Hy-Vee vs Fareway - Sunday Commercials

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
This. If they didn’t have a few very specific things, we would never shop there again.

Whoever gave the green light for selling the Tasty Tacos seasoning should be the new CEO.
They sell the Tasty Tacos hot sauce as well, except they sell it for $2 more than Tasty Tacos charges in their restaurants for the same bottle (was the same price as the restaurant a year ago. Typical Hyvee price gouging.

• Informative
Reactions: Macloney

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Recently HyVee has sold like half a dozen Minny stores and is now leasing them and they also cancelled building like half a dozen Minny stores.
So, whatever they're doing up there is not working.

Don't know about anymore but Byerly's up there used to be really nice but sort of pricey. They sold really good bulk bacon though.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
This “dual store” shopping still amazes me every time.

Why?

Takes limited extra time in a community my size, especially with ALDIs online pickup option. Just a bit more planning. Aldi is good for everything they happen to have except meat. Fareway has the rest.

Probably save $40+/week over a single stop at Hy Vee.

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
Was stocking up on s’more supplies for campfires. Six pack of Hershey bars at Hy-Vee = $1.99. Fareway on sale for $4.99, regularly $5.99

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
They need bodies in the stores from what I’ve read. Retail management down to all positions. They are offering some moving allowances in the case of certain stores. They have overkill in the IT and marketing corporate functions. Nothing I’ve seen shows it is a financial decision. 500 jobs out of 88000 employees is squat. Especially when they are trying to hire way more than that.

LMAO trust me, they DON'T have overkill in their corporate functions. 500 CORPRATE jobs is a very big deal. Quit trying to equate retail level positions to corporate jobs. Also, they need bodies in the stores because they pushed out a lot of pull time employees and only hire part time jobs to avoid paying benefits. HyVee doesn't employee near the full time retail gigs as they used to.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
And in other Hy-Vee news, there is a "Christopher Williams" angle: :chris:

Hy-Vee claims lawsuit over mural in ad is invalid

Tyler Jett

Des Moines Register |USA TODAY NETWORK

A Hy-Vee lawyer says an artist can’t sue the grocery chain because he doesn’t actually own a mural he painted in Des Moines that the company used in a Super Bowl ad.

Answering a February lawsuit filed against Hy-Vee in U.S. District Court, an attorney for the grocer wrote that artist Christopher “CAW” Williams signed over ownership of the mural at Sixth and College avenues to a nonprofit group in 2018.

According to a contract Hy-Vee submitted in court this week, the neighborhood development group 6th Avenue Corridor agreed to pay Williams $3,000 for the painting. The contract stipulates that the nonprofit would own the painting upon payment but does not assign copyright of the image — which is generally considered legally separate from a physical piece of art itself.

Instead, the contract says 6th Avenue Corridor may not “copyright, reproduce or merchandise images” of the mural without Williams’ written consent.

• Haha
Reactions: shadow and Gorm

shadow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Central Iowa
I love that we're now 27 pages into a thread that has largely turned into talking about how much the Hy-Vee CEO sucks. Fascinating.

I also enjoyed learning that Fareway's online ordering and pick-up is really good plus the Scheels info. I actually stepped inside a Scheels for the first time in my life a few weeks ago and was blown away. I didn't know the massive big box store concept for a narrowly focused thing still worked. Really cool plus the Lego selection was really good which will help for Christmas shopping.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I love that we're now 27 pages into a thread that has largely turned into talking about how much the Hy-Vee CEO sucks. Fascinating.

I also enjoyed learning that Fareway's online ordering and pick-up is really good plus the Scheels info. I actually stepped inside a Scheels for the first time in my life a few weeks ago and was blown away. I didn't know the massive big box store concept for a narrowly focused thing still worked. Really cool plus the Lego selection was really good which will help for Christmas shopping.

Scheels sells Legos? Isn't that a little like Hy-Vee selling footwear? Stay in your lane!

shadow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Central Iowa
Scheels sells Legos? Isn't that a little like Hy-Vee selling footwear? Stay in your lane!

Yea, kind of like Hy-Vee. It also gave me a Menards vibe as well (e.g. you never know what you might find).

To me, it did sort of make sense because it was in a big toys section near a lot of kids' sports stuff.

cedarstrip

Aug 26, 2013
FYI, exact same pancetta package is 5.99 at fareway, 7.99 at Hy-Vee. Wandered Hy-Vee for 15 minutes looking for it. Not by the bacon, not by the ham. Near the cutting board stuff.