How will the Committee Use Net Rankings?

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Saturday at 11:30 CBS and the NCAA will be doing their in-season reveal of the top 16 teams. The interview in the linked article kind of sheds some light on how the Committee will use the Net rankings along with other metrics. Iowa State appears to be in really good shape and I expect to see them in Saturday reveal.

It's also interesting to see that the Big 12 has been hurt the most by the new Net rankings.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...-about-the-net-and-how-bracket-will-be-built/

• Informative
Reactions: IndyClone15

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Saturday at 11:30 CBS and the NCAA will be doing their in-season reveal of the top 16 teams. The interview in the linked article kind of sheds some light on how the Committee will use the Net rankings along with other metrics. Iowa State appears to be in really good shape and I expect to see them in Saturday reveal.

It's also interesting to see that the Big 12 has been hurt the most by the new Net rankings.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...-about-the-net-and-how-bracket-will-be-built/

I would guess part of the reason that it might be hurting the league is that strength of schedule doesn't seem to be a big factor and margin of victory does. Other conference have some pretty bad teams that teams at the top can blow out even on the road and it moves their ranking up. Also gives you a road win which seems to be valued more.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I would guess part of the reason that it might be hurting the league is that strength of schedule doesn't seem to be a big factor and margin of victory does. Other conference have some pretty bad teams that teams at the top can blow out even on the road and it moves their ranking up. Also gives you a road win which seems to be valued more.

ACC basketball has become identical to the SEC in football in terms of some fool's gold schedules. Likely often the best conference in many measures but schedules can range from very hard to very easy.

ACC hoops has 15 teams, 18 games. You play 10 once and only 4 twice.

SEC football has 8 games. You play 6 in your division and only two from the other, potential to completely dodge up to 5 very good teams.

Big 12 is the polar opposite of these. The conference can be up or down but every schedule is exactly of the same quality as the conference in total.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
NET obviously needs to be fixed or at least tweaked, but I feel pretty good as far as ISU is concerned, as our rankings are remarkably consistent across most of the various systems.

I agree but I also I don't see a lot of upward movement happening between now and selection Sunday since the Net rankings don't favor the Big 12 at all. Bringing in additional tools will certainly favor us though.

EnkAMania

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 31, 2013
Seattle
NET obviously needs to be fixed or at least tweaked, but I feel pretty good as far as ISU is concerned, as our rankings are remarkably consistent across most of the various systems.
I think the committee may go to "one of the tools" used card, to make sure some of their favorites get seed where they want.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I think the committee may go to "one of the tools" used card, to make sure some of their favorites get seed where they want.

I think the human factor is important, as it allows them to adjust for the flaws that inevitably come out of any system (though I agree that there will be some good old boy adjustments here and there).

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
We are currently # 13 in NET, but #18 in RPI, so we're being helped pretty considerably.

Would be nice if we made top 16 this weekend. This would influence the pollsters to move us up if we keep winning and get us closer to a DSM pod.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Gonzaga is so far off the chart I didn't even see them until a closer look.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Gonzaga is so far off the chart I didn't even see them until a closer look.

SOS is a major factor in Gozaga's numbers. They are obviously a good team but their schedule is pathetic.