Hy-Vee's weirdest business decision yet?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
No, a place that sells things in an amount that single people would buy (ie, 6-pack cartons of eggs, 1/2 pound tubes of hamburger, 1/2 loaves of bread).
Would you pay 2/3 the cost of the "full" item for that?
The bread exists in 1/2 loaves now. Don't save much.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Would you pay 2/3 the cost of the "full" item for that?
The bread exists in 1/2 loaves now. Don't save much.
Eggs are half cartons also. I think he must only shop at large places. Smaller towns have a lot of elderly single people. You can get packs of 4 buns, small containers of peanut butter and such. It’s already there if he just looks.

CyState85

May 8, 2019
Eggs are half cartons also. I think he must only shop at large places. Smaller towns have a lot of elderly single people. You can get packs of 4 buns, small containers of peanut butter and such. It’s already there if he just looks.

You are missing the point. The whole store is based off these items; I fully understand it’s not consumer friendly

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
You are missing the point. The whole store is based off these items; I fully understand it’s not consumer friendly
Yes I am, so you eliminate a bunch of customers?
leftorium.gif

Reactions: Macloney

Blackhawk6515

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 21, 2008
And another thing, who designs Hy-Vee's parking lots? They are the worst. I guess they figure if you can navigate those you can navigate their stores.

• Agree
Reactions: alarson

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Hy-Vee in general just seems "off" since they first tried the sit down bar/restaurant thing in them ten years ago. Seems like they are flailing. I think their leadership team sucks, they are always changing course. And their ads are the WORST.

They nailed the liquor store part of things though.

Yes and no... They've actually taken away a lot of the purchasing power from the wine and spirits managers. They don't buy near the volume they used to and that directly reflects on the shelf price. This applies to beer and wine and not really spirits due to state control.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyched

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
When they start stocking Booker's bourbon, I'll shop there. As it is, I can find much better offerings and prices at Central City Liquor. Cyclone Liquor too. Having a once a year "raffle" so I get a chance to buy McKenna or the like is not for me.

Last time in I was in Hy-Vee it was their brand or nothing, so I choose nothing.

By the way, anyone have pull with Total Wine? Would love to have one in the metro.

Won't happen unless the state gives up the control/distribution of spirits.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
Last week I was next in line at the check out and an employee steps in front of me to refill the gum. Dumps a bunch of packages right on the belt. I gave him 30 seconds, before I said he needs to move now.

I used to make fun of those people that went grocery shopping at Menard's at 8am on Saturday, but I'm starting to get it.
I've told my wife many times if she dies and the kids have moved out my shopping experience probably won't go too far past Menards. Most tools aren't that great but they are usable, the groceries aren't that good but they have them, they have some clothing. One-stop-shop and less bs than the other places.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
No, a place that sells things in an amount that single people would buy (ie, 6-pack cartons of eggs, 1/2 pound tubes of hamburger, 1/2 loaves of bread).
Or you could start a store that only caters to people that are left-handed. You could sell left-handed scissors, left-handed golf clubs, left-handed can openers, left-handed playing cards, etc. You could call it the Leftorium

Reactions: Farnsworth

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
Or you could start a store that only caters to people that are left-handed. You could sell left-handed scissors, left-handed golf clubs, left-handed can openers, left-handed playing cards, etc. You could call it the Leftorium
Son of a *****, Should have turned to the next page before I typed this.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Yes and no... They've actually taken away a lot of the purchasing power from the wine and spirits managers. They don't buy near the volume they used to and that directly reflects on the shelf price. This applies to beer and wine and not really spirits due to state control.
I don't know about wine and spririts but beer selection varies greatly amongst stores so I assume that the managers have a big say in that. On a side note, the new Hy-Vee Wall to Wall is pretty nice. I'd like to see something like a Total Wine to compete against them but until then.....

• Agree
Reactions: baller21

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
My only explanation is that Hy-Vee's entire board shorted the stock and are getting nervous that the blue hairs keep shopping there despite their best efforts to push people away. Otherwise, I just don't understand their moves lately. They are a grocery chain. You don't need to set it up so that your customers just hang around the place all day. Or maybe I'm wrong and I'm the only one trying to make my grocery shopping experience as short as possible.

On a side note, I guess Wahlburgers is opening in Cedar Falls soon. So there's another reason to avoid the place.

How do you short the stock of a company that's not publicly traded? It has a core ownership group with the opportunity for store managers to buy in.