Hy-Vee vs Fareway - Sunday Commercials

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Yes, I worked there in the 1970s. Green stamps also.

Hy-Vee had Regal stamps. I think they were an orange yellow color with red print. They were great. My parents got a crock pot with them. I think they got one of my trikes with them as well as my baton.

Reactions: NWICY

cy90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 12, 2010
That show was in color? We still had a black and white..lol. Damn I'm old!
I remember when I was little our horse we had came in second, we were so excited watching the race. I can’t remember what we would have won was it like $500-$1000?

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
They need bodies in the stores from what I’ve read. Retail management down to all positions. They are offering some moving allowances in the case of certain stores. They have overkill in the IT and marketing corporate functions. Nothing I’ve seen shows it is a financial decision. 500 jobs out of 88000 employees is squat. Especially when they are trying to hire way more than that.

Except for their own corporate statement about the layoffs.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I can see why people are frustrated with Hy-Vee. You have a unlikeable CEO who makes the following decisions for a grocery chain:

-Sell retail stuff (shoes, beauty, clothes) that no one goes to a grocery store to buy.
-Spend untold millions to bring Walburgers into many stores. And pay Marky Mark to endorse.
-Pay Patrick Mahomes as a sponsor
-Sponsor a race car (probably $20+ mil per year)
-Sponsor two races at a dying race track in Newton.
-Spend tons of money on a really odd marketing campaign.
-Reduce hours for many stores.
-And maybe the worst of all, spend money on producing a Bachelor-type show

And when all of that doesn’t really work, you lay off 500 corporate people while the CEO keeps his job.

Whether they are struggling or not, that’s PR at its worst.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
I can see why people are frustrated with Hy-Vee. You have a unlikeable CEO who makes the following decisions for a grocery chain:

-Sell retail stuff (shoes, beauty, clothes) that no one goes to a grocery store to buy.
-Spend untold millions to bring Walburgers into many stores. And pay Marky Mark to endorse.

And when all of that doesn’t really work, you lay off 500 corporate people while the CEO keeps his job.

Don't forget NIL for Catlin Clark...

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
I remember when I was little our horse we had came in second, we were so excited watching the race. I can’t remember what we would have won was it like $500-$1000?
Weren't those races already run? Hy-Vee put a numbers game out there knowing results so you rarely saw a winner? Sounds kind of illegal in today's world. Rigged horse racing..lol. I didn't care. I was young too and watching those races was a blast!

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

They are trying a Bachelor type show? That is beyond stupid.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
They are trying a Bachelor type show? That is beyond stupid.

I also forgot my biggest pet peeve - they closed the distribution center in the metro where they did most of their online shopping. So now they have people running all over the place in store pulling 4 carts which makes the shopping experience awful. I’ve gone to Fareway for 90% of my shopping.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I love self checkout and wish that it had been around way before it was, but the way that most places have used it to save a buck is almost shameful. Sure, by nature it would have eliminated some manned lanes, but businesses have use it to eliminate almost all manned lanes. Old people don't want to use self checkout. I don't want to use it with $200 worth of stuff.

On that note, it is painful to watch a checker bag $200 without a bagger. If I wanted Wal-Mart service and prices, I would go there. I pay more at Hy-Vee because they used to have service and amenities that I at least perceived to be better than others. I now realize I was just nostalgic for Hy-Vee.

My wife isn't from Iowa and has said that Hy-Vee has sucked for a while now and she has been completely right.

Cuts in checkers, cuts at the meat counter, high prices, ugh. Is it too late to go back to what made you good?

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
We do an Aldi pickup order and finish out at fareway.

Hy Vee has become unbearable to me. Incredibly expensive. Produce isn’t great either

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I love self checkout and wish that it had been around way before it was, but the way that most places have used it to save a buck is almost shameful. Sure, by nature it would have eliminated some manned lanes, but businesses have use it to eliminate almost all manned lanes. Old people don't want to use self checkout. I don't want to use it with $200 worth of stuff.

On that note, it is painful to watch a checker bag $200 without a bagger. If I wanted Wal-Mart service and prices, I would go there. I pay more at Hy-Vee because they used to have service and amenities that I at least perceived to be better than others. I now realize I was just nostalgic for Hy-Vee.

My wife isn't from Iowa and has said that Hy-Vee has sucked for a while now and she has been completely right.

Cuts in checkers, cuts at the meat counter, high prices, ugh. Is it too late to go back to what made you good?

100% agree. Self checkout also sucks if you have booze since you never know how long it will take someone to come over.

Hyvee has gone way downhill except for one thing - selection. If they didn’t have that, my 75% Fareway/25% Hyvee would be 100/0.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
100% agree. Self checkout also sucks if you have booze since you never know how long it will take someone to come over.

Hyvee has gone way downhill except for one thing - selection. If they didn’t have that, my 75% Fareway/25% Hyvee would be 100/0.

This. If they didn’t have a few very specific things, we would never shop there again.

Whoever gave the green light for selling the Tasty Tacos seasoning should be the new CEO.

• Informative

cy90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 12, 2010
Weren't those races already run? Hy-Vee put a numbers game out there knowing results so you rarely saw a winner? Sounds kind of illegal in today's world. Rigged horse racing..lol. I didn't care. I was young too and watching those races was a blast!
Yes I think you are right now that I think about it.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
HyVee eliminating some benefits 2 years ago, switching most of their checkouts to self checkout, cutting a bunch of jobs at the corporate level, and shuttering a Kansas City fulfillment center are definitely moves of a company with healthy financials:mccaffery:
Recently HyVee has sold like half a dozen Minny stores and is now leasing them and they also cancelled building like half a dozen Minny stores.
So, whatever they're doing up there is not working.

• Agree
Reactions: GMackey32

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

I'm convinced the CEO pops a microchub at the thought of rubbing shoulders with B-level celebs and NFL players. It's the only explanation.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron