Moms basement...that's funny.

It took a lot of words to say what I think everyone has said since the Iowa game. The offense sucks and the defense isn't all that great. The whole thread is based on changing the staff. Typically people who think there should be a staff change aren't happy with the direction of things, especially offensively. I guess I would say we are way behind the curve this year but I don't feel like every time I watch a game the talent disparity is such that we don't have a chance.

BringBackJohnny

Feb 11, 2009
Ames
Not to be rude to Mess and CPR but I think Mess needs to come into each week with a better game plan. I think Herman might have been better at this than Mess and I believe is partly the reason why Walley can have as good of a defense as he has dispite having less tallent. It comes down to exicution of a game plan I just don't see ISU going out there with a game plan designed to win us the game on offense. Right now it seems like Mess is just sitting at a slot machine plugging in quarters hoping he gets lucky. And Mess isn't a lucky guy buy nature.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Not to be rude to Mess and CPR but I think Mess needs to come into each week with a better game plan. I think Herman might have been better at this than Mess and I believe is partly the reason why Walley can have as good of a defense as he has dispite having less tallent. It comes down to exicution of a game plan I just don't see ISU going out there with a game plan designed to win us the game on offense. Right now it seems like Mess is just sitting at a slot machine plugging in quarters hoping he gets lucky. And Mess isn't a lucky guy buy nature.

That's what I feel like. There is no rhyme or reason to anything. Run for 12 on first down, pass. Run the ball until they make you do something else! Or........and this is really out of the box stuff.......when they start cheating to stop it, run something off of it. There is next to zero constraint in our offense. Part of that has to do with us not being particularly good at one thing and part of it is when we are, we don't just keep going to it. When you run the ball well teams start bringing safeties up. when teams start bringing safeties up one of two things happens:

1. There is man under coverage which is completely messed up because the safety got cute and approached or
2. There is man coverage with a safety not where they are supposed to be.

Same thing on the read option. There are a couple different ways to defend it.

1. Scrape. This puts a LBer as the contain guy rather than the DE. In the early days of defending this play, that confused QBs into keeping only to meet a LBer. That typically doesn't work anymore because they have vacated a space that has to be defended by either the MLB sliding over therefor becoming less useful playside or the safety has to fill down which........obviously

2. The other way is essentially doing the same thing with a safety. We don't mess with the safeties. I will go to my grave saying that in a spread offense you must be able to manipulate safeties if you want to be balanced. If you cannot make LBers or safeties pay for overdefending the run, you are not going to be very effective.

Like I said, we don't run anything off anything. It also doesn't help that teams haven't had to cheat with safeties or sliding LBers to stop us because they know that eventually we will quit doing what works. I swear to good if I see another 12 yard run followed by some pass play that shows no action like the previous play I am going to go nuts. You will be able to hear me on the first possession of the KU game because I guarentee we will do it. Run successfully, drop back and throw. It's what we do and it sucks. At least, for the love of all things holy, run some jet action to hold the middle and back side. Prime example-Jarvis West runs jet action against OU and scores on a long run. How many times did we dial that up the next drive? I don't remember any. Know why it worked? Because we hadn't done it before and normally we would just hand the ball off to the RB. I'm guessing that if you jet West on the next series the backside is keeping their *** put. This stuff just drives me crazy because it's simple.

FootballinTexas

Aug 2, 2009
That's what I feel like. There is no rhyme or reason to anything. Run for 12 on first down, pass. Run the ball until they make you do something else! Or........and this is really out of the box stuff.......when they start cheating to stop it, run something off of it. There is next to zero constraint in our offense. Part of that has to do with us not being particularly good at one thing and part of it is when we are, we don't just keep going to it. When you run the ball well teams start bringing safeties up. when teams start bringing safeties up one of two things happens:

1. There is man under coverage which is completely messed up because the safety got cute and approached or

1. Scrape. This puts a LBer as the contain guy rather than the DE. In the early days of defending this play, that confused QBs into keeping only to meet a LBer. That typically doesn't work anymore because they have vacated a space that has to be defended by either the MLB sliding over therefor becoming less useful playside or the safety has to fill down which........obviously

2. The other way is essentially doing the same thing with a safety. We don't mess with the safeties. I will go to my grave saying that in a spread offense you must be able to manipulate safeties if you want to be balanced. If you cannot make LBers or safeties pay for overdefending the run, you are not going to be very effective.

Like I said, we don't run anything off anything. It also doesn't help that teams haven't had to cheat with safeties or sliding LBers to stop us because they know that eventually we will quit doing what works. I swear to good if I see another 12 yard run followed by some pass play that shows no action like the previous play I am going to go nuts. You will be able to hear me on the first possession of the KU game because I guarentee we will do it. Run successfully, drop back and throw. It's what we do and it sucks. At least, for the love of all things holy, run some jet action to hold the middle and back side. Prime example-Jarvis West runs jet action against OU and scores on a long run. How many times did we dial that up the next drive? I don't remember any. Know why it worked? Because we hadn't done it before and normally we would just hand the ball off to the RB. I'm guessing that if you jet West on the next series the backside is keeping their *** put. This stuff just drives me crazy because it's simple.

Couldn't have said it any better myself! Great post!

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008

Exactly dude!! Great post, so do we see an OC change at the end of the season? Anyway I could never understand why we do not stick to what works and build on it when the D changes up a few different looks. Sorry, but I am just not a Messingham fan dont hate the guy just do not get his play calling at all.

PammelGuy

Nov 2, 2012
I would like to see a modified T or wishbone set to start motion out of. Think of Steele under center, Woody at fullback, SJ and JW at the halfback positions. Good inside, outside game. Two tight end set. (Watch the K State and Texas Offenses) Then, perhaps motion with one of the backs or spread the tight ends out. Make the defense think and react. We seem to come up in a shotgun 4 wide with limited motion and let the defense set the pace. Also, if we know they are going to blitz us lets throw to Bruns or wheel routes. I think the spread is best run when you have an accurate QB and WR that can win the battle for the ball. We have not been successful in that area of the game.