Well, they had plenty of notice so I don't feel sorry for able bodied people who decided to stick it out.5 days in advance is a bit of a stretch. Yes, the cone of uncertainty passed over the area, but even like a day before it was thought that this storm's primary damage would be farther north, and not as strong as it ended up being as this really strengthened in the final hours before landfall.
These forecast cones hit these areas enough that a lot of people can't just leave every time they get into the warned area. Not everyone can afford to pack up their stuff, their kids, their animals, etc, drive hundreds of miles away and pay hundreds per night on hotel rooms. So for a lot of people it really, effectively, is having to make a short-term decision within the last 24 hours on whether to bail.
They've been warning people for a week now. I'm sorry but if I have a Cateorgy 5 as big as the entire state bearing down on me I'm not sticking around to find out if it ends up being 150 or 120mph winds.