I am getting sick of ...

CycloneJoe

Jan 12, 2009
Carson City
Gable dominated

Cael struggled to even make the US olympic team

Lee fullhart gave him all he wanted and actually beat him in a match.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Call me what you want after this response but it doesn't matter what to me who he takes, like Varner and Cyler and possibly more plus our recruiting class b/c I will always be a fan of Cael, no matter where he coaches.

I have known Cael since he was a freshman, living with Joe Heskitt and neighbors with me in Linden Hall, so it doesn't matter what happens to ISU wrestling with his departure! I have actually become more of a fan of PSU wrestling now b/c of Cael being their HC!

So, let the all the anti-Tank bashing begin!!!!!!!!!

So you make a thread to shield your friend because he is being picked on.

Right now I am in the sorta upset camp. If Cael takes anybody or allows anybody to follow him besides his brother, I will loathe him for life. Greg McDermott showed how to move schools and do it the classy way, and he is still probably being hurt by that decision. But he took the high road, so as to not harm his alma mater, which he cares about. The ball is now in Cael's court. He poaches wrestlers, he should be finished in the eyes of ISU fans.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com

Right now I am in the sorta upset camp. If Cael takes anybody or allows anybody to follow him besides his brother, I will loathe him for life. Greg McDermott showed how to move schools and do it the classy way, and he is still probably being hurt by that decision. But he took the high road, so as to not harm his alma mater, which he cares about. The ball is now in Cael's court. He poaches wrestlers, he should be finished in the eyes of ISU fans.

yep. agree completely.

Last edited:

BurgundyClone

Apr 15, 2007
East of Omaha
I disagree with the notion that he "put ISU on the map". That's a bit absurd, especially when 9/10 people on the street outside of Iowa have no clue who Cael Sanderson is. It's not like the Olympic coverage gave him incredible due, unlike (ahem) gymnastics teams.

I have a couple of customers who are huge sports fans -one in Boston one in Minneapolis who I was complaining about losing Cael to on Friday. Neither had a clue who he was. I was surprised by that, but realized wrestling is a total niche sport, and most schools don't have it. The general public doesn't watch it , even during the Olympics it's back of the reel material sadly. Cael briefly got the Wheaties cover, but that was likely just around here where it would sell...

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA

ha! at the time if Mac had brought any MVC players to ISU you all would've criuxified him for bringing lowly as-rans into the Big Bag Big 12.

Now it looks like he might as well brought the whole damn team.

Tank

Sep 13, 2008
Niceville, FL

I did not make a thread to shield him from being picked on b/c he is my friend. We are all adults here and no longer in the 5th grade (like some are acting). My thread came about b/c EVERY thread about this topic has people on there stating that they have lost all respect for Cael b/c he decided to leave his alma mater ISU for PSU and is possibly taking some of his boys with him. It wasn't even 10 years ago that Cael could do no wrong in the eyes of the ISU faithful as he finished undefeated and not even 5 years ago when he went to that next level by winning the Gold and then not even 3 years ago when he was going to be the saving grace of ISU wrestling by taking over as the coach. Now fast forward to 2009 and Cael leaves ISU for another school and now he is the anti-christ in those same eyes of the ISU faithful with quotes of "how could he ever leave ISU?", "he is completely turning his back on the school that he owes everything to!" and finally, "I have lost all respect for Cael now for leaving!".

I am an ISU fan but sometimes we look a lot like the Squawk fans when something doesn't go our way and we can't just let the man live his life and continue on with being a head coach somewhere other than ISU! Nobody expected him to stay for the next 20, 30 or 40 years at ISU and he didn't use ISU as a stepping stone! No matter what, with his credentials, he would have found a HC job somewhere in Div 1 wrestling and we were just lucky that ISU gave him that opportunity.

So, one last time, let it go! At least he didn't go to IOWA!!!

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Nobody expected him to stay for the next 20, 30 or 40 years at ISU and he didn't use ISU as a stepping stone! No matter what, with his credentials, he would have found a HC job somewhere in Div 1 wrestling and we were just lucky that ISU gave him that opportunity.

I expected him to stay for the next 20 years because he said as much when I golfed with him last year.

We were lucky that I-State gave him an opportunity? I would say he was lucky that Pollard gave him the opportunity.

I respect Cael as a wrestler but I definately lost some respect for him as a coach over the last couple of days.

At the end of the day though what really matters is that I-State wrestling is bigger then Cael. We were good before him and we will be good after him.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
I did not make a thread to shield him from being picked on b/c he is my friend. We are all adults here and no longer in the 5th grade (like some are acting). My thread came about b/c EVERY thread about this topic has people on there stating that they have lost all respect for Cael b/c he decided to leave his alma mater ISU for PSU and is possibly taking some of his boys with him. It wasn't even 10 years ago that Cael could do no wrong in the eyes of the ISU faithful as he finished undefeated and not even 5 years ago when he went to that next level by winning the Gold and then not even 3 years ago when he was going to be the saving grace of ISU wrestling by taking over as the coach. Now fast forward to 2009 and Cael leaves ISU for another school and now he is the anti-christ in those same eyes of the ISU faithful with quotes of "how could he ever leave ISU?", "he is completely turning his back on the school that he owes everything to!" and finally, "I have lost all respect for Cael now for leaving!".

I am an ISU fan but sometimes we look a lot like the Squawk fans when something doesn't go our way and we can't just let the man live his life and continue on with being a head coach somewhere other than ISU! Nobody expected him to stay for the next 20, 30 or 40 years at ISU and he didn't use ISU as a stepping stone! No matter what, with his credentials, he would have found a HC job somewhere in Div 1 wrestling and we were just lucky that ISU gave him that opportunity.

+1 Out of rep Tank, but spot on.

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
Call me what you want after this response but it doesn't matter what to me who he takes, like Varner and Cyler and possibly more plus our recruiting class b/c I will always be a fan of Cael, no matter where he coaches.

I have known Cael since he was a freshman, living with Joe Heskitt and neighbors with me in Linden Hall, so it doesn't matter what happens to ISU wrestling with his departure! I have actually become more of a fan of PSU wrestling now b/c of Cael being their HC!

So, let the all the anti-Tank bashing begin!!!!!!!!!

That probably explains our differences in perception. If I understood your statement correctly, you are a fan of Cael first and a fan of ISU wrestling second. I am first and foremost a fan of ISU.

I still disagree, ISU did more for Cael than he did for ISU. Would somebody else have hired him if we didn't push Douglas out the door to make room for him? Probably. Would it have been a program as prestigious as ISU and would they have paid him as much as we did? Probably not. ISU did everything possible to keep him a member of the Cyclone family over the years but he decided there were more important things and moved on. That's his decision.

If he takes wrestlers with him he will be mirroring the behavior of Brands when he left VT. If people thought that was wrong, which I did, then there is no way to perceive Cael taking wrestlers as any less wrong.

Reactions: Cyrocks