How far can Iowa go?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Well this Oklahoma State/OU game is bad defense according to Hok fans and since Okie State is #9 nationally in pass defense, and Michigan is #7, anyone should be able to pass on them.

That was a lot of open field for OSU today in Ann Arbor so even Iowa should do well.

Although WI can't cover a folding chair and IA couldn't pass that day so who knows.

• Informative
Reactions: dexterhawk

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I personally had all of the Iowa vs Wisconsin vs Minnesota games as pickems. All similar teams. Very good defense and so so offense. Minnesota actually impressed me by going as good as they did after losing all of their backs to injury and one transfer. In the round robin between the three they all went 1-1 with the home team winning. All close games except Iowa at Wisconsin.

• Agree
Reactions: Peter

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I personally had all of the Iowa vs Wisconsin vs Minnesota games as pickems. All similar teams. Very good defense and so so offense. Minnesota actually impressed me by going as good as they did after losing all of their backs to injury and one transfer. In the round robin between the three they all went 1-1 with the home team winning. All close games except Iowa at Wisconsin.
I watched a little and was reading USC smoke. Boat rower seems more like an LA guy than CMC.

• Agree
Reactions: madguy30

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I'll give you that, I really haven't watched much OSU football, their D just looks really bad tonight.
The play in the Big 12 looks like they do not play defense, because unlike the Big 10, where they have no QB's other than then the kid at Ohio St, that can make a play. Multiple teams in the Big 12 have QB's that can not only throw but run with the ball.

It's not great defense in the Big 10 as much as horrible QB play throughout the league, which makes the defenses look a lot better than what they really are.

Reactions: Peter

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
The play in the Big 12 looks like they do not play defense, because unlike the Big 10, where they have no QB's other than then the kid at Ohio St, that can make a play. Multiple teams in the Big 12 have QB's that can not only throw but run with the ball.

It's not great defense in the Big 10 as much as horrible QB play throughout the league, which makes the defenses look a lot better than what they really are.

Love the confidence you have in what you say.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Is 37-33 bad defense or is 42-27?

Former had less total yards between the two teams than the latter.

One team gave up almost 300 yards rushing. Another gave up 350 passing.

Neither of the above teams was in the 37-33 game.

Which game was the defense better in?

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
How many Big 10 QB's have been drafted in the first couple of rounds in the last decade, a couple, now take out the ones from Ohio St. and what is the number?

QB play in the Big 10 has been below average for years, lots of game managers, or pocket passers, that are not really good at throwing the ball. The reason Ohio State dominates the league is they have NFL quality QB's, year after year, the rest of the league just does not. Lots of player like the couple EIU has in the league, backups or 3rd string at best.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Quite a bit of confidence in what you say there.

Agree. Not sure if you watched OSU v. Michigan but the level of talent and playmaking on offense was pretty unreal. Those yards and those scores weren't a result of bad D, it was offensive skill position guys making unbelievable runs, ridiculous catches and passes. So many of those big plays actually happened against good defensive play, the O guys were just that good. Watching OSU v. OU was kind of the opposite. Guys running in wide open spaces and into massive holes on the OL. Just my observations.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Without developing some offense, probably not conf. champs and surely not CFP bound.

*Note that I am neither stating nor implying any claim of superiority by Iowa State, though that won't stop any Hawks from bringing it up :rolleyes:

Welp... good enough to win the big 10 west without an offense

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
How many Big 10 QB's have been drafted in the first couple of rounds in the last decade, a couple, now take out the ones from Ohio St. and what is the number?

QB play in the Big 10 has been below average for years, lots of game managers, or pocket passers, that are not really good at throwing the ball. The reason Ohio State dominates the league is they have NFL quality QB's, year after year, the rest of the league just does not. Lots of player like the couple EIU has in the league, backups or 3rd string at best.

Are you really wanting to talk NFL draft between conferences?

Reactions: cooper6911

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Agree. Not sure if you watched OSU v. Michigan but the level of talent and playmaking on offense was pretty unreal. Those yards and those scores weren't a result of bad D, it was offensive skill position guys making unbelievable runs, ridiculous catches and passes. So many of those big plays actually happened against good defensive play, the O guys were just that good. Watching OSU v. OU was kind of the opposite. Guys running in wide open spaces and into massive holes on the OL. Just my observations.

So you didn't watch either game very closely.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron