How long would it take to build a new SEZ?

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
They could get a lower bowl done in an offseason. If you do two decks you'd just have to do what Clemson did and do it in phases. Get the lower bowl done the first offseason, do the upper deck and finishing work on both decks the second offseason. It'd take a little longer than say Clemson's or Iowa's endzone because I think theirs are both free standing structures and not attached where we want to take out the end sections and wrap the lower deck all the way around.

cyingreen

Nov 13, 2006
Jasper County
Just a farmer, not construction engineer, but if they are going to support the lower deck with earth, as the current lower decks are, it would take a while to shape the form and make sure it was packed/settled. Then they could pour the concrete for the lower deck. Perhaps have it done in one season, but in my mind a little iffy. Certainly a two construction season deal if an upper deck is planned immediately. (I didn't know one was. I thought we'd do the lower deck and see how the financials worked out.)
I checked the history of JTS. It took very nearly 2 years to build it, from Oct. '73 to Sep. '75. I know we're looking at only half a stadium with the SEZ, but it will take a while.

Last edited:

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
Without knowing what the SEZ will consist of and how complicated it may be.

Hard to estimate a construction schedule when you don't even know what you are building. Let the people involved figure it out when the time comes. No need to worry your pretty little head about it.

cyingreen

Nov 13, 2006
Jasper County
Hard to estimate a construction schedule when you don't even know what you are building. Let the people involved figure it out when the time comes. No need to worry your pretty little head about it.

True enough. But let's hope whatever is built blends into the older structure so it looks decent. Also, didn't recall the earth sliding thing delaying the building of JTS in the 70's. Perhaps it can be done more quickly.

fatkid1974

Apr 3, 2010
van down by the river
I would think they could do the demo at the end of season and earth work beginning in March. Depending on what underground utilities run through there I think they would do a main level in one off season and the second level in year 2. There are to many variables that come into play when doing remodels to get everything done in one year. The only guarantee when you are tying one building into another is it's never going to go as planned.

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
If everything was approved and a go right now- I would believe that work would begin immediately after the season would end. Demolition of the grandstand/big screen and also dirtwork can be done during the winter. Pilings and foundation in early spring. Framework/infrastructure/concrete done mid spring-early summer. Stadium seating/public safety measures in summer.

First level of SEZ would be ready for 2013 season. Also, not knowing what is going to be underneath the stands (visiting locker room?) may or may not be ready for the season. I also think that if there would to be a second deck to the SEZ it wouldn't be started until after the 2013 season and would be ready for the 2014 season.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'm betting there will be more to it than simply stands and that any understructure facilities will have to be at least roughed in (not necessarily finished) before the stands themselves could be completed. Because of this, I'm guessing that they will have to do without the south endzone seating for at least part of a season if not a whole season.

All the more reason to do it soon. At the current tack, they will have to displace a lot of season ticket holders entirely out of the stadium. This will be a tough pill to swallow. Of course it all comes down to money...

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Obviously, it's too late to do anything this year and after that, it comes down to money. IF they had their finances lined up sometime this summer, I would think that construction would start immediately after the last home game next year. My guess is that the stands and videoboard would be gone within a week or two. At that point, they need to start moving dirt. I would think that they would want the dirt moved and packed before the snow comes. Then in spring, they would be pouring footings and further packing the dirt. I think that they could easily get the lower level stands poured in an offseason. My question is whether they can do the upper level, the concourse, the restrooms/concessions and the entry gate/plaza in place by then. That seems a lot to ask in an offseason. I'm guessing that we don't see anything for a few years though.

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
I'm betting there will be more to it than simply stands and that any understructure facilities will have to be at least roughed in (not necessarily finished) before the stands themselves could be completed. Because of this, I'm guessing that they will have to do without the south endzone seating for at least part of a season if not a whole season.

All the more reason to do it soon. At the current tack, they will have to displace a lot of season ticket holders entirely out of the stadium. This will be a tough pill to swallow. Of course it all comes down to money...

I've thought of that as well...Although I work in Civil Eng...i have no clue about this. But my guess is they could at least get some sort of temporary bleachers put in above the new foundation for the season if they weren't going to be able to get permanent seating installed in time. But who knows...I guess it depends on how the foundation and the new substructure are designed. And if you have the concrete in...the permanent seats shouldn't be to tough to install.

colbycheese

Jun 11, 2010
Kansas
twitter.com
With enough money, all of the earth moving could get done during the winter. They make soil blankets, and even heated soil blankets to prevent frost. Pouring concrete might need to wait until warmer weather.

Reactions: ElephantPie
Jun 11, 2010
Urbandale, IA
I have experience with commercial construction and know a lot of the Weitz guys that managed the press tower, concourse renovations, and the scoreboard. The SEZ is significantly more complicated than any of those projects. The press box is the most complicated of those three and it was barely done in less than an offseason. The SEZ will absolutely take two years to complete, but the plan would almost certainly call for the bottom bowl to be completed in phase 1, which would be no small task to finish between November and September. I'm not even sure that they can do it, but reducing capacity by several thousand for an entire season would be a difficult sell.

This will happen, and likely in the next 5 years.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
It probably would also depend on how motivated ($) the AD was on the project. Afterall, they built and opened this 365 days after the contract was awarded.

I-35W Saint Anthony Falls Bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Agreed, with enough money you can build almost anything in any timeframe. I think most everyone is on the right track with the idea of doing the necessary dirt work and lower bowl structure in year one. Then complete the upper deck, and other infrastructure in year two.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Remember this rule:

*Good
*Cheap
*Fast

Pick up to two.

You can never get all three and if someone says they will deliver all three, they are lying.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Does the plan have a raised concrete concourse to match the east and west sides? That seems like an unbelievable amount of concrete, but would look absolutely amazing.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I have experience with commercial construction and know a lot of the Weitz guys that managed the press tower, concourse renovations, and the scoreboard. The SEZ is significantly more complicated than any of those projects. The press box is the most complicated of those three and it was barely done in less than an offseason. The SEZ will absolutely take two years to complete, but the plan would almost certainly call for the bottom bowl to be completed in phase 1, which would be no small task to finish between November and September. I'm not even sure that they can do it, but reducing capacity by several thousand for an entire season would be a difficult sell.

This will happen, and likely in the next 5 years.

I think the reduced capacity is a very interesting issue that has now popped up. We are pushing 40k season ticket holders this season. If you couldn't have at least the lower bowl done in an off-season, you probably wouldn't have enough ticket inventory just to cover season tickets and the visitor's allotment. As I recall when the plans were put out, they didn't just take out the bleachers that are in the south endzone now, but they also took out the southern most sections of the east and west stands. That could be 6000 seats or more removed from capacity for a season if the new lower bowl isn't available. Also, depending on the state of the work, the south hillsides may not be available either. It seems like they pack up to 2,500 per hillside, so that is another 5k in potential lost hillside capacity. Combined, you could be looking at a reduction of 11k in capacity for the first year of construction. If we did this today, tickets to a game would be awfully hard to come by. If we managed a couple more years of solid attendance growth before this project gets off the ground, it will be even uglier.