I agree with Ken Miller, Rhoads needs to be accountable

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Just good to hear an opinion that doesn't wear the cardinal and gold glasses and isn't a hawk fan

So what's your solution? What would make you happy? Rhoads gone? Rhoads personally calling you up and telling you that you are smarter than he is?

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
So what's your solution? What would make you happy? Rhoads gone? Rhoads personally calling you up and telling you that you are smarter than he is?
So after year 5 and a 1-5 record we can't worry? I love Rhoads but someone has to be the fall guy in our worst loss in football history, who is it? Not Rhoads right he gets a free pass right?

ISUATC

Feb 1, 2007
I can't believe people on here think they are owed something. It's pretty simple, if you don't like it then spend your money somewhere else. But, Rhoads and staff owe you nothing!!

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
I guess if you want one. But I personally don't think the team owes me anything. I happily went to Memphis. Had a great time. **** happens and sometimes teams lose.

I don't think any fan wants to win more than the coaches and team. So while a fan might be upset and not want Rhoads to be the coach (I'm not one of those), Rhoads owes me nothing.

You're probably right. But it would be nice to hear him say (and maybe he has) that our fans deserve better than what we gave them -- both in Memphis and this weekend. I think they fought hard against UNI, Iowa, TTech, etc. But the worst loss in a history of losing?? What kind of effort must there have been?

(I am not complaining about bowl wins, by the way. I went to Memphis and went to bowl games in Phoenix, Houston, and Shreveport twice. The only game I felt like the team came out flat and disappointed the fans who spent the money and made the trip was Memphis. I felt like we deserved a good effort and we didn't get it.)

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I try to be level-headed. I honestly don't think there is a coach who will raise ISU to anything more than an 8-win-on-occasion team. I believe a good goal every year for us is making a bowl game. I thinking winning a bowl game or having an 8 win season is a great accomplishment here.

The thing is, with a decent offense we couldve been an 8-9 win team last year. Instead we were about 11 points off of mediocre. With a decent offense and how down the big 12 is, we couldve had a 6-7 win season this year (the defense down would still be hurting us) and we'd likely be sitting with at least 3 wins right now (baylor still obviously a loss)

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I can't believe people on here think they are owed something. It's pretty simple, if you don't like it then spend your money somewhere else. But, Rhoads and staff owe you nothing!!

A product was invested in, and it is not seeing returns. Most investors would bail on that product, but in this case most investors care about the company being invested in and want it to succeed, so they stick around, offering criticism, hoping something will change for the better.

Its not the fans who said 'we need your help to get better. we need your investment to take things to the next level'. That was the ISU program saying that. Well, fans have invested, and fans have invested overwhelmingly beyond the AD's dreams. So yes, fans do have a right to expect something. They held their end of the bargain, its time for the football program to do so as well.

Reactions: CTTB78

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Most people are mad right now but just wait, next comes apathy with more losses and then they throw their hands up and stay home and don't buy tickets....

I'm describing what happened during the Criner and Walden years....

As Earle Bruce said "You have to play what you recruit". This is big boy big time football and if you want the big bucks you have to be able to put up with some really big losses like sat night. Which was the worst loss I have seen in the last 50 years.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA

I feel differently. They owe us their best effort.

They wouldn't have a job without us. If we collectively choose to not support the product on the field, then there is no product on the field. We are shareholders in a company and they have a responsibility to us. And when we pay for four season tickets, a parking pass, countless $4 bottles of soda/water, all on top of a $1000 donation to even get tickets, I do think we are owed effort. I think we are owed a team that fights. And that is what we have had most of the season and most of Rhoads tenure.

Don't like it? Then don't ask me to donate, travel to bowl games, shop at Cy's Lockerroom even though it is more expensive, buy season tickets to MBB, travel to the B12 MBB tournament, buy tickets at the Big Four classic. You ask me to do those things, then you had better be prepared for expectations to come with it.

If you just want fans to watch the game on TV and buy a T-shirt from Scheels, maybe you can have a different opinion.

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
What part of this quote isn't accountable?

"There’s plenty to be corrected, and the first group to start correcting will be us as a coaching staff. You don’t lose a game like this with players -- you lose this game as a complete organization. It starts with examining your plan, like why we went with it and why was it ineffective. Then, physically, why we didn’t get things accomplished. There are no places that we will be able to brush over and say we were good there."

Reactions: Aclone

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
A product was invested in, and it is not seeing returns. Most investors would bail on that product, but in this case most investors care about the company being invested in and want it to succeed, so they stick around, offering criticism, hoping something will change for the better.

Its not the fans who said 'we need your help to get better. we need your investment to take things to the next level'. That was the ISU program saying that. Well, fans have invested, and fans have invested overwhelmingly beyond the AD's dreams. So yes, fans do have a right to expect something. They held their end of the bargain, its time for the football program to do so as well.

This is a new development in the last 3 years only. People act like JTS has been sold out for decades, we just started doing it consistently. To expect an immediate change in level of football program is stupid. This team looks a lot like the one in 2003, extremely young and getting their heads kicked in, 2004 and 2005 could have been special with a decent coach. Relax people, its not like their are 22 seniors out here getting their ***** kicked.

Another thing, does it really matter if the score is 77-14, 56-10, 52-0, 56-0 or 71-7? Our ***** were kicked after the score was 42-0, anything beyond that didn't matter.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
If we as season ticket holders aren't owed something what exactly are we buying into?

GWad

Aug 22, 2013
until CPR speaks to this, we'll keep getting more ******. He knows there is frustration and he knows with whom, but to not even address it is pathetic. Even a "I know there is talk about about Coordinators but I am keeping them through this year" would give us something.
Good managers praise in public and criticizes in private. You cannot blame CPR for what he says publicly.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
This is a new development in the last 3 years only. People act like JTS has been sold out for decades, we just started doing it consistently. To expect an immediate change in level of football program is stupid. This team looks a lot like the one in 2003, extremely young and getting their heads kicked in, 2004 and 2005 could have been special with a decent coach. Relax people, its not like their are 22 seniors out here getting their ***** kicked.

Another thing, does it really matter if the score is 77-14, 56-10, 52-0, 56-0 or 71-7? Our ***** were kicked after the score was 42-0, anything beyond that didn't matter.

Generally no, until you get to the whole "worst defeat in ISU history" - at that point, the margin of defeat matters. There is no reason that any ISU team should ever be beaten by the worst margin in ISU history. We have had plenty of crap teams in the past. And we have played absolutely dominant teams. No reason we should get beaten that bad by a "pretty good" team. Baylor is great on offense but not on defense. We played great teams who fielded top squads on both sides of the ball.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Good managers praise in public and criticizes in private. You cannot blame CPR for what he says publicly.

not criticizing at all. but letting public opinion fester and grow into something bad doesn't help. admit there is a public opinion then say why or why not it should matter. 'I understand there is a call for Messingham to be replaced. He is working our system well and we are constantly growing so he will remain the OC for at least the rest of this year." Addresses public opinion and does not criticize.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Selling out is recent, but the fanbase participation level has been far above the results on the field for a long time before that.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
If you don't like the product don't buy it. It's pretty simple.

Maybe I'm reading the letters and emails wrong, but based on the correspondence I get from the AD, it seems that they take a slightly different view and would like me to donate and buy tickets whether I like the product or not...

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron