How to get recruits - The Bag Man

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
That article is fascinating! Well worth a read, but also makes me start to dread college sports. There's a reason the "blue bloods" almost always win...

Topshelf

Jan 31, 2007
Ames, IA
That article is fascinating! Well worth a read, but also makes me start to dread college sports. There's a reason the "blue bloods" almost always win...

I almost seem numb to these things now. Nothing shocks me anymore. I always wondered if it has happened at Iowa State during the good years... and the only thing that would shock me is if it is happening here with Hoiberg.... I think he is to clean to be involved, but what about any of his top recruiters... Could they be doing it without his knowing? I always like to think that Iowa State is above that, and that may be the only thing that would shock me...

CornFedIABoy

Jan 8, 2014
When you look back over the timeline on RV it's hard not to see this happening on the basketball side. Same with Anthony Lee, that OSU commit happened really quick when he already had other visits scheduled. I think it's fair to say ISU probably doesn't have this kind of network, or at least if we do it's not very competent.

Apr 19, 2006
If you aren't cheating you aren't trying! Although, if we are doing this we are either giving the kids food stamps or we just suck at cheating too! But as the saying goes "the rich get richer"!

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Slimy indeed. Definitely makes you wonder if that happens here ever.

Also, think Allan Lazard.....big time recruit...did other schools "test him" with this stuff?

Really fascinating in the article was the idea they can basically dictate recruiting visits and can blackball a coach out.

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
My hawk friends always talked about how Korie Lucious drove a brand new Dodge Challenger around campus. I've always wondered how he got that, this article made me think of that.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
All I saw was Rashad Vaughn written all over that especially the part where the article says you pay a recruit to not visit a different school. Remember how Rashad just all of a sudden canceled his UNC visit? And how they talk about car dealerships. Well Cliff Findlay owns a huge dealership! So easy to see.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Well, they did make a point to say that those in Agriculture have the most cash to divy out... I am sure it goes on to some extent here but that immediately made me think Texas A&M

ahaselhu

Sep 10, 2007
Clarinda, IA
Honestly, I'm just of the assumption at this point that college football is semi-pro, basically a minor leagues for football. We can complain about it and the NCAA can TRY to stop it, but it is never going away. There's alot of NCAA regulations in place to try to allow smaller schools such as ISU to remain competitive with the blue-bloods, but I think we can all agree it's not working.

Simple market economics. People are willing to pay for these athlete's services, so if they are looking to be paid they will get paid, one way or another.