Hy-Vee-What's up?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
This. And I always make it a point to pick up a bag of Fareway brand onion rings on my way out. There's just something about those breaded, diced onion, uniformly sized little darlings that I can't quit.
Thanks for the tip. I work right next to a Fareway, I'm going to have to check these out.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Unfortunately Hy-Vee is the closest liquor store for me here in Ankeny. I went to Central City once but their beer selection was pretty meager. I am much more of beer guy than liquor guy. Suggestions?
North Ames Fareway has a beer cooler.

• Love
Reactions: Cyched

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Unfortunately Hy-Vee is the closest liquor store for me here in Ankeny. I went to Central City once but their beer selection was pretty meager. I am much more of beer guy than liquor guy. Suggestions?
I live in MN so I can't help you. Sorry!

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020

It doesn't help you now, but I have heard a beer, wine, and spirits store (currently with locations in Omaha and Lincoln) is looking for a space in West Des Moines. Maybe soon you'll have a better option.

• Informative
Reactions: jcisuclones

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
No one wants to eat in the Market Grille. Bring back the Cafeteria style dining. I loved getting full for $6 although my waistline didn’t like it as much.
We at there one time. That was enough. Get me back to the Cafeteria style and I'll be all aboard that again

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
We at there one time. That was enough. Get me back to the Cafeteria style and I'll be all aboard that again

Ate there once, as well. We only did it because they had done a partnership with a new BBQ place so they were selling their smoked meats. It was...disappointing. And we never returned.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I can't echo this more. I worked at Hy-Vee full time when they were making the transition to Market Grille dining. When it was cafeteria dining employees could sit in the general dining area and it was so quick and easy. Then when the MG opened, they forced the employees upstairs to the dingy breakroom that was A) too small and B) dingy and disgusting. Nobody had been eating in it due to its filth. You would think the store director might have made it more of a point of emphasis to keep it clean since he no longer allowed his employees to eat downstairs, but no. He didn't care. I had to resort to eating in my car a lot of times.

Personal griping aside, most of the customers I talk to who actually do eat at Hy-Vee, aka regulars, have absolutely hated it. I've noticed most stores have done away with the wait staff, but what has emerged is some kind of discombobulated part cafeteria/part bar/part restaurant abomination. At least I notice staff can sit in there again.

• Agree
Reactions: dawgpound

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Thanks for the tip. I work right next to a Fareway, I'm going to have to check these out.

Just a heads up, these aren't the big, thick, beer battered, pub style offerings most onion ring connoisseurs would prefer. These are small. Pre-formed. Diced onion, not whole. More akin to what you get at BK. And they're a delight.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and arobb

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
Our HyVee fired all the butchers to save money and you can only buy prepackaged overpriced old stuff that comes from who knows where, at least from what I have been told since it’s been 19 months since I set foot in there.
I'm not sure which HyVee you are referring to, and I typically shop at Fareway because it's super close, but that is definitely not the case with HyVee's meat. It seems like you're getting bad information.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I should probably do Aldis more. I went in there once and it kind of freaked me out and I haven't been back.

Were in north Ankeny too and while Aldis is ok for some things like produce, some dairy and some boxed stuff, the majority of it isnt good.

My wife shops at a combo of Target, Fareway and Sams. To a much lesser extent Aldi.

We’ve probably stepped foot in a HyVee a half dozen times in the last year and it’s usually on a Sunday for a couple things or we’re looking for something off the wall that they might have.

We’ve talked about doing some more shopping at Whole Foods since they have delivery with Prime memberships now. My parents used at and they had the food at their place within a couple hours of ordering.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Just a heads up, these aren't the big, thick, beer battered, pub style offerings most onion ring connoisseurs would prefer. These are small. Pre-formed. Diced onion, not whole. More akin to what you get at BK. And they're a delight.
I am one of those guys that loves BK rings, so sounds great to me.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I'm not sure which HyVee you are referring to, and I typically shop at Fareway because it's super close, but that is definitely not the case with HyVee's meat. It seems like you're getting bad information.
Each store acts pretty independently, so this wouldn't surprise me a whole lot. Most stores surely would still have a butcher though I would think

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012

Wife of one of the fired butchers so maybe axe to grind, not sure? Many people have said no one at meat counter, meat cut and packaged elsewhere. Is still a person slicing deli meat and cheese and making sandwiches.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Each store acts pretty independently, so this wouldn't surprise me a whole lot. Most stores surely would still have a butcher though I would think

Each store has its profit margins to meet. I think that’s why before they fired the butchers they fired a bunch of long timer full time people to hire part time and pay less salary and benefits. Ours is in a rural area but also has no competition for 10 miles. Undoubtedly more of a challenge than sending money to corporate if running a DM metro store even with the monopoly. The prices are way higher than stores that have competition in town. Most people who are able to drive out of town and need to save money will do so.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa

I haven't found a good non hyvee liquor store in the metro. Central City is truly good for liquor. The one in Urbandale sucks. The one in Grimes sucks too

• Agree
Reactions: SayMyName

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Our HyVee fired all the butchers to save money and you can only buy prepackaged overpriced old stuff that comes from who knows where, at least from what I have been told since it’s been 19 months since I set foot in there.
The one I frequent in Ames removed the bath bombs quite a while back. I think maybe a lot of people (like me) complained about how overpowering they were. I had to completely avoid that section, and send Lew in for items I needed.

Reactions: carvers4math

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
The problem with HyVee is a lack of actual competition.

Fareway and Aldi are just different animals with their strange quirks. I refuse to shop at Fareway because of their cart thing. I can take my own groceries out. Also don’t like that they aren’t open Sundays. I go to the store when I need stuff. Shockingly that includes Sunday’s. Aldi I haven’t gone to in a long time but I always understood their selection to be really lacking.

Walmart and Target are stores with groceries. I refuse to shop at Wal Mart for anything and Target isn’t better than HyVee for groceries.

The only real similar competitor in the metro is Price Chopper and I think they make Dahls look really good.