I guess Iowa's collapse will start in March this year...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aug 26, 2014
Hooray! Can't wait to see all of the stupid stuff you post along with your terrible predictions.
Yeah like posting that I thought this team had the talent to win the Big 12, or that football would turn it around under CMC. I was soooo off base, clearly. One thing goes wrong and there are always cry babies posting about how we suck. That's when it gets annoying around here. I'm trying to put some positive energy into this board because it's pretty damn good to be a Cyclone right now.

• Funny
Reactions: benjimill

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I just read Titus preview on the Ringer and his Iowa/Cinci comment was entertaining... (and could potentially happen)
https://www.theringer.com/2019/3/18/18270515/mark-titus-ncaa-tournament-bracket-breakdown

"Most enticing potential story line: How many technical fouls will be called in the Cincinnati-Iowa game?

I’ve never wanted anything in my life as badly as I want Ted Valentine to officiate an NCAA tournament game between Mick Cronin and Fran McCaffery. I can already feel the tension just reading that sentence back. You know how sometimes a weird play happens, and the refs have to get together to discuss what the ruling should be? And how one ref brings the two coaches together at half court to explain the call to them? Just imagine a controversial call where Valentine brings McCaffery and Cronin together to give them an explanation that neither coach is happy with. Imagine how many times some variation of the phrase “you wanna go, bro?” would be said between those three. They’d start thrusting their chests into one another like they’re in A Night at the Roxbury as they each wait for someone else to make the first move.

By the way, I picture McCaffery being the type to instinctively take his shirt off when he’s about to get in a fight; Valentine as someone who puts on a pair of brass knuckles very slowly just to make a show of it; and Cronin standing off to the side yelling, “You guys are going to be in big trouble when I tell my dad about this!”

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Found a copy of the changes on the internet. It is pretty funny reading. A few things:

1) He only gets a 300k bump for making the tourney. He was to get a 100k bump anyhow so you really can't count that.

2) About what you asked. It didn't need to increase the buyout because if he was let go before either june 1st or June 30th (forget exactly which now) of 2023 he gets 3.6MM. Coaches will get let go by the end of March to attract another coach. That date effectively gave him another year right there.

3) It only talks about one extension for making the tourney so if would need to get a new one to have it extended again.

Its crazy he gets that. He gets paid to win games. Why should he get a pay raise if he slides into the tournament now and then.

Aug 26, 2014
I just read Titus preview on the Ringer and his Iowa/Cinci comment was entertaining... (and could potentially happen)
https://www.theringer.com/2019/3/18/18270515/mark-titus-ncaa-tournament-bracket-breakdown

"Most enticing potential story line: How many technical fouls will be called in the Cincinnati-Iowa game?

I’ve never wanted anything in my life as badly as I want Ted Valentine to officiate an NCAA tournament game between Mick Cronin and Fran McCaffery. I can already feel the tension just reading that sentence back. You know how sometimes a weird play happens, and the refs have to get together to discuss what the ruling should be? And how one ref brings the two coaches together at half court to explain the call to them? Just imagine a controversial call where Valentine brings McCaffery and Cronin together to give them an explanation that neither coach is happy with. Imagine how many times some variation of the phrase “you wanna go, bro?” would be said between those three. They’d start thrusting their chests into one another like they’re in A Night at the Roxbury as they each wait for someone else to make the first move.

By the way, I picture McCaffery being the type to instinctively take his shirt off when he’s about to get in a fight; Valentine as someone who puts on a pair of brass knuckles very slowly just to make a show of it; and Cronin standing off to the side yelling, “You guys are going to be in big trouble when I tell my dad about this!”
This is hilarious. Part of me wants to see McCaffery explode and make a total fool of himself again, but the other part wants him to stay calm to ensure he keeps his job safe and sound at Iowa. Hoping for another great 9 years from him there.

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Saw where Mad said he and Cronin are actually good friends. Which makes sense if you think about it. Except for the obvious disparity in coaching ability.

Reactions: chadly82

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Mad Fran vs. Mick Cronin could be the angriest coaching matchup of all time. I'm usually against split screens showing coaches while the ball is in play but I hope they just leave the cameras on the coaches and show the game up in the corner for this one.

The modern version of Norm Stewart vs Billy Tubbs

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
The hok tears are delicious. I love it when they all realize I've been right the whole time. Iowa State is significantly better than that bunch of losers out east. The hok collapse was always inevitable. Glad mad franny got that bonus to be someone's punching bag in the dance. At least it wasn't a play in game, which is what they actually deserved but had a miracle bank shot and a shot bubble propel them all the way to the 10 seed. Rough match up for you guys but still better than you deserve.
I am Certified hawk hater, but not like changes my life. You need therapy.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Iowa was 2-5 against teams this year rated in the top 25 of NET. Zero of those wins came on the road or neutral sites.

Cincy is a top 25 in NET team.

Iowa is also one of the worst teams against the spread in college basketball this year, going 13-20 there for the season. That's 39th from the bottom of a list (d-1 schools) of 350+ teams.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Decent chance Mini mad takes a punch.

I think the bigger question is who would have thrown it. I'd put money on it being an errant swing from Fran. Cincinnati actually has something to play for. I think they'll he composed enough to just point to the scoreboard.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
This is hilarious. Part of me wants to see McCaffery explode and make a total fool of himself again, but the other part wants him to stay calm to ensure he keeps his job safe and sound at Iowa. Hoping for another great 9 years from him there.
Yep. My feelings are all over the place on this one.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I just read where little mad played a baseball game this week. SEems odd that a key part to your basketball team would start his baseball season during the NCAAs.

Status
Not open for further replies.