I need some baby gate help...

jakemcilroy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 26, 2006
As most do, our 8 month old LOVES steps. We have a baby gate for the top for the top of the steps but we rarely hang out upstairs. Our biggest need is for a baby gate for the bottom of the steps since he loves to climb up them.

Unfortunately, we cannot find a baby gate to use for our set-up. Please check out this picture and let me know if you have any ideas!

As you can see, our steps change change direction for one step only at the bottom. There is a rail to secure something to, but it is one step up. At the bottom step, it is open ended on one side which presents a problem.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Hmm, you could get one of the swinging ones and tie it off to the rail post there.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
So you want the gate to keep the baby off the bottom step?

I don't think I've ever seen something that would work. And I had to try a few at our house too.

In my experience I'd say just leave the bottom step un-gated. You're just gonna blink and the kid will be old enough to climb over it before you realize it anyway...at least that's what happened to me.

Reactions: AIT

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Hmm, you could get one of the swinging ones and tie it off to the rail post there.

Yep. You probably will have to let the little person have access to that one stair. that shouldn't be a big deal.

As the kid gets older, you will want to make the gate stronger where it meets the post.

-keep

AIT

May 29, 2008
Johnston, IA
I'd set up a gate on the landing. It won't be a big deal if the kid falls down a couple of carpeted steps. The kid will probably be climbing over the baby gate pretty soon anyway.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
We had a similar situation on our stairs. No good place to tie it into. We bought one that was a swing gate and was supposed to screw into each side (actually for a door opening). We screwed the one side into the wall and the other I strapped do the railing of our stairs with some super wire ties. I put some foam padding behind to keep from marring the finish on our railings.

It wasn't the best for looks, but I really couldn't find anything else and safety was more important to me than looks. It wasn't difficult to get back to looking normal when we were done with it as well.

tec71

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, Iowa
I have a a nice one that with a swinging gate built in that you can borrow if you want it, at least to try. I think it's this one. Sure and Secure Extra Tall Walk-Thru Gate - Summer Infant - Toys "R" Us

It doesn't bolt into anything, just has dials that extend out the arms to wedge it into place We may have to zip tie or somehow strap it to the newel post on corner. We used it in our last hourse in CF on that same exact situation.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Yep. You probably will have to let the little person have access to that one stair. that shouldn't be a big deal.

As the kid gets older, you will want to make the gate stronger where it meets the post.

-keep

this is what we did. our kids had access to the bottom step. the carpet helped break some small falls. no big deal to them.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
If you want to put the gate on the first step, just get a long piece of wood (about the width of the railing) and use tie wraps to attach it to the post. You can use the wood which essentially extends the width of the post to attach the gate on the bottom step.

Materials needed:

One piece of wood about 2" wide by about 3' high.

About four tie wraps.

Like this but with the wood on the side of the post (and a little thicker piece probabaly).

01009.jpg

Last edited:

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

-keep

That's kind of what we're planning for our stairs, too - it's a little inconvenient, but that one step is lower than them climbing up on a couch or a table or something, anyway.

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
I'd set up a gate on the landing. It won't be a big deal if the kid falls down a couple of carpeted steps. The kid will probably be climbing over the baby gate pretty soon anyway.

This, and he/she will get practice climbing steps.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron