ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
https://www.reddit.com/r/GifRecipes/

Quick 30seconds to review recipes. It gives me a bunch of ideas.

Here is an example:

w4KS7fF.gif

Reactions: Cybyassociation

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
My wife and I hate cooking. We are lazy and prefer eating store-bought hot food. Yes, we know it's expensive, yes we know cooking can be easy, yes we know people meal plan. But we don't.

What are some tips for busy people with young kids who had no lessons in cooking growing up but know they need to start?

Get a crock pot and throw some sh!t in it.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Couple of key points: 1. Being literate and 2. being able to follow instructions. This will set you down a great path of easy at home cooking. Then once you feel all fancy you can even add ingredients that the recipe doesn't call for!

Getting to the fancy part is the best. Now I'll just look for ideas to get the basics of trying something new, and then I just freestyle from there with flavors we like.

Learning to pan fry chicken breasts is a pretty good start. You can start by sauteing some minced garlic in the oil. This is how I started and it opened up a lot of dishes. Also, learn how to slice vegetables. I find it somewhat therapeutic at this point. One hint, very few recipes call for enough garlic. You generally need to double or triple what the recipe says.

Agree 100% with this, but we also LOVE garlic, so we normally more than triple it.

cycart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2012
Johnston, IA
Getting to the fancy part is the best. Now I'll just look for ideas to get the basics of trying something new, and then I just freestyle from there with flavors we like.

Agree 100% with this, but we also LOVE garlic, so we normally more than triple it.
Funny story about garlic, I was making a crockpot meal that called for like 2 or 3 cloves or garlic and at the time I didn't realize a clove is not the same thing as a whole garlic. Long story short the house smelled like garlic for a week and now I know better.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
One of our only rules in our house is no ******** about the food. The grapefruit pesto didn't work out? No worries.

If either of you are an engineer (or an engineer at heart), I'd watch all of Alton Brown's "Good Eats" shows. My diet in college consisted of scrambled eggs and potato chips. And now I make my own sauerkraut and have a freezer full of smoked meats. I still eat potato chips, but they're chips I've made myself.

Reactions: theshadow

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Watch the non-competition shows on Food Network and Cooking Channel. Just ignore the fancy "home" kitchens and upper-crust ingredients. Focus on techniques -- and if you watch old episodes of Good Eats (reruns on at night on Cooking Channel), you'll learn some of the science/history of the particular food.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
Funny story about garlic, I was making a crockpot meal that called for like 2 or 3 cloves or garlic and at the time I didn't realize a clove is not the same thing as a whole garlic. Long story short the house smelled like garlic for a week and now I know better.

I did the same thing in college making my family recipe for chili. It called for one clove. It did not taste the same as I expected.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I did the same thing in college making my family recipe for chili. It called for one clove. It did not taste the same as I expected.
I have to be careful with my usual "by guess & by golly" measuring techniques when making my Texas strawberries (family name for slowcooked pinto beans & ham hocks). It calls for a couple of shakes of Tobasco. Too little and the beans are bland. Too much and you might as well camp out in the bathroom. We also warn people to NOT have seconds, no matter how much they like them. :D

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA

Haha I think we have all been there! Luckily my now wife was with me at the time and we were both prepping different things. I brought cloves from 3 whole pieces of garlic that I peeled over to her and she was like WTF. Accident avoided but we still go way over on garlic.

I actually have a roast in the oven right now that called for 2-3 cloves, I probably did 12.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
When you do cook, cook more than you'll eat at 1 meal that way you have some leftovers for that week that will save you time another night when you may be in more of a hurry. Pasta is real easy for that and re-heats well. Whenever I grill something I usually make enough to last another meal or 2. Crockpot recipes basically just require some prep time then all you have to do is turn on the crockpot and forget about it till dinner time and usually makes plenty of leftovers as well too.

Just start simple and work your way into stuff that takes more time and effort and maybe a little skill as well too. I'd rather take a little time to make a bunch of food in 1 shot that will last me multiple meals which saves me time other nights when all I have to do is re-heat leftovers.

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Also, to clear up a common misconception: Just because it's homemade it doesn't mean it's healthy.

EDIT: For example, a lot of the "Tasty" recipes, or the recipe videos you see on Facebook will have healthy ingredients, and then cover them in butter or cheese. While some butter and cheese is certainly not bad, it probably shouldn't be the major ingredient of a "healthy" recipe.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron