How much more can you take?

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Why does everyone use the "well it was a lot worse", "things could be a lot worse", "you should have seen things back in the day" excuses??? Like I said before, this is the exact attitude Jamie Pollard is trying to change. "We can't expect much because we are Iowa State and have been bad in the past"

Yes, I am an '04 grad. I can to ISU in 2000. Things weren't all that rosy for me.
2000 FB- Best year in ISU history. Expectations exceeded.
2000-1 BB- Great regular season. Big 12 title. Then 1 and done in both tournaments (Baylor and Hampton). Expectations not exceeded.
2001 FB- 7-5 season. Expectations not exceeded (maybe met)
2001-2 BB - 4-12 in the conference. Enough said.
2002 FB- #9 ranking only to lose on the Blue turf. Expectations not exceeded or even met.
2002-3 BB- 5-11 in the conference. Enough said.
2003 FB- 2-10. Enough said.
2003-4 BB- 7-9 in the conference. NIT final 4. Things are looking up. Expectations met.
2004 FB - 7-5 again. Although expectations were exceeded. But we had a chance to do something very special but chocked away.
2004-5 BB- Good things were expected with good results. We made it to the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament.
2005 FB- This was supposed to be the year. And we go 7-5 again and chock away another North title.
2005-6 BB- High expectations. About as disappointing as the football season although we didn't make ANY postseason tournament.
2006 FB- We all know how that turned out.
2006-7 BB- We all know how it's going to turn out.

So where are these "glory years"?

That's just it, there are no glory years. Maybe 1 single year 2000 could be the only good year worth hanging your hat on. But then in typical ISU fashion, we peed that one down our legs against MSU.

Everytime in the last 10 years ISU got close it turned into a house of cards built on a pool of gas, see MSU and the two missed filed goals (or int in the endzone on 1st and goal!)

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Question: What's another name for a Iowa Sytate/Drake/EIU sportsfan?
Answer: A waiter

But see EIU has tasted success, I hate them as much as any of you, but they have glory years in the last few to hang their hats on. Not in basketball, but until the last year KF and the football team has been kicking butt and taking names. 11-2 and a BCS game is something to be proud of. As much as I would love to think ISU could do that someday, I am not betting a mortgage payment on it.

DexterGreen

Mar 25, 2006
Hemau, Germany
Hate to break it to you, but historically, Iowa has had success in basketball, too. God, that hurt to type that. Now I'm going to cut off all my fingers.....

CyBandCG

Dec 11, 2006
Ames, IA
You know, I am also a Cubs fan on top of being and ISU fan, you think you would get used to getting punched in the stomach year in and year out. Yes the last couple of years have not been glourious or even met expectations, but we have a reason to be optimistic with all the changes being made. Just like how I am with the Cubs I am always optimistic at the beginning of year and it is always wait till next year.