Hy-Vee vs Fareway - Sunday Commercials

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
So you really think they're offering corporate-level salaries to people being forced to move to retail positions?

What % of those 88,000 employees are retail workers making $15/hour? I'm guessing a lot. All of those 500 employees were making way more than $15/hour.
Where is the proof they are being asked to take $15/hr jobs? That part seems made up.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Where is the proof they are being asked to take $15/hr jobs? That part seems made up.

Someone has already shared a testimonial of it

Its asinine to assume otherwise. They aren't going to overpay for someone to bag groceries and they aren't going to move someone directly from IT into retail management as they'd have little experience there.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Someone has already shared a testimonial of it

Its asinine to assume otherwise. They aren't going to overpay for someone to bag groceries and they aren't going to move someone directly from IT into retail management as they'd have little experience there.
I guess that settles it. Appreciate the first hand account. :rolleyes:

Curious what the vendetta everyone has against HyVee is? I do not shop there but it seems like it's a pretty damn popular spot every time I drive by one of their stores.

StormnClone58

Jan 24, 2008
West Des Moines

As i said in my earlier post, I know this is a fact. And in some cases it’s lower than $15/hr.

As I asked, why cant you just take people at their word? … The person my information is from has no reason to provide me false information.

For someone who claims ‘they have no dog in this fight’, you seen to be taking a strange stance on all of this.

Reactions: Cyclones01

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I guess that settles it. Appreciate the first hand account. :rolleyes:

Curious what the vendetta everyone has against HyVee is? I do not shop there but it seems like it's a pretty damn popular spot every time I drive by one of their stores.

I mean an employer that publicly **** talks their employees for refusing to derail their careers and take jobs well outside their field or pay range is always going to be disliked.

Its more odd that you're lining up to bootlick for their CEO.

Reactions: MJ29

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Ok I'll ask you again, do you really think Hy-Vee is going to eliminate the jobs of 500+ corporate-level employees, tell them to go work at the retail level, and then continue to pay them their corporate-level salaries?

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
As i said in my earlier post, I know this is a fact. And in some cases it’s lower than $15/hr.

As I asked, why cant you just take people at their word? … The person my information is from has no reason to provide me false information.

For someone who claims ‘they have no dog in this fight’, you seen to be taking a strange stance on all of this.
He's acting delusional, thinking Hy-Vee is going to pay corporate salaries to people bagging groceries.

• Agree
Reactions: StormnClone58

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I mean an employer that publicly **** talks their employees for refusing to derail their careers and take jobs well outside their field or pay range is always going to be disliked.

Guy sounds like a tool. I’m not arguing that. Don’t know him though.

Found this account on LinkedIn. Doesn’t sound too horrific. Person even said they’d consider returning in the future in one of the comments.

“As others have posted, Hy-Vee has begun a second round of restructuring and my position was eliminated. My supervisors did an amazing job working with me to find an alternative position in the company. However, it was my decision to step off the Hy-Vee path and begin a new adventure. I find myself looking for my next opportunity. I'm looking to build my network and connect with individuals searching for office professionals. I have experience in accounting, traditional advertising, volunteer coordination, event planning, fundraising and office administration. I'm new to LinkedIn so I welcome and appreciate any help by commenting or sharing this post to extend my reach.”
#opportunity

kcdc4isu

Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
I know for a fact (I have friends who were let go) that those laid off and offered retail jobs would be making less than their current office job. There are some jobs in subsidiaries that the pay is closer but not as many jobs there. Main issue was for some too many people in areas that had been beefed up prior to the pandemic and need for people in the stores.

Reactions: isuno1fan

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I know for a fact (I have friends who were let go) that those laid off and offered retail jobs would be making less than their current office job. There are some jobs in subsidiaries that the pay is closer but not as many jobs there. Main issue was for some too many people in areas that had been beefed up prior to the pandemic and need for people in the stores.
Good info.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Do you know if they were being asked to bag groceries or be cashiers? What were the types of retail jobs they were offered? How much was the paycut? Were they $15/hr jobs?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Do you know if they were being asked to bag groceries or be cashiers? What were the types of retail jobs they were offered? How much was the paycut? Were they $15/hr jobs?

I mean what other “retail jobs” are there really at grocery store?

Bagger
Cashier
Stocker
ChiVee guy
Specialty cake decorator
????

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Anyone remember Hy-Vee had some sort of deal with horse racing..think it was "Let's Go to the Races"?

Reactions: Acylum

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I mean what other “retail jobs” are there really at grocery store?

Bagger
Cashier
Stocker
ChiVee guy
Specialty cake decorator
????
Have no idea, but I suspect there is more to the operation of a large store than just those types of roles. Customer Service might be another area. Not saying any of those are great though. I'm just legitimately curious to hear some real examples of what someone was doing at corporate and what they were offered in retail. People are just painting the picture that this is such a ****** move by HyVee so I'd like to understand it better.
Honestly, IT and Marketing jobs are a dime a dozen so I'm sure pretty much all of these folks will land on their feet just fine given the tremendous labor gap that currently exists.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa

Do you work in IT by chance?

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Once again, if a company is doing well, they are not eliminating 500+ positions. If they're doing well, they're looking to add more employees.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
If we're talking IT jobs, there are only a handful of jobs in the store that would come close to the same pay. In a large store, you're probably talking 2 management positions and 3 department heads. None of those 5 positions they would give to someone without a lot of experience in the field I.E. Deli Manager. After those 5 positions, there is a serious drop in pay. So for example, the person running the meat/cheese island probably makes a third as much as the meat manager.
In summary, this wasn't an honest offer by Hy-Vee. They knew no one with a brain would go from working corporate to working in the stores. The CEO thought he was being cute with the whole "We don't want people that are not willing to work in the stores" but no one plays into that **** since like 1/2 the state has worked at Hy-Vee at some point. Hy-Vee use to be 10x the company it is right now but even back then, they were not an easy company to work for. A lot was expected out of people making close to minimum wage but that always made me appreciate never having to work retail again.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron