clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
I have a neighbor that it’s just them in a large house with a three car garage and they can’t even fit their car in it because crap is piled so high.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Mine is on a continuous cycle from really organized to not at all organized and then back again. Currently it is hovering around not at all organized, but just my work bench and small stuff. Mower, snow blower, some bikes, and the cars. I don't understand having a garage so full of crap you can't park your cars in it.

• Agree
Reactions: BuffettClone

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
3 car garage here - we park both cars inside and have most of the third stall full as well with:

- Trash cans (will move to side of the house whenever I get around to building as little fence to block them)
- Work Bench/Tool box
- tools that don't fit in toolbox (table saw, miter saw, pressure washer, etc)
- lawnmower
- snowblower
- smoker - used to have a grill on the back deck, but it's not overly large and I get more neighbor interaction out front
- golf gear when not in the trunk
- kids bikes (parent bikes hung from ceiling)
- one shelving unit - rest of those are hung on walls (along with 2 ladders)

• Agree
Reactions: BuffettClone

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
It would probably be a lot less crap if it was one of those 2-car garages that fit something larger than 2 compact cars. It was also a hell of a lot more tidy before COVID affected our ability to refund cans and bottles.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
When we finally bought a house with a 2-car garage my wife and I made an agreement that both of our cars have to fit inside at any given time, and we’ve been able to abide by that. Although if you were to stop over now you would find both cars in the driveway, mostly because I didn’t feel like moving the kids bikes.

I have tons of overhead shelving for out of season clothes, toys, my 5-speaker surround sound that I hope to install again someday but my wife will probably never allow that, and all the baby/toddler items (crib/stroller/etc). The things that take up the most floor space are the lawnmowers, a deep freezer and a mini-fridge. I need to get a new snowblower in the next couple of weeks and I haven’t figured out where that is going to sit once winter hits.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I have a small two car garage, so I have to keep it pretty organized. I have two vehicles, a work bench, tools, ladders, shopvac, deep freeze and trash bins. Cars first.....always.

I recently built an underdeck storage area and moved my bikes, mower and power washer out there. I also put in a hoist in the garage for the jeep hardtop. Sooo much better.

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Toolbox
Cabinets/work bench combo
Riding mower
Golf cart
Snow blower
Booze fridge
Miter saw

My truck fits with about a foot from wall to bumper and bumper to garage door. Wife parks her Jeep at a bit of an angle to give the truck a bit more breathing room.

The tools I don't use a lot are up in the attic. I would say most of the time my garage is cleaned up. Middle of projects? Not so much.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
3 car-tandem (2 wide with one stall 2 deep)

Truck
SUV
Riding Mower
4-Wheeler
Kids Bikes (2)
Recycle Bin (garbage goes outside)
Odds and ends fill out the rest

I feel like we have plenty of room, but currently working on adding on so my oldest daughter’s car doesn’t have to sit outside during the winter. The add-on will be a full tandem, so we will essentially have a 5 car tandem (3 wide with 2 stalls, 2 deep). Will have room for a 3rd car, a deep freeze, beer fridge, couch and entertainment area when finished.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
We have a 3 car. First thing I did when we moved in was put up shelving all along the back wall, so we have plenty of storage out there for tools, lawn and garden equipment, sports equipment, etc. I've got rakes, shovels, brooms hung on one wall, and bikes hung on the other. We put two cars inside, and the third stall is for snowblower, grill, lawn mower, etc. Our old house had a terrible garage, so when we started looking for a new one, I wanted to make sure we got one that w ould be functional, but also look nice.

I'd really like to do an epoxy finish for the floor, but I'm not sure how difficult it would be.

Reactions: Angie

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Just moved from an oversized 4 car garage (room for 4 vehicles (2 tandem) PLUS lots of extra side space and room on the back - to a very small (19 x 20) two car garage.

I've spent most of the last 3 weeks sorting and organizing and deciding what to get rid of. I have my tools and a lot of my fathers plus a lot of stray stuff. I have my 55 Fairlane near one wall. There are ladders and a two-wheeler cart hanging behind them. Next to that is my Mustang with my Yamaha Majesty in front of that. That leaves about a 3 foot walkway from the front to the back next. Then against the other wall is a very small table with my air compressor and an air tank. Next to that are two metal shelves leveled and attached to the wall. That has most of the car stuff and tools along with assorted cans of screws, nuts, nails, bolts and batteries and chargers. Next to that is a small open space with a box of assorted wood and the recycle and garbage receptacles. Then in the back corner is a small slop sink with a hinged topper I can drop down to use as a work table. Along the back wall is a jack, a large shop vac and in the very corner is a garden tool caddy. Hanging above that are two bicycles and a yard cart. Next to the sink and adjacent to the door I have several looped hangers with screwdrivers, nutdrivers and pliers. There are also some pegged hangers in pretty much ever other lower wall space with saws, levels, squares etc. Extra electrical cords are hanging from the back of the garage door track. And lastly, there are two 4' shelves up high with some stuff I don't use much but didn't want to get rid of.

Amazingly enough I now KNOW what I have and WHERE it is. Before it was not necessary to be so organized because I had the luxury of being sloppy and unorganized.

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
It’s an architectural office right now. Have other farm buildings that have tools, parts, mowers and tractors And they all need organized and lots of stuff tossed

cybychoice

Jun 27, 2014
Ankeny
I have a small two car garage, so I have to keep it pretty organized. I have two vehicles, a work bench, tools, ladders, shopvac, deep freeze and trash bins. Cars first.....always.

I recently built an underdeck storage area and moved my bikes, mower and power washer out there. I also put in a hoist in the garage for the jeep hardtop. Sooo much better.

Just make sure you bleed the lines on the power washer or bring it inside before it freezes, that can do a lot of internal damage.

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Standard subrurbia three staller. Which means about 2' in front of the normal sized SUV to walk and the back bumper against the door.

We have one but I dont get why more people dont get sheds? They're cheap and all your lawn crap can go in there.

• Agree
Reactions: STATE12

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Mine is on a continuous cycle from really organized to not at all organized and then back again. Currently it is hovering around not at all organized, but just my work bench and small stuff. Mower, snow blower, some bikes, and the cars. I don't understand having a garage so full of crap you can't park your cars in it.
This is mine too. Right now I have boxes piled to the ceiling for moving which won't happen until Spring thanks to covid.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
When we finally bought a house with a 2-car garage my wife and I made an agreement that both of our cars have to fit inside at any given time, and we’ve been able to abide by that. Although if you were to stop over now you would find both cars in the driveway, mostly because I didn’t feel like moving the kids bikes.

I have tons of overhead shelving for out of season clothes, toys, my 5-speaker surround sound that I hope to install again someday but my wife will probably never allow that, and all the baby/toddler items (crib/stroller/etc). The things that take up the most floor space are the lawnmowers, a deep freezer and a mini-fridge. I need to get a new snowblower in the next couple of weeks and I haven’t figured out where that is going to sit once winter hits.
Lol, same

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
2 car garage. During the summer we don't fit cars in there with all the kid stuff and house project work. We're always doing something or building something so I have sawhorses up most of the summer with the latest project. During winter, all that gets moved to the shed to put cars in.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
I have a lot of standard stuff. Kid toys, tool box, storage, etc. It's a very small garage. Our mini-van barely fits. I could not fit a full size pickup. Too long & girthy.

But I refuse to be one of those people who can't park vehicles in the garage. So we make it work.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
larger 2 car garage, currently has
Fiancee's suv
motorcycle
riding mower
deep freeze
smoker
my 4 bikes
the stroller
wagon
other various toddler toys
coolers
and various other items.

somewhat working on majorly upgrading the lighting so I can hopefully actually use it for projects as well. will have about 7 4500 lumens LED strips plus 2 of those 3 way LED lights with about 12,000 lumens each as well.

should add that I have a 10x14 shed as well that holds the ladders, Kayaks, ATV, the snowblower/mower attachment for the rider when not in use, and some other tools/seasonal stuff

Last edited: