Hy-Vee vs Fareway - Sunday Commercials

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Still haven’t seen any financial info posted that shows HyVee is “failing”.
I’m not defending them….they definitely are tarnishing their image with the recent PR, but I’m guessing they are far from floundering.

Hi Randy! (I think that's the ceo)

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Also curious if the jobs in the stores are offered at a paycut to current salary or are they the same salary these folks are/were making at corporate?
Reading the internal letter shared in the Reddit post above, it looks like one IT employee inquired about a Wine & Spirits Manager position and were told they’d have to start as a clerk and work their way up.

• Informative
Reactions: isuno1fan

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Still haven’t seen any financial info posted that shows HyVee is “failing”.
I’m not defending them….they definitely are tarnishing their image with the recent PR, but I’m guessing they are far from floundering.

I don’t think you’re going to see financials from a privately-held company. Laying off the entire IT department whilst doubling down on construction for Aisles Online seems like an odd choice. A recession is a great excuse to eliminate unnecessary positions, and they may not be financially struggling, but their CEO is utterly time-deaf. I hope they eliminate his position and let him be a clerk instead.

Reactions: Mads4st8

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
The stuff going on in Minnesota makes me think they are having some financial issues. Selling properties and backing out on planned stores. Maybe they are just doing this to prepare for the move east that they've been talking about for awhile.

StormnClone58

Jan 24, 2008
West Des Moines
Also curious if the jobs in the stores are offered at a paycut to current salary or are they the same salary these folks are/were making at corporate?

I know you’re in the ‘just asking questions’ crowd. But why cant you just take people at their word? Not many people wish to burn their friends and family with their first hand accounts of what is happening at Hyvee.

I can assure you, they are all being offered lower wages, and in most cases, starting wages.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Do you seriously think there's a possibility Hy-Vee is going to pay corporate-level salaries to people bagging groceries and ringing shoppers up?

Logic be damned. Is it too much to see someone's pay stub that had a corporate job to now bringing carts in?

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Do you seriously think there's a possibility Hy-Vee is going to pay corporate-level salaries to people bagging groceries and ringing shoppers up?
Seems like if this were the case we’d see people impacted sharing their stories and it would be highlighted more in the news reports, but everything I see is third hand info or anonymous posts it seems. I’ve yet to see someone directly impacted say they offered me a retail job at half my current salary. Not saying it’s not happening…just fishy it’s not being reported that way.
Lots of people with an agenda it seems.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Seems like if this were the case we’d see people impacted sharing their stories and it would be highlighted more in the news reports, but everything I see is third hand info or anonymous posts it seems. I’ve yet to see someone directly impacted say they offered me a retail job at half my current salary. Not saying it’s not happening…just fishy it’s not being reported that way.
Dude, if Hy-Vee was going to continue paying them their corporate salary, what would be the point of moving them to retail gigs? It makes no sense.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL

It’s possible that as part of any severance package they get, they’re barred from disclosing details.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Dude, if Hy-Vee was going to continue paying them their corporate salary, what would be the point of moving them to retail gigs? It makes no sense.

Exactly, this is a cost cutting measure.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
It’s possible that as part of any severance package they get, they’re barred from disclosing details.

They also may be searching for work right now and probably don't want their name publicly out there on a news source

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
They need bodies in the stores from what I’ve read. Retail management down to all positions. They are offering some moving allowances in the case of certain stores. They have overkill in the IT and marketing corporate functions. Nothing I’ve seen shows it is a financial decision. 500 jobs out of 88000 employees is squat. Especially when they are trying to hire way more than that.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Maybe part of the layoffs is them getting back to normal from the extra hires they made when Covid started. Pure speculation on my part.

• Agree
Reactions: kcdc4isu

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
They need bodies in the stores from what I’ve read. Retail management down to all positions. They are offering some moving allowances in the case of certain stores. They have overkill in the IT and marketing corporate functions. Nothing I’ve seen shows it is a financial decision. 500 jobs out of 88000 employees is squat. Especially when they are trying to hire way more than that.
So you really think they're offering corporate-level salaries to people being forced to move to retail positions?

What % of those 88,000 employees are retail workers making $15/hour? I'm guessing a lot. All of those 500 employees were making way more than $15/hour.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclones01

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I got no dog in this fight...just find it odd that so many here seem to have a vendetta against them for some reason or other and the facts don't seem to support the picture folks are trying to paint of a failing business with a poor balance sheet.

Who knows though...I certainly don't. Just being a contrarian.

• Dumb
Reactions: alarson

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron