I updated the Cy basketball logo - and Rucker Park thoughts

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
I saw the vintage basketball Cy logo on the new team gear - it's so easy to modernize, so I threw this together in 15 minutes.

DESIGN NOTES:

1.) Cy doesn't need ruffled shorts. Maybe Queen Victoria, but not our avian friend.

2.) Generic block logo changed to current logo shape.

3.) All whites. It's not 1940.

4.) I've never understood the socks. Is this puffy dough or what. Fixed!

5.) Cy is now a sneakerhead.

Done. Watch the Mickey D players line up at Hilton. Drop the banners. Collect the chips.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-20 at 2.47.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-20 at 2.47.41 PM.png
    222.8 KB · Views: 448

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
I saw the vintage basketball Cy logo on the new team gear - it's so easy to modernize, so I threw this together in 15 minutes.

DESIGN NOTES:

1.) Cy doesn't need ruffled shorts. Maybe Queen Victoria, but not our avian friend.

Done. Watch the Mickey D players line up at Hilton. Drop the banners. Collect the chips.
Need a Wilson logo on the ball....

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines

DESIGN NOTES:

Needs abs

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
With the amazing Rucker Park news, I'm bumping this to add new logo thoughts.

There are so many gaps like that in college sports that can be exploited by the Big 12. (Expanded Big 12 MBB league with Big East/NYC schools?)

Maybe the logo above is a Rucker Park exclusive. Have someone like Tyrese participate and do a play on the Harlem Globetrotters logo with an ISU spin.

Mel Mel the Abuser is probably the most prominent Rucker Park/ISU alum, but other great ISU players from NYC include Bill Cain and Zaid Abdul-Aziz (named Don Smith at ISU). Dr. J almost came to ISU as well.

Iowa is not cool. But ISU players are cool.

Don't be afraid of streetball culture or contemporary fashion like Virgil Abloh (rip). Expand the portfolio of ISU secondary and one-off logos. Custom Jordans. Don't sit back. Be aggressive.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
I think the opportunity for some REALLY unique branding exists with this. Can really set the conference apart and, if done right, really emphasize BY's "younger, cooler, hipper" mantra. Go all out. The more limited edition one off stuff the better.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Put something cool in the treads of the shoes. That is some large prominent real estate being wasted.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I know this was a joke, but thinking about it ... with the Rucker Park exclusive gear, have Nike make custom Jordans for ISU and update that logo to have Cy wearing those Jordans. One-off. Perfect. Done.

So are you going to let ISU roll out new BB CY? I'd get that on a tee/sweatshirt.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Apr 19, 2006

There are so many gaps like that in college sports that can be exploited by the Big 12. (Expanded Big 12 MBB league with Big East/NYC schools?)

Maybe the logo above is a Rucker Park exclusive. Have someone like Tyrese participate and do a play on the Harlem Globetrotters logo with an ISU spin.

Mel Mel the Abuser is probably the most prominent Rucker Park/ISU alum, but other great ISU players from NYC include Bill Cain and Zaid Abdul-Aziz (named Don Smith at ISU). Dr. J almost came to ISU as well.

Don't be afraid of streetball culture or contemporary fashion like Virgil Abloh (rip). Expand the portfolio of ISU secondary and one-off logos. Custom Jordans. Don't sit back. Be aggressive.
I thought Stinson was a big Rucker park guy? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Last edited:

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016

Speaking of fashion, whatever happened to that bape collab for the big 12 tournament?

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston

DESIGN NOTES:

Only change I'd make is his left hand doing a horns down.

• Haha
Reactions: 0u812 and Acer88

Apr 19, 2006
You're thinking of Tinsley. Stinson may have played there a few times but Tinsley is the Rucker Park legend. "Mel the Abuser" was what he was called.
I knew one of them was as the media seemed to mention Rucker Park a lot when talking about them.

Reactions: deadeyededric

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I knew one of them was as the media seemed to mention Rucker Park a lot when talking about them.
He was playing with the old dudes there by the time he was 15. That's pretty much what he did everyday instead of going to school. He ended up at a California JUCO because of some issue with him only having a GED.