Hy-Vee vs Fareway - Sunday Commercials

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Is it a secret society where you have to hint at the discount instead of just telling us what it is?
It varied years ago and it's been a long time for me.
"Back in the day" it was roughly 5-8% above cost. Corporate just wanted to make sure shipping and putting it one the shelf was covered.

So basically the entire store was roughly half off. There was a monthly limit but during Christmas that was kind of loose.

As long as you weren't flipping products it was no questions asked.

Reactions: NWICY

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Also, fun fact, January Jones's mom was pretty high on the Scheels ladder.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
"Back in the day" it was roughly 5-8% above cost. Corporate just wanted to make sure shipping and putting it one the shelf was covered.

So basically the entire store was roughly half off. There was a monthly limit but during Christmas that was kind of loose.

Gotcha. That is nice. My (now) wife worked in Younkers years ago when we were in college, and they had some decent discounts too. Good enough that she'd still try to pick up a shift on occasion just to keep the discount. I was a huge beneficiary.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo

Yeah, the only rule that I remember was that it had to have been in the store for 14 days so that you couldn't pick up shoes before the release date for high end basketball shoes.

At that time I believe it was cost + 2% but that would have been 1998ish.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: NWICY and JP4CY

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
This is not the first or will be the last company who expands when times are good but then must cut back when it gets tough. I have been in companies who have had to due this in the past.

• Agree
Reactions: isuno1fan

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
This is not the first or will be the last company who expands when times are good but then must cut back when it gets tough. I have been in companies who have had to due this in the past.
No, there are no excuses for HyVee, they've been expanding my entire life and I'm in my 40's. It's not that they expanded, it's how they chose to do it. They turned their back on the Iowa consumer and we've supported failed venture after failed venture. Current leadership was handed a golden ticket and they somehow managed to F it up. It's pretty incredible really.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
"Economic difficulties translates to yeah we f*cked up...

In last week's advertorial and today's statement, they're blaming a recession that hasn't even arrived yet for their troubles. Given the weakened state of local media, I'm sure nobody's going to probe too deeply into Hy-Vee's mismanagement, but there is clearly blood in the water. That board had better get control.

Reactions: cyfanatic

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
This looks even worse when other grocery chains are having financial success during the same time.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I guess I don't see all the animosity. I don't even shop at HyVee, but rightsizing a business happens all the time. Yes...the CEO is a bit of a tool, but this isn't anything earth shattering IMO.

There are 20+ pages in this thread, not to mention other threads floating around from past years, with specific detail about Hy-Vee's bad decisions and mismanagement.

Hy-Vee isn't rightsizing, it's trying to avoid capsizing.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron