Hunter Knighton, o-line grad transfer visits ISU

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley
Campos was a RSJR this year so no need for a medial RS. He's back next year regardless.
I know he is back next year, but they were already talking about applying for him in order to have 2 years left for him

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
The fact that he played very little this past year at Miami is a red flag to me in a couple regards. First, Miami is a shell of its former program. So I am skeptical he can be a difference maker at ISU. Would we expect a backup senior lineman that doesn't play for the Hawkeyes, to be a starter at ISU? I hope not.

The other red flag, does this indicate our OL talent on the existing roster among soph, jr and sr is really bad? Or did Richt play young kids, building for the future.

Got my fingers crossed he wasn't a good fit in Mark Richt's system.

1. You can never have too many lineman
2. Believe it or not, there is still a talent gap between Miami and Iowa State

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Can someone give us the tl;dr summary?

Like most USA Today articles - not much depth. He had flu at university, worked out which brought on heat stroke. They took him to hospital where we was in coma (supervised) for 12 days. He got better with lots of help and telethons and might even have sold bracelets (making this last part up). Football so important to him he had to play again.

Was working on my vague european typing accent - was it coming through?

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
1. You can never have too many lineman
2. Believe it or not, there is still a talent gap between Miami and Iowa State

1. You can have too many lineman. There are only 85 scholarships and 22 starting positions. That means roughly a four deep of scholarship players. So there can roughly be 20:scholarship o-lineman.

2. I agree there is currently a talent gap between starters on Miami and starters a ISU. However, I don't think there is a huge gap (or any gap), between what it takes to start at ISU and a senior at Miami who doesn't play.

The coaches obviously know more than me, but I don't think this is a slam dunk that he starts at ISU.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
1. You can have too many lineman. There are only 85 scholarships and 22 starting positions. That means roughly a four deep of scholarship players. So there can roughly be 20:scholarship o-lineman.

2. I agree there is currently a talent gap between starters on Miami and starters a ISU. However, I don't think there is a huge gap (or any gap), between what it takes to start at ISU and a senior at Miami who doesn't play.

The coaches obviously know more than me, but I don't think this is a slam dunk that he starts at ISU.

I don't think that it's a lock that he would start. But, look at ISU's interior OL: JGJ probably moves to Center which would be his first real season there, Scoggins MAY get a 6th year, Meeker played a little as a RSFR, but was beaten out by a walk-on, Windham hardly played, Odeogu redshirted and hasn't played a down of D1 FB and Forbes redshirted as a TRFR. To say that a kid that saw the field for the U as a utility OL and likely played out of position some as an OT couldn't help ISU is crazy.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
I don't think that it's a lock that he would start. But, look at ISU's interior OL: JGJ probably moves to Center which would be his first real season there, Scoggins MAY get a 6th year, Meeker played a little as a RSFR, but was beaten out by a walk-on, Windham hardly played, Odeogu redshirted and hasn't played a down of D1 FB and Forbes redshirted as a TRFR. To say that a kid that saw the field for the U as a utility OL and likely played out of position some as an OT couldn't help ISU is crazy.
Here is how I see it. A 5th year senior playing second team in a quality program may be better, for one year, than a redshirt freshman with little or no experience who may have potential but has not had the time to develop.

• Agree
Reactions: SpokaneCY

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.

You spoke my mind.

I'll guess that next years starters will be Campos, JGJ, Meeker, one or maybe two out of Foster, Mueller, Forbes, Udeogu.

I also am fairly confident that there will be a name in the two deeps (or starting) that most people won't see coming. Whether that be a transfer, or a current upper class-men walk on. I think that's something you will routinely see with this staff. Walk on lineman who overachieve.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
The staff doesn't seem to be in a hurry to chase any JC offensive linemen. This seems to indicate that they are ok with the guys in the program or they think one of the high level HS OL recruits could play right away. Manning really did an incredible job with the offensive line this past year. From start to finish, the improvement was impressive. I would really like to see what he could do with the likes of Munford and Chandler.

If we get another year from Scroggins, we will have three guys with lots of experience to build on.

• Agree
  • Dislike
Reactions: 2020cy and jay moe

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
You spoke my mind.

I'll guess that next years starters will be Campos, JGJ, Meeker, one or maybe two out of Foster, Mueller, Forbes, Udeogu.

I also am fairly confident that there will be a name in the two deeps (or starting) that most people won't see coming. Whether that be a transfer, or a current upper class-men walk on. I think that's something you will routinely see with this staff. Walk on lineman who overachieve.

Yep - Robbie Garcia is the one you missed, that most won't see coming! The fact that he changed position mid-year and played over many returning OL says a lot about both he and the competition at OL.

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
The fact that he played very little this past year at Miami is a red flag to me in a couple regards. First, Miami is a shell of its former program. So I am skeptical he can be a difference maker at ISU. Would we expect a backup senior lineman that doesn't play for the Hawkeyes, to be a starter at ISU? I hope not.

The other red flag, does this indicate our OL talent on the existing roster among soph, jr and sr is really bad? Or did Richt play young kids, building for the future.

This kid got lost in the shuffle of the coaching change, no red flags for me. Besides,a guy who rarely saw the field at Minnesota came in and started last year from day 1, I think he was even one of our team MVP's.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

Similar things probably could have, and probably were, said about Brian Bobek coming into this year. He "couldn't hack in at tOSU", "wasn't that great at Minnesota", injury prone...
He ended up being an integral piece of our OL.

I will always default to this mantra, "Trust the staff." They know a hell of a lot more about football then any of us. Particularly Manning, who's been awarded for his eye for OL talent.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
Similar things probably could have, and probably were, said about Brian Bobek coming into this year. He "couldn't hack in at tOSU", "wasn't that great at Minnesota", injury prone...
He ended up being an integral piece of our OL.

I will always default to this mantra, "Trust the staff." They know a hell of a lot more about football then any of us. Particularly Manning, who's been awarded for his eye for OL talent.
Bobek left OSU because of injuries and was a starter for Minnesota before getting injured once again. He was one everyone was excited to see on the roster.

Knighton would be a great addition. If it weren't for his heat stroke, he would have started for Miami this year. Another year to recover from that horrible experience, and back in the interior of the line will be perfect for whatever team gets his services.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Bobek left OSU because of injuries and was a starter for Minnesota before getting injured once again. He was one everyone was excited to see on the roster.

Knighton would be a great addition. If it weren't for his heat stroke, he would have started for Miami this year. Another year to recover from that horrible experience, and back in the interior of the line will be perfect for whatever team gets his services.

He's probably one guy that will be glad to avoid the Florida heat