Hy-Vee vs Fareway - Sunday Commercials

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale
Fareway makes an ad pumping up that they are closed on Sunday. And then Hy-Vee retaliates by making an ad bragging that they’re open on Sundays.

View attachment 96803

I think these may have happened in reverse order. I could be wrong on that, but I know first-hand that Hy-Vee has been making a concerted effort to go after Fareway as of late.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I was at some local event recently and they were talking about the importance of building your brand on quality and what not. He started the presentation off doing when I say "Company" you tell me "first thing that comes to mind".

"Fareway" was the first example, and everyone's response was "closed on Sunday". I guess he was looking for quality meat so we all failed.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I was at some local event recently and they were talking about the importance of building your brand on quality and what not. He started the presentation off doing when I say "Company" you tell me "first thing that comes to mind".

"Fareway" was the first example, and everyone's response was "closed on Sunday". I guess he was looking for quality meat so we all failed.

But to be fair, most people I know seem to accept and respect it. To be fair I was a little disappointed when Aldi's went to open on Sundays, and I shop there way more than Hy-vee or Fareway.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
But to be fair, most people I know seem to accept and respect it. To be fair I was a little disappointed when Aldi's went to open on Sundays, and I shop there way more than Hy-vee or Fareway.

Oh it wasn't a knock on Fareway at all. I think most shoppers there see it as a positive as the employees get a day off.

Personally I think that's a little outdated, especially when a lot of these companies rely heavily on part time workers, but that's another topic.

Reactions: cyfanatic

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Haven't seen them but I can guarantee if it's a TV ad from Hy-Vee, it sucks.

It‘s streets ahead of those “Our House” commercials that ruined a perfectly good song.

Text fading on & off the screen, absolutely trolling some unnamed store that’s not open on Sundays - Etta James singing “A Sunday Kind Of Love” for the soundtrack - ending with a shot of a strip steak that you can buy Sundays at HyVee.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
A commercial for chuck roast?
badumtss-baxmusic.gif

Reactions: Acylum

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
It‘s streets ahead of those “Our House” commercials that ruined a perfectly good song.

Text fading on & off the screen, absolutely trolling some unnamed store that’s not open on Sundays - Etta James singing “A Sunday Kind Of Love” for the soundtrack - ending with a shot of a strip steak that you can buy Sundays at HyVee.
The 'Our House' commercials were horrible. The 'Scan the Code and Feed the Hungry' tailgate commercials were even worse.

I just think hitting Fareway over Sundays is kind of a dumb move. Everybody already knows Fareway is closed on Sunday. It's not like HV is eating into Fareway's Sunday market. Just kind of a waste, and while there are times it'd be nice if Fareway was open on Sundays I think it's kind of a cool move that they give all of their employees that day off. If I were Fareway I'd think about coming back at HV with a spot about why they're closed and how it's about employees having the day with their fam. Or is that what Fareway did already?

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
The fact that they are targeting Fareway means Fareway must be doing something right.

We had a previous store manager at the local Hy-Vee whose wife was super religious and she was always badmouthing Hy-Vee for not allowing their employees to keep Sundays “holy.” Not sure there are many of those types out there for Hy-Vee to alienate any more.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
The 'Our House' commercials were horrible. The 'Scan the Code and Feed the Hungry' tailgate commercials were even worse.

I just think hitting Fareway over Sundays is kind of a dumb move. Everybody already knows Fareway is closed on Sunday. It's not like HV is eating into Fareway's Sunday market. Just kind of a waste, and while there are times it'd be nice if Fareway was open on Sundays I think it's kind of a cool move that they give all of their employees that day off. If I were Fareway I'd think about coming back at HV with a spot about why they're closed and how it's about employees having the day with their fam. Or is that what Fareway did already?
I mean it’s not like Hyvee employees don’t get days off they just don’t all get Sunday off and a lot of part time workers actually like extra weekend hours.

I used to live in a town with Fareway as the only grocery store so I always hated having to drive to the next town if I forgot to get something before Sunday so I selfishly prefer them to be open every day.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I mean it’s not like Hyvee employees don’t get days off they just don’t all get Sunday off and a lot of part time workers actually like extra weekend hours.

I used to live in a town with Fareway as the only grocery store so I always hated having to drive to the next town if I forgot to get something before Sunday so I selfishly prefer them to be open every day.
Makes sense. I just think it's a weird flag to plant for Hy-Vee. I've also never been a fan of the big guy picking a fight with the little guy in an ad campaign, sends a message (to me anyways) that Fareway is doing something right.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Makes sense. I just think it's a weird flag to plant for Hy-Vee. I've also never been a fan of the big guy picking a fight with the little guy in an ad campaign, sends a message (to me anyways) that Fareway is doing something right.
I agree. For a company that is doing major expansion across the country, this seems very weak. It's like Iowa State making fun of Grand View sports. They shouldn't even acknowledge Fareway. It's been a long time since I've been in the grocery game but I'm guessing most of the metro Hy-Vee's are doing at least triple the sales per week as the metro Fareways. Many decades ago, the top stores in Des Moines (Urbandale and 35th WDM) were doing $600k week in sales in relatively small stores and the top Fareways wouldn't come close to $200k, which was still less than the bottom Hy-Vees (Ingersol and MLK)
Maybe spend some money on your ****** delivery service that seems to get worse every year.

Last edited:

Help Support Us

Become a patron