How was dickie v during the game?

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
i loathe dickie v but was wondering what people thought of his commentary during the game. I was at a bar and couldn't hear the announcers.

did he actually give good fair analysis of the game or did he just slop over michigan until the very end when we won.

Cincyclone

Feb 5, 2012
Was great IMO. Very complimentary of ISU. Clearly did his homework on both teams and talked up Hilton Magic a TON. It was basically a 2 hour long recruiting video for the Cyclones.

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
Dickie seemed to really enjoy himself, and gave Hilton, the fans, ISU, Hoiberg major props

He did fawn all over Michigan 80% of the time, but it was great having him here in Ames

Spam

May 21, 2008
I could hear him, but I was not listening.

The few seconds I did care to listen, he was fantastic and very complimentary to ISU

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I was OK with the performance shortly after the game when he started blubbering about Michigan STATE. I've never seen an announcer in any sport get so mesmerized with the top 4-5 programs like **** V can. He knows more about the top 5 any given point then he does the other 300+ teams put together.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
I will say the crowd was great. They drown out ****'s voice for most of the game.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
If you didn't like Dickie V before, you will still not like him. Probably nothing anyone on this forum can say to change your mind. If you like good publicity for ISU, you will like the fact that he was here and enjoy the national exposure like the rest of us.

nhclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2008
Wasn't too bad, very complimentary of Freddy and Hilton magic. Had a few moments where my brother and I exchanged a "what the **** is he talking about" look.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
The crowd was loud enough most of the game to drown out his voice quite a bit. Now that he's been to Ames and Hilton, I will tolerate him a lot more than I used to. In general it was really a big deal finally getting a visit from him.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I normally can't stand him, but I didn't think he did a bad job yesterday. I also thought the crowd was drowning him out a lot. How loud was it inside? A couple people have told me they didn't think it was near what the Kansas game was last year. Sure seemed similar.

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
Look for Dickie's next few games. He has a habit of rehashing good experiences or venues on the air, on national TV

I'm sure there will be many more ISU props from Dickie V as long as we keep winning

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I could hear the play by play guy clearly, even with the great crowd noise, but I had a hard time making out 50% of what Dickie was saying. His voice seemed kind of muffled. He was OK toward ISU, but talked more about MI until the last three minutes.
I was surprised that he brought up the infamous Johnny Orr interview when Johnny told him he 'kick his a.. when he was at MI". I could not believe that he tried to say his Detroit team cost Johnny a national championship. Did I hear that right?

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I could hear the play by play guy clearly, even with the great crowd noise, but I had a hard time making out 50% of what Dickie was saying. His voice seemed kind of muffled. He was OK toward ISU, but talked more about MI until the last three minutes.
I was surprised that he brought up the infamous Johnny Orr interview when Johnny told him he 'kick his a.. when he was at MI". I could not believe that he tried to say his Detroit team cost Johnny a national championship. Did I hear that right?

Yes, you did. And then he started going off on a tangent and the other guy quickly changed the subject and helped guide him back on course.

Other than that, I thought he did a great job.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
I gotta say that at first I didn't want him here at all, I found him annoying at times during games, but I wouldn't mind having him back in the future.

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
The whole broadcast and outcome was great... except for when they showed the Ohio State game from last March toward the end of the game. Yuck.

Help Support Us

Become a patron