Huskers coming to Ames after huge win

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
What a horrible loss. Weird, the sets that we commanded were the ones we lost, and we came from behind to win the one we did.
On a positive note: Mass is simply the best libero in the nation; I thought Carly Jensen was the best player on the court with 17 kills AND 17 digs. Who does that???

ISU dives all over the place. We seem to be most effective when we're on the defensive and scrambling. When ahead (and with more structure) we seem to freeze up a little.

ISU is the hardest-working team in the country; I hope this loss doesn't linger.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Looked like when we had over 20 points, we did not step it up enough. We sometimes watched each other. yet it is much better than the start of the season.

beatiowa

Dec 21, 2008
Berkeley, CA
To other people who were at the match: Were those three calls that everyone booed at the end of set 4 correct calls, questionable calls or dead wrong calls? I couldn't see any of them very well from where I was at. I don't blame losses on bad calls, but those were so frustrating because getting those points probably would've meant a set 5.

garn91

Jun 1, 2006
Ankeny
that was a helluva match, hard fought win for my Huskers. ISU will be a team to reckon with this year.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
To other people who were at the match: Were those three calls that everyone booed at the end of set 4 correct calls, questionable calls or dead wrong calls? I couldn't see any of them very well from where I was at. I don't blame losses on bad calls, but those were so frustrating because getting those points probably would've meant a set 5.

The first ball looked easily long, the next point looked like a HUGE lift, and I can't remember the third...

We just have no killer instinct. Henson, you can't miss that serve. You just can't.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
The first ball looked easily long, the next point looked like a HUGE lift, and I can't remember the third...

We just have no killer instinct. Henson, you can't miss that serve. You just can't.

It was more than just Henson. Like, Maas getting "aced" on match point?????

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
No. I honestly think being in Ames High helps us. The atmosphere there is amazing. And there were probably only like 50 husker fans there tonight. It was awesome.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Good effort by the ladies, Nebraska's size took over down the stretch of the lost sets. Our defense was as good as I've ever seen! I can't believe how well Jensen is playing!

Also, this just in - Hockaday is smoking hot :biggrin:

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Good effort by the ladies, Nebraska's size took over down the stretch of the lost sets. Our defense was as good as I've ever seen! I can't believe how well Jensen is playing!

Also, this just in - Hockaday is smoking hot :biggrin:
This just in, Carly Jenson is not ugly. :wideeyed:

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Can anyone who was there give first-hand accounts of the atmosphere?

Absolutely awesome. There were a few seats left (northwest balcony) but it was packed in pretty tight, and it was LOUD a few times down on the floor. Hard to compare to Hilton however. It gets louder than Hilton, but Hilton's also a huge home court advantage with how high the ceiling are and what that does to depth perception. It sure as hell stays cooler in Hilton.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
No. I honestly think being in Ames High helps us. The atmosphere there is amazing. And there were probably only like 50 husker fans there tonight. It was awesome.
Nebby played 14 matches overseas earlier in summer. They should be close to peaking whereas we might get better. The digging was great.

bugs4cy

Jun 7, 2009
Story County
Loud, hot, exciting. I honestly preferred it to Hilton. A much more intimate setting and there were pretty much no Nebraska fans there.

Totally agree that it was loud, hot and exciting. Not sure I prefer it to Hilton because I find the seats ridiculously uncomfortable. I know that's namby-pamby, but that's what my rump was telling me by the end of the game.
:sad:
Last night was the first game we made this year because we've been on vacation. It was a nail biter and I was impressed with how the Cyclones stayed neck and neck with the Hucksters, an obviously excellent team.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
The best player on the court was Werth (sp) from Nebbie. She was the gal with the goggles/glasses. She was a freak.

That said, the girls really played well except for the last few pts of the lost sets.