I feel bad for the team

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
ISU isn't good enough to overcome bad officiating against a decent team. Both of the penalties on TB and BB on the touchdowns that were called back were weak calls at best. The replay official should be canned if he can't pull the trigger on a review of AF's touchdown catch. What is the purpose of a replay official if they don't see that play as worthy of review?

I was proud of how the defense stepped up in the second half. I would have liked to see how things would have played out if ISU didn't get jobbed by the officials.

Chris

Mar 20, 2006
Houston
Visit site
Makes you wonder, given the $$ invloved in college football and the fact that the Big 12 needs another team besides Texas to step up...did the officals control this game to insure a Nebraska win...

conmebul

Aug 13, 2006
same here, I thought that the defense played a lot better in the second half. We missed too many chances on offense though, and the touchdown before the half hurt

JokersWild

Mar 29, 2006
I agree with mt85.. you can't even say the score was 21-14 because you don't know how NE would have reacted.. thanks replay officials... dorks..

JCloned

Mar 20, 2006
Bad call on Austins touchdown, but we still had the opportunity to make the plays. Reality is like we have seen so often this year, we didn't. End of story.

conmebul

Aug 13, 2006
I think we did have many opportunities. But those calls really killed the momentum for Iowa State. The defense just forced a turnover, I think it would change the complexion of the game.

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
I remember reading an article a while back about a college official that was serving time related to gambling and officiating. I don't recall the details of the story, but I do recall that he claimed that this is a big problem in college athletics. When you watch a game like tonight it does give one pause about the credibility of officiating.

Chris

Mar 20, 2006
Houston
Visit site
With out a doubt the defense really stepped it up in the second half. Seemed like Banks and Bowen were flying everywhere and the new Safety was putting some hits on people.

Also, anyone think the big 12 will do anything regarding the reply booth persons??

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
Bad call on Austins touchdown, but we still had the opportunity to make the plays. Reality is like we have seen so often this year, we didn't. End of story.

I have to disagree with this to a degree because we did make a lot of big plays. The problem seemed to be less about making big plays and more about a flag showing up every time we made a big play, or in the case of AF, the officials just made a bad call, and the safety net of replay mysteriously failed.

Last edited:

GoState

Jun 4, 2006
Beaverdale
Lots of curious calls in football games today. Aside from numerous ones against the Clones, the one that stuck out was Michigan's first score against MSU--NOT a touchdown but wasn't reviewed because the replay booth said they didn't have enough time to stop play. ESPN put a timer on it--34 seconds from TD to PAT. Hey, sadly, it IS all about the money for the big conferences.

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
Chris have you noticed that yours and my rep levels dropped from 10 to -12. Maybe if were lucky we can get to negative 100 by the end of the night.

Last edited:

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Chris have you noticed that yours and my rep levels dropped from 10 to -12. Maybe if were lucky we can get to negative 100 by the end of the tonight.

Which of your posts are people taking offense to? You two haven't posted anything that bad that I can tell...

conmebul

Aug 13, 2006
I guess I should be getting used to this by now being a cyclones' and cubs' fan. It still pissed me off though. We might not win anyway even if the ref didn't blow the call, but at least I would've liked us to lose fair and square. Not by the aid of the referee.

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
what were the announcers on TV saying about those plays?

In regard to the AF touchdown. They said it should have been a touchdown, and they couldn't believe it wasn't reviewed. As far as the flags they pretty much went with the opinion that the officials made the right calls, but from my biased perspective the evidence looked weak on replay.

Last edited:

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I feel bad for the team too. I don't think that you can underestimate the power of momentum in college football. That offensive pass interference call was really bad, but the Austin Flynn touchdown was absolutely ridiculous, and the replay official should be suspended for not looking at it. Or maybe everyone is right and he just didn't want to see it. If either one of those plays goes the correct way, it is a COMPLETELY different ballgame. The offense was just starting to get the rhythym that we have been looking for, and the defense played their butts off all night. I think the coaches called a pretty good game too, with a few exceptions, but there too it's easy to find fault with a play after you see the result.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron